Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
timestamp="1383083475"]

Even if the 1.6s where given something to improve their performance, the vocal minority would shout it down as too costly. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it.

Dave[/quote]

Ding ding ding!!!!! There is the answer.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

and IMO should get some concession to encourage the cars to come back. !

F THAT!!!! Either the car is at parity or it isn't. I have no opinion either way. But to give it a concession just to get them to come back and without a parity case is a political move and an open attack on the NA 1.8 :P .

If car counts and what people are building is the new criteria for performance adjustments, then please remove the plate completely on the 1.8 and reduce the weight to 2300. I DO have the talent to write political cases without a technical foundation. Be glad to write those letters.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Thats great but the cars are supposed to be equal, and they can say all they want but for many money is no object and no one is building 1.6 cars for a good reason. 

There are two very good reasons based on the cars being equivalent.  Why would anyone, 

1.  Want to restore/refurbish a 20+ year old worn out car vs. 13 year miata (that will save you nothing by the way)

2.  Or want to constantly fiddle, tune and adjust for different environmental conditions vs. a plug and play 99+

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

And 40 to 50K for a 99 isn't

40 or 50k is costly.  That wasn't his point.  

He was referring to when the SMAC asked membership if the 1.6 drivers wanted the OPTION to update to the 99+ suspension and he got ripped apart the forum for something that wasn't even required as it being "too costly".

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:

2003 Spec Miata

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Hey Ron,

Good try!! I won't be writing any letters. Be happy to sign a few but no way no how am I going to author one. Here are my feelings about the subject though.

I feel there are reasons that talented people that have way more experience than me have abandoned their 94-97 builds and sold their cars. I feel there are reasons that you never see these years come up in these parity conversations, it's 1.6 or 99 in the conversation. I feel there is a reason that those years aren't represented well at the runoffs and national championships. I KNOW that I do NOT have the talent to present meaningful data for consideration by people that are smarter at this game than me, have more influence in the game than me, and have built way more cars than me. I believe that if those people don't think there is a problem, then that is good enough for me. I haven't heard from one engine builder on this or any other site that the 1.8 NA isn't anything other than on par with every other year. Drago, Tiley, Wheeler, Fowler, Collins, Blake, Daniels, ETC and others, can comment on that if they feel differently.

Without support from people like those above, I would be disappointed in the process if a guy like me with little data could influence a parity change and that a letter basically saying please help me out would even be considered. I would be disappointed to find out that the guys that can influence parity changes wouldn't do so if they truly thought it was necessary even if they knew it was helping to bring their competitors on par with them. I don't believe there is any other position than that to take from a guy like me.

I was very impressed with Ron after meeting him in person recently and I have strong confidence in Ron's ability to make a case that could compel the powers that be in the need for an adjustment for these years if one exists. I especially believe in Rons ability to point out subtleties in the car outside of just the engine that might affect overall performance that cannot be seen on the dyno. It is meeting guys like Ron, Johnny D, Webb, ETC, and talking with good people like I have mentioned above that has humbled my views in the last 2 years I have been a SM wrench and coach for my son. Hence my reduced and tempered responses to the site as of late.

And if for some reason my views are off base, building and succeeding in the 97 has become a point of pride for me. When we stand on the podium in a car that no one else wants, then respect for what my son and I have done will follow. And that's what makes the trophy priceless.

Thanks for the nice words...fact is I really know nothing! But I am good at listening to those who do and processing what I learn!

Do I think the 94-97 could use some help? Yes. Is it enough that a top prepped car and driver can't win against the same in a 99 or 1.6? No.
Jim's comment in regard to any written outrage is telling. I would at least think there would have been 2 letters :)

Sorry Mr York if my sarcasm was taken seriously....

BTW...for those keeping track, a well prepped 94 with a great wheel man has walked strong fields in 3 of its last 4 races at Sonoma. It put down the fastest qual and race times I have seen in 3 years!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Ron,

No I did not consider your post as anything other then well meant humor.

What is lost on the vocal few here, is that bitching like old maids on this forum WILL NOT get any rules changed.  

Personally, I would just like to see all the cars run the 01+ powertrain (since 99 engines are not manufactured) in a couple years and get the parity discussions over.  And provide provisions to allow cars to not have to upgrade.  

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:

2003 Spec Miata

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Personally, I would just like to see all the cars run the 01+ powertrain (since 99 engines are not manufactured) in a couple years and get the parity discussions over.  And provide provisions to allow cars to not have to upgrade.  

It makes no sense to upgrade an almost 15 year-old car. The smarter and most economic solution would be to reboot the class with only the 2006+ MX5 being eligible, with a much more stringent ruleset written to prevent creeping.

All NA and NB cars would compete in regional only class, maybe call it IT-Miata.

Vocal few?!?  I count exactly 13 people in the entire U.S. that give two shiz about this argument anymore.

Not with a bang but a whimper.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Let's cut to the chase:

1. The shape of the dyno curves (forget the absolute numbers because they vary from dyno to dyno) show that the three generations of engines make power in very different ways. The 1.6 is top-biased,. the 01 is bottom-biased and the 99 is in-between. The dyno simply confirms our on-track impressions.

I am reminded of how my father used to describe his philosophy of business negotiation: He would smile innocently, shrug his shoulders, show his palms and declare, "All I want is a fair advantage!" Think about it.

IMHJ, this post # 132 is well grounded and written by a non biased person. Point # 1 is why this thread was started. Way to many people get personally biased/side tracked and throw fluff around. The torque below 5,500 rpm for later year cars continues to rise and flatten. Taking weight off the 1.6 does nothing to support the 1.6 below 5,5000 rpm................ Equalizing the torque below 5,500 rpm and adding weight to the 1.6 takes it out of the game above 5,500 rpm. Bringing the 99 and newer engines torque lower to equal the 1.6 eliminates the only parity bitch I recall from 1.6 owners. If weight changes are required after the 99 and newer engines torque is lowered, use engineering calulated weight changes.

If one were to install a 1.6 engine in a 99 or newer chassis the issue will continue to exist. < This respone is for those with all the fluff improvements to the 1.6 through the 99 suspension and so on. The answer is not, procure a new car...... The answer is not, the same cars will win. The answer is not, shut up to those don't see eye to eye with the 99 and newer car owners. We have all ready heard the roar (not engine noise) about the engines newer than the 99. It's a pretty sad day for the class when the pointy end 99 owners need to upgrade to a newer year chassis to play in the Spec Miata game. I feel for any car owner whose day is close because newer car/engine technology is passing their current car technology. The 1.6er's have all ready seen that day.

Skip's father had it nailed.

Went back and read the latest posts. Ya got ot love the one timers.

Here's a one timer.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=okpj28E55U4

Oh my, was he below 5500 rpm and STILL pulled Pombo's bumper..........  it can't be.  I hear that is not possible.

I know I have ol eyes, maybe that's why I can't read the 5,500 rpm on the tach. How much tech was completed on this car. Naw, you don't answer questions.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Wow, We are coming off one of the best particpated years in club history and your perception is go out with a whimper. The class has certainly developed far from what it was in early 00's, that doesnt make it doomed or less successful. The facts prove the class is as healthy now as ever before. It is certainly different now, unfortunately we have left many good people along the way for many different reasons. People who werent around in those days think it is great now and it is, just different. IMO it is just the natural progression of a class.

Allowing the MX5 into Sm will be after my tenor on CRB ends next year as that is not doable IMO. The MX5 have a class, it is SM5, it is building slowly but surely. They should be able to correct some of the mistakes that were made in SM, but when all is said and done, SM5 will have similar issues as well, most of which we can't even think of right now.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

You misunderstood me Jim, I didn't mean that the MX5 be added to SM - I mean MX5 only should be SM. Older models no longer would be eligible, make a new regional only class for 1990-2005 . SM should be a single generation platform class. That way (almost) everyone has to start over, not just the 1.6 teams.

You want different, I give you different.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

It makes no sense to upgrade an almost 15 year-old car. The smarter and most economic solution would be to reboot the class with only the 2006+ MX5 being eligible, with a much more stringent ruleset written to prevent creeping.

All NA and NB cars would compete in regional only class, maybe call it IT-Miata.

Vocal few?!?  I count exactly 13 people in the entire U.S. that give two shiz about this argument anymore.

2006 is fine too.  Get the rules re-written.

James York

sponsored by: