pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

I guess all the comments on this site about parity have slipped your mind Jim. 

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

If I were in the motor business, I wouldn't see an issue either.

"A few hundreds of motor builders". Really..... 

Actually it would benefit the SM motor builders to see an issue here since they might have the opportunity to turn over a lot of 1.6L engines with whatever modification you figure out.

And yes a few "of the hundreds" of motor builders.  (if you are going to try to quote me, do it right).  And yes there are hundreds of motor builders.  I didn't say SM motor builders, don't wear blinders.  Our engines are not unique or some high evolution of technology by any means.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Spoken like a true blooded 99 driver :) Still can't help you DD...got my own battle to fight with the underdog NA 1.8...waiting for Jamz to draft a letter that I can sign :)

Hey Ron,

Good try!! I won't be writing any letters. Be happy to sign a few but no way no how am I going to author one. Here are my feelings about the subject though.

I feel there are reasons that talented people that have way more experience than me have abandoned their 94-97 builds and sold their cars. I feel there are reasons that you never see these years come up in these parity conversations, it's 1.6 or 99 in the conversation. I feel there is a reason that those years aren't represented well at the runoffs and national championships. I KNOW that I do NOT have the talent to present meaningful data for consideration by people that are smarter at this game than me, have more influence in the game than me, and have built way more cars than me. I believe that if those people don't think there is a problem, then that is good enough for me. I haven't heard from one engine builder on this or any other site that the 1.8 NA isn't anything other than on par with every other year. Drago, Tiley, Wheeler, Fowler, Collins, Blake, Daniels, ETC and others, can comment on that if they feel differently.

Without support from people like those above, I would be disappointed in the process if a guy like me with little data could influence a parity change and that a letter basically saying please help me out would even be considered. I would be disappointed to find out that the guys that can influence parity changes wouldn't do so if they truly thought it was necessary even if they knew it was helping to bring their competitors on par with them. I don't believe there is any other position than that to take from a guy like me.

I was very impressed with Ron after meeting him in person recently and I have strong confidence in Ron's ability to make a case that could compel the powers that be in the need for an adjustment for these years if one exists. I especially believe in Rons ability to point out subtleties in the car outside of just the engine that might affect overall performance that cannot be seen on the dyno. It is meeting guys like Ron, Johnny D, Webb, ETC, and talking with good people like I have mentioned above that has humbled my views in the last 2 years I have been a SM wrench and coach for my son. Hence my reduced and tempered responses to the site as of late.

And if for some reason my views are off base, building and succeeding in the 97 has become a point of pride for me. When we stand on the podium in a car that no one else wants, then respect for what my son and I have done will follow. And that's what makes the trophy priceless.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Spoken like a true blooded 99 driver :) Still can't help you DD...got my own battle to fight with the underdog NA 1.8...waiting for Jamz to draft a letter that I can sign :)

My thoughts are, if it really is important for a person, they will gladly do whatever work it takes to find a solution.  If they only complain but otherwise do nothing, it must not really be a big deal.

As Jim indicated, lots of noise here by a few, but not one person expended the effort to even submit a letter.......  

The problem is that the cars will NEVER be equal until the chassis and engine are EXACTLY the same (then we could argue aero I guess).  The best anyone can do, is to establish them EQUIVALENT over the distance of a lap at a TYPICAL/AVERAGE track.  This will mean, at some points of the track, each car may be better or worse than the other, and at different tracks each car may be better or worse.  No way around this.  

• Brocodile likes this

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:

2003 Spec Miata

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I am sure if its viable, people won't have an issue with helping the torque and slapping weight on the 1.6L.  

This ^ was intentially left alone in my previous post.

If the torque of the 1.6 and newer engines were the same as they are today above 5,500 rpm and the torque below 5,500 rpm were more equal, how much weight would you recomend be added to the 1.6?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I guess all the comments on this site about parity have slipped your mind Jim. 

Pat

I have told you and everyone on this site, your posts here are chatter and meaningless in terms of rules or parity adjustments.

Again the way the system works.. send a letter in.. SMAC reviews all the letters and makes recommendations to the CRB ( my level). Rarely ( never since I have been on CRB) has the CRB over ridden SMAC on decisions.

Outside of a letter being submitted, once a year, parity is addressed on a SMAC conference call( usually the call after the Runoffs) That call was last week and there was no support for any changes.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I dont even know what that means, but I'm sure it isnt a compliment.

It was a comment to Ron that adding a name or several names to one (1) letter is not a value added process. Value added would be each person sending a separate letter.  Nothing more, nothing less...........:bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

This ^ was intentially left alone in my previous post.

If the torque of the 1.6 and newer engines were the same as they are today above 5,500 rpm and the torque below 5,500 rpm were more equal, how much weight would you recomend be added to the 1.6?

What is more equal?  That is not a value that can be measured.

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:

2003 Spec Miata

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I so glad the thread is back on topic.  :rotfl: 

J~

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UXoNE14U_zM

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

It was a comment to Ron that adding a name or several names to one (1) letter is not a value added process. Value added would be each person sending a separate letter.  Nothing more, nothing less........... :bigsquaregrin:

I would agree with that..

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

What is more equal?  That is not a value that can be measured.

I'll play your silly little game.

If the torque of the 1.6 and newer engines were the same as they are today above 5,500 rpm and the torque below 5,500 rpm are equal, how much weight would you recomend be added to the 1.6?

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

I'll play your silly little game.

If the torque of the 1.6 and newer engines were the same as they are today above 5,500 rpm and the torque below 5,500 rpm are equal, how much weight would you recomend be added to the 1.6?

I am not here to entertain you then, figure it out yourself.  

It doesn't matter anyway, nothing will satisfy you.  Just write your letter to the SMAC and let the club decide on your suggestion.  Whatever the rules are, I will follow.

James York

sponsored by: