Photo

1.6 torque & 99 torque below 5,500 rpm with no masking

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

:optimist:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Dumb luck on my part. Was looking for a donor and ran across a 99 for 1k on CL.

Rented a 94 for a few seasons before I bought, ran some 1.6 too, but always owned a 99.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

does it count when you drive a 95 model 2 seconds faster then a 99????  I think the 99 needs more power!!!  that or we need to make the 95 and and the 1.6 run the 4:10 rear end so that therte is parity with the 99 :) 

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Ok, hate to be kill joy ( Ok I like it a little) But bench started a topic.. All the parity BS started with Pats post should be deleted or put in the parity thread again. I don't "think" the goal was to start yet another parity thread, but who knows. Please stick to the Tq disparity and what can be done there. I think there was exactly zero ideas posted so far. :)

Jim
  • Bench Racer likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

does it count when you drive a 95 model 2 seconds faster then a 99????  I think the 99 needs more power!!!  that or we need to make the 95 and and the 1.6 run the 4:10 rear end so that therte is parity with the 99 :)

Ya know we can all point to a race here or there or a lap here where one year car did better than another.  Or we can point to 1 car. None of that matters. The body of work (not to be confused with body work) by each type of car and the choices that racers make as a whole says it all.  Forget the opinions (including mine).  If those intent on winning (which is a lot of drivers in our class) thought the '95 was the car to have then you would see mostly '95's on the race track and at the top of the results.   Same could be said for the 1.6. There may be some regional differences that could be explained by the style of tracks in those areas and the local choice of cars.

Just like in financial markets, capital moves away places where it is treated harshly.  Racers vote with their pocket books too.  

• pat slattery likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Ya know we can all point to a race here or there or a lap here where one year car did better than another.  Or we can point to 1 car. None of that matters. The body of work (not to be confused with body work) by each type of car and the choices that racers make as a whole says it all.  Forget the opinions (including mine).  If those intent on winning (which is a lot of drivers in our class) thought the '95 was the car to have then you would see mostly '95's on the race track and at the top of the results.   Same could be said for the 1.6. There may be some regional differences that could be explained by the style of tracks in those areas and the local choice of cars.

Just like in financial markets, capital moves away places where it is treated harshly.  Racers vote with their pocket books too.  

Were you asking for a bell curve here?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Let the 1.6 cars run .040 over, stock compression pistons from Mazda.

That should boost torque some without being ridiculous.

If the torque #'s get closer, so should the weights.

I still like the idea of same motor and suspension eventually, with the only difference being headlights.

• Kyle Freiheit likes this

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Freiheit

Kyle Freiheit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:8

I used to be on the fence about the 99 engine, suspension, diff swap but now I am for it. 

For some it will make sense to just sell and build a 99+. Others it will make sense to swap everything over. Having the choice would make sense. Oh.... just so we are on topic... the same engine in the car is what fixes the torque.  :toast:

Kyle

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

A devil's advocate would say the following:

If SM would end up being 99s only (btw, the only way to make cars super equal), would the total average differences between stock engines be smaller than the total average differences across many engine builders? If true, could we drop the PRO build motors and save $7000?.  After all, aren't we all for equal and more affordable racing?   

Bench Racer, torque graph presented like that is sort of misleading, because it does not account for car's weight.  It also does not show the average RPM during the race per SM type.  Once you have the RPM range plus the time spend at different RPM intervals, account for weight differences, across multiple tracks, you can calculate which car has an advantage, and by how much. 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

A devil's advocate would say the following:

If SM would end up being 99s only (btw, the only way to make cars super equal), would the total average differences between stock engines be smaller than the total average differences across many engine builders? If true, could we drop the PRO build motors and save $7000?.  After all, aren't we all for equal and more affordable racing?

First there are no longer any crate 99/00 engines. To answer your question, look at the Runoffs, there is virtually no difference in pro built 99/00 engines, all were VERY close, far closer than crates would be if they were available IMO

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

First there are no longer any crate 99/00 engines. To answer your question, look at the Runoffs, there is virtually no difference in pro built 99/00 engines, all were VERY close, far closer than crates would be if they were available IMO

Ahmmm....torque anyone? anyone? Bueller? :D

Bench Racer, torque graph presented like that is sort of misleading, because it does not account for car's weight.  It also does not show the average RPM during the race per SM type.  Once you have the RPM range plus the time spend at different RPM intervals, account for weight differences, across multiple tracks, you can calculate which car has an advantage, and by how much. 

Come on genius...enough gobbledygook.  The question here is how do you get more torque out of a 1.6 at specifically the lower range of rpm's we run in?? And do so without disrupting the current parity  :duck: 

• Jim Drago likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Number:11
As I stated in the parity thread, the key seems to be a restrictor plate to remove the 'top prep' the 1.6 requires. Maybe .040 over pistons like was mentioned, I believe I suggested a spec header and spec flywheel, or maybe just some spec cams. Whatever the performance modification, it needs to put the 1.6 into the high 130hp range at least so it can then be restricted via restrictor plate. You'd then gain all the torque down low from the modifications but with a top end dialed back. Parity would then be easy adjustable through all 4 models using both weight and restrictor size when needed.
-David Schroeder

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:56

Engine management for 1.6  :optimist:

• pat slattery likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Bench Racer, torque graph presented like that is sort of misleading, because it does not account for car's weight. 

It also does not show the average RPM during the race per SM type. 

Once you have the RPM range plus the time spend at different RPM intervals, account for weight differences, across multiple tracks, you can calculate which car has an advantage, and by how much. 

IMHJ, not for folks who can visualize and have a feel. Use a percentage number or convert the torques of the 1.6 and 99 at 4,000 rpm to a pound load, it's quite eye opening. Then do the same at each 500 rpm increment.   

There is a comment of frequency of racing below 5,500 rpm in the opening post.  You have a 1990, how do you make out below 5,500 rpm with the 99?

To get some thoughts moving I used the KISS principle.  There have been some how to make the torque more equal between the 1.6 and 99 thoughts posted.

Some ideas may be off the charts, it doesn't cost anything to post ideas.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

As I stated in the parity thread, the key seems to be a restrictor plate to remove the 'top prep' the 1.6 requires. Maybe .040 over pistons like was mentioned, I believe I suggested a spec header and spec flywheel, or maybe just some spec cams. Whatever the performance modification, it needs to put the 1.6 into the high 130hp range at least so it can then be restricted via restrictor plate. You'd then gain all the torque down low from the modifications but with a top end dialed back. Parity would then be easy adjustable through all 4 models using both weight and restrictor size when needed.

This is the only post in the entire thread that makes any sense at all IMO. That being said, I am glad you made it and not me :) So you are saying we need to spend all this money on our 1.6 cars to go faster only for you to restrict us down? :) A huge issue is RP engine versus non RP engine. The more we restrict the 99+, the flatter the curves become and more are under the curve.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18

it would be a lot easier to remove the restrictor from the 99+  :bomb:

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Number:11

This is the only post in the entire thread that makes any sense at all IMO. That being said, I am glad you made it and not me :) So you are saying we need to spend all this money on our 1.6 cars to go faster only for you to restrict us down? :) A huge issue is RP engine versus non RP engine. The more we restrict the 99+, the flatter the curves become and more are under the curve.

I guess I don't see it as spending a whole lot of money. I figured for about $1000 we could get where we want. Take a look at this header http://www.racingbea...ders/56005.html

They showed a 4hp gain on a presumed stock 1.6. Now add the already approved intake, exhaust, and fp tuning ability (also possibly a lightened flywheel) and it should get us to our goal since we will be able to tune the car to the header more so than racing beat could.

The RP issue actually is a benefit in my eyes. It masks the quirks with each motor and keeps overall costs down by eliminating the need to push engine tolerances so far to the limit that we need to do frequent rebuilds or possibly blown motors. RPs also keep the abuse down (assuming you don't go from 3rd to 2nd at the runoffs) since we are only going 3/4 throttle. All combined these motors last considerably longer than normal 'race' motors.

The goal should be to get all four cars on RPs and possibly start opening them up a little more. Like you said, this would help bring some of the flatness out of the curves.
-David Schroeder

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18

Why not different SM classes all under the SM class, instead of trying again and again to equalize cars that are truly not the same.  All we keep doing is added cost for what should be a SPEC class. 

SM 1.6 90-93

SM 1.8A 94-95

SM 1.8B 96-97

SM 99-00

SM 01-05

Would that allow more people to bring there cars to the races knowing they can compete within their class

Also the benefits for equalizing the cars at a certain RPM can go out of the window based on the track, Wouldn't it?

But then again, I am high on Caffeine today!

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Brainstorming, freelancing, whatever brings players into the thread. Good stuff folks, keep er going.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

I don't proclaim to know the best method to increase the 1.6 torque, I have heard lighter flywheel, and than others say that will do nothing.  I have heard bigger pistons, headers, Todd is talking about engine management.  Who knows what these moves will do.  Hopefully someone that is an engine builder can enlighten the masses.   

What about removing the restrictors on the 99 and giving the 1.6 something to catch up to the 99.  I don't have the answers, hopefully the engine builders might, but the 1.6 and I am sure the 1.8 also needs help.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users