chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
My home built 1.6 completely built by me having never even seen a spec Miata. Driven by me in my 3rd race ever. All corner exits are below 5000rpm. Car infront of me from 2nd lap on is a pro built no expense spared 99 powered by a very well known engine builder. Total cost too build car was 13,500 and 200 hrs of my time
http://youtu.be/78ZGcbJYWXk
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
This makes me laugh !

The reason I say this is, a lot of you 99 guys take this personally and are so quick to deny the fact that at most tracks it is the car to have. I will say open your FN eyes and look at the facts. You guys are doing more complaining then the guys with the 1.6 and if you are that worryed of the 1.6 get any help your not that good of a driver. The fact is look at most of the good drivers that have been in this class and what they used to drive (1.6 ). They then moved on to 99,00,01 etc.... And why did they do this, because the 1.6 IS NOT the car to have. Yes the 1.6 might be good on flat smooth flowing tracks but there are only a few of those around the US.

Just look at the runoffs,how many 1.6 cars were in the field ? There is your answer case closed. They are only good at a couple of tracks and NONE of the top guys are driving a 1.6 I'm not trying to get anything changed because I'm going to build a new car and I don't want the rules to change because I will be just waiting my money. Keep fighting 99 guys because next season I will be on your side ! :)
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

laugh if you like but maybe this will make it less funny.that video was 2010 Saturday at texas motor speedway my fastest race lap was 1:41.842  in 2011 I went back with 11 weekends more race experience in a 25000 plus 99 with drago power and turned a best lap on Saturday of 1:41.848 even more too the point the race was won by the same person both years

X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

laugh if you like but maybe this will make it less funny.that video was 2010 Saturday at texas motor speedway my fastest race lap was 1:41.842 in 2011 I went back with 11 weekends more race experience in a 25000 plus 99 with drago power and turned a best lap on Saturday of 1:41.848 even more too the point the race was won by the same person both years

Chris,your video makes my point flat and smooth flowing tracks the cars are equal ! :)
Slow corners and corners with any up hills the 99 is better and kills the 1.6.
  • Bench Racer likes this
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Pretty big off peak power climb out of last corner onto banking. And I sucked really bad back then lol
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
Yes I do agree the 1.6 does have some good top end but on tight tracks it does no good .
Kuch

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

The fact is look at most of the good drivers that have been in this class and what they used to drive (1.6 ). They then moved on to 99,00,01 etc.... And why did they do this, because the 1.6 IS NOT the car to have. Yes the 1.6 might be good on flat smooth flowing tracks but there are only a few of those around the US.

People switching chassis on its own (or people picking a car in order to win one race at one track...) is not evidence of anything.  If the cars are 100% equal, NOBODY picks the chassis that is 7-10 years older and harder to keep in tune. Nobody doing a new build chooses a 1.6 car unless they have some investment that keeps them there (parts, knowledge, nostalgia, love of pop-up headlights, etc).

Let's stay focused on quantifiable, addressable issues like the curve under 5500rpm.

• Bench Racer and Jim Drago like this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Yes I do agree the 1.6 does have some good top end but on tight tracks it does no good .

Daytona! Its coming!

• Charlie Hayes likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

..... I'm going to build a new car and I don't want the rules to change because I will be just waiting my money. Keep fighting 99 guys because next season I will be on your side ! :)

Don't be disappointed when you don't move up the grid... unless of course your 1.6L is a tired terd and it needed to be overhauled anyway.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
Let me ask you a simple question for a 1.6 owner. If you were a 1.6 owner and had under let's say 120hp would you buy a new motor,new suspension,ecu, etc..... or sell and put the 10k into a 99 or newer ?

Oh that's right it is an old model and well under developed but worth putting the money into it because its still competitive,am I right ?

Just wanted to know before I waist my money because I'm a little confused. A 1.6 can win the runoffs with a 128hp,a cheated up ecu,great setup,new tires,tons of dyno time (set timing and a/f ratios for every track) and a unbelievable driver is this correct ?

Man,if this is correct I can't see why more people aren't running them,what am I missing ?

Just keep in mind I'm just asking simple questions and having some fun with this so try not to get to upset guys ! ;)
Kuch

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Dewhurst must be vacation or something?  This thing has gone into yet another parity post, try and funnel that stuff into the parity thread and leave this for the Tq under 5500.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Let me ask you a simple question for a 1.6 owner. If you were a 1.6 owner and had under let's say 120hp would you buy a new motor,new suspension,ecu, etc..... or sell and put the 10k into a 99 or newer ?

Oh that's right it is an old model and well under developed but worth putting the money into it because its still competitive,am I right ?

Just wanted to know before I waist my money because I'm a little confused. A 1.6 can win the runoffs with a 128hp,a cheated up ecu,great setup,new tires,tons of dyno time (set timing and a/f ratios for every track) and a unbelievable driver is this correct ?

Man,if this is correct I can't see why more people aren't running them,what am I missing ?

Just keep in mind I'm just asking simple questions and having some fun with this so try not to get to upset guys ! ;)

It's all about the torque under 5500 rpm.  You didn't get that?

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Dewhurst must be vacation or something?  This thing has gone into yet another parity post, try and funnel that stuff into the parity thread and leave this for the Tq under 5500.

My bad Jim, I had a couple of drinks and thought this was kind of the same thing. If you can you can move my post to the correct spot.
Kuch

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

NP , but we can always continue the fun over there :)

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Let's stay focused on quantifiable, addressable issues like the curve under 5500rpm.

Dewhurst must be vacation or something?  

, try and funnel that stuff into the parity thread and leave this for the Tq under 5500.

I'm back.  :bigsquaregrin:

Let's try this again. Were no-where so far.

Let's take the "reasons we can't do things" blinders off :o including the cost and make the torque for all spec lines more equal under 5,500 rpm or 5252 it that trips your trigger. The torque is more equal above 5,500 rpm, which is not difficult to figure out why. Many of Kuch's friends have stated, 1.6er's use your racecraft to over come the torque being less-equal below 5,500 rpm (allowed by the rules makers). Sure, for whatever reason race below 5,500 rpm "?" times per lap and use the remainder of the lap to catch back up. These same Kuch friends have indicated they can live with their torque under 5,500 rpm (allowed by the rules makers). hale, the 1.6er's could also live with torque below 5,500 rpm more equal to Kuch's friends. If the torque were more equal below 5,500 rpm this thread would not exist. Also if the torque were more equal below 5,500 rpm there would be one less issue within the "P" threads. Today when equalization of different SMCS spec lines are considered the first items that surface are torque, horsepower and weight. It dosen't matter if one looks at the Drago dyno tq/hp graph or an OEM dyno tq/hp graph one visualizes the same less-equal torque below 5,500 rpm's. It's a given that we race below 5,500 rpm therefore why did the rules makers throw the baby (1.6) out with the bath water (torque difference). 

Remember, blinders off brainstorming is what were doing. If it costs a gazillion dollars to bring the 1.6 torque below 5,500 rpm to be more equal to Kuch's friends torque, why not make the torque more equal in another fashion. Hint, hint, please remember Kuch's friends aren't concerned about the unequal torque of the 1.6 below 5,500 rpm's.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Still no letter asking for anything for the 1.6 cars. So there was nothing to talk about :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

I'm back.  :bigsquaregrin:

Let's try this again. Were no-where so far.

Let's take the "reasons we can't do things" blinders off :o including the cost and make the torque for all spec lines more equal under 5,500 rpm or 5252 it that trips your trigger. The torque is more equal above 5,500 rpm, which is not difficult to figure out why. Many of Kuch's friends have stated, 1.6er's use your racecraft to over come the torque being less-equal below 5,500 rpm (allowed by the rules makers). Sure, for whatever reason race below 5,500 rpm "?" times per lap and use the remainder of the lap to catch back up. These same Kuch friends have indicated they can live with their torque under 5,500 rpm (allowed by the rules makers). hale, the 1.6er's could also live with torque below 5,500 rpm more equal to Kuch's friends. If the torque were more equal below 5,500 rpm this thread would not exist. Also if the torque were more equal below 5,500 rpm there would be one less issue within the "P" threads. Today when equalization of different SMCS spec lines are considered the first items that surface are torque, horsepower and weight. It dosen't matter if one looks at the Drago dyno tq/hp graph or an OEM dyno tq/hp graph one visualizes the same less-equal torque below 5,500 rpm's. It's a given that we race below 5,500 rpm therefore why did the rules makers throw the baby (1.6) out with the bath water (torque difference). 

Remember, blinders off brainstorming is what were doing. If it costs a gazillion dollars to bring the 1.6 torque below 5,500 rpm to be more equal to Kuch's friends torque, why not make the torque more equal in another fashion. Hint, hint, please remember Kuch's friends aren't concerned about the unequal torque of the 1.6 below 5,500 rpm's.

Okay, let's do this again.  Why don't you do some leg work to actually come up with a proposal yourself and what the costs would be.  The motors builders here don't see the same issue as you so why should they expend any effort to fix YOUR problem.

Go talk to a few of the hundreds of motor builders out there and get a feel for what can be done.  Present a solution, cost and write your letter.  I am sure if its viable, people won't have an issue with helping the torque and slapping weight on the 1.6L.  But constantly posting the same message over and over, is not going to get you anything or anywhere.  Get the 1.6 vocal few together and go solve your problem.

• Jim Drago likes this

James York

sponsored by: