steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

Why not different SM classes all under the SM class, instead of trying again and again to equalize cars that are truly not the same.  All we keep doing is added cost for what should be a SPEC class. 

SM 1.6 90-93

SM 1.8A 94-95

SM 1.8B 96-97

SM 99-00

SM 01-05

Would that allow more people to bring there cars to the races knowing they can compete within their class

Also the benefits for equalizing the cars at a certain RPM can go out of the window based on the track, Wouldn't it?

But then again, I am high on Caffeine today!

Have you been talking to Kreepy Karl?

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18

HELLS NO!

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

He ALWAYS reved up the noted others and got some discussion going. Hey, if he's got some ideas let em fly. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

...look at the Runoffs, there is virtually no difference in pro built 99/00 engines, all were VERY close, far closer than crates would be if they were available IMO

Definitely a "close" race.  Does that mean the engines were "VERY close" in terms of HP and torque?

• AW33COM likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Why not different SM classes all under the SM class, instead of trying again and again to equalize cars that are truly not the same.  All we keep doing is added cost for what should be a SPEC class. 

SM 1.6 90-93

SM 1.8A 94-95

SM 1.8B 96-97

SM 99-00

SM 01-05

Would that allow more people to bring there cars to the races knowing they can compete within their class

Also the benefits for equalizing the cars at a certain RPM can go out of the window based on the track, Wouldn't it?

But then again, I am high on Caffeine today!

You are one of the smartest guys in the room.  Anyone who recognizes that the '94-'95 is different than the '96-'97 needs to send a resume to the SCCA CRB and get on the SMAC and educate (or armwrestle) the rest of them.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Definitely a "close" race.  Does that mean the engines were "VERY close" in terms of HP and torque?

I have never felt race results were a great indication, A close race does not mean always mean that the HP and TQ were close.

I would say, look how close the top 15 -20 were in qualifying times that is a pretty good indication that the cars are very close in HP and TQ
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

The question is, how can we make the torque more equal between the 1.6 and the 99 below 5,500 rpm? occuring on the left coast. 

Thanks to Jim Drago for posting the dyno files.

David Dewhurst

Blue is the 2002

Purple is the 1999

Red is the 1.6

90v99v02_zps4933c905.jpgmmm

If we take a different direction, the discussion has been increasing the 1.6 torque to the 99 torque values. What if we examine how the 99 plus achives greater torque and the 02 has more torque yet and a flater curven below 5,000 rpm. Come on folks with the know, share with we who don't know. Along with the extra .2 L, is the variable length intake manifold one of the big players and .5 increase in compression for the 02?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

If we take a different direction, the discussion has been increasing the 1.6 torque to the 99 torque values. What if we examine how the 99 plus achives greater torque and the 02 has more torque yet and a flater curven below 5,000 rpm. Come on folks with the know, share with we who don't know. Along with the extra .2 L, is the variable length intake manifold one of the big players and .5 increase in compression for the 02?

The greater power is the result of good engineers responding to the marketing department's request to develop a more powerful engine for the '99 that they can promote along with the good looks of the new wind tunnel designed body and the revised suspension. Higher compression, different cams, variable intake manifold, different throttle body, different ignition and fuel management systems, different injectors and a different exhaust manifold.  

The '01 was a bit of a flop as they advertised 155HP but never delivered and early buyers of these cars got a refund from Mazda.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

If torque is the issue what about just having the 99-05's defeat the variable intake runner so that it defaults to the high rpm runner and not the low end torque one.  I'm not a motor guy, but how hard would that be.....

For the record I don't really see the need for any changes and would leave it all alone, but since the question was asked I'm simply throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks.

Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

If torque is the issue what about just having the 99-05's defeat the variable intake runner so that it defaults to the high rpm runner and not the low end torque one.  I'm not a motor guy, but how hard would that be.....

Sean

Interesting that the 99 lower rpm runners/path (longer than high rpm runners) and the higher rpm runners/path (shorter than low rpm runners) are not actually true different lengths with the 99 intake as they are with some other marquee. The butterflys open the lower rpm long runners/path into a resonance chamber creating a  situation similar to having higher rpm shorter runners/path. Therefore default to open butterflys. Anyone test this with butterflys secured open for low rpm torque results/difference? Hey, as I said in the Runoffs lunch meeting, I'm not a motor guy, only trying to learn on your dimes.

Drago?

Wheeler?

Wheel?

Colins?

Anybody?

img_3639.jpg

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

with disconnected they make less Peak Tq for sure on 99/00. 01/05 does not use the same type of intake at all and does not work remotely similar. 

For your benefit ... watch Steyn Sprints video, in addition to the diff issue we spoke about ( which was 95% of my issue) I ran that entire race with it not working. (bad selenoid valve)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

It is hard to see on the dyno graph posted above. I use a different scale on my dyno, 60-140 hp versus the 0-140 shown here. If you look closely at the 99 horsepower curve, right at 5200 rpm, there is a dip. That dip is when the VIX opens. As I said, on a different scale the dip is very noticable. If the dip is not there, you have a modified ECU.

I am firmly in the camp of the 1.6 not needing any special rules adjustment. They are 3-5 years behind on developement when compared to the 99-00 and a couple years behind the 01-05 cars. Out side of Todds car, a full blown 1.6 car has not been built in years. And that car is now 2 years old.

I am in favor of 99 suspension and allowing 1.6 cars to update to NA1.8 engines. Then leave plates and weights alone.

Dave

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Dave, with there being plenty of 1.6 cars out there, why has there not been more development.  It  would certainly be cheaper to take a 1.6 car that you already own than building a $25,000 or more 99 car.  Seems that the problem still is the torque issue in the bottom range, and that is using Todds car as a reference.  I would still like to hear other engine builders that are getting those 1.6 numbers routinely.  I doubt we will.

• AW33COM likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I would still like to hear other engine builders that are getting those 1.6 numbers routinely.  I doubt we will.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful Pat :) I can't help it if we are better than the rest :)
  • pat slattery likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
Just give the 1.6 a little help so I can sell mine for a little more then $ 7k then change it back ! :)
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful Pat :) I can't help it if we are better than the rest :)

And the torque numbers say your not as beautiful as you claim. Because Todds/??? 1.6 is no better than other 1.6's when it's forced a couple times per lap for what ever reason to race below 5,000 rpm's.

The 99 wins each of those drag races and that's lost time. :bigsquaregrin:

The dyno graphs show no 1.6 beauty below 5,000 rpm compared to the 99. The left coast 1.6's show these same symptoms.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

And the torque numbers say your not as beautiful as you claim. Because Todds/??? 1.6 is no better than other 1.6's when it's forced a couple times per lap for what ever reason to race below 5,000 rpm's.
The dyno graphs show no 1.6 beauty below 5,000 rpm compared to the 99. The left coast 1.6's show these same symptoms.

• Johnny D, B(Kuch)Kucera45, James York and 1 other like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

^ Typical default.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Typical post chicken little.....

Disney-Chicken-Little.jpg

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA