Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

This thread is finally getting to the point. To summarize:

1. The picture is much larger than hp and tq.

2. From a mechanical standpoint, it's a holistic thing - it's about the whole car. A simple dragging caliper can invisibly negate all that expensive hp. A poor setup can delay you from getting back to throttle out of a critical corner by a precious tenth or two, again negating the benefit of a monster motor. Neglected maintenance can result in broken belts and leaking hoses, resulting in DNF's or worse. The list is almost endless.

3. Fundamentally, building a car, maintaining it and prepping it is not about money: it's about time and knowledge. If you have the time and the know-how (oh, and a body shop, mechanical shop, machine shop and a few hundred pounds of tools), you can build a front running national-level SM for less than half the cost of a the best pro-built car. If you have to farm out the motor and trans, the savings are less, but still substantial.

4. For those of us who lack the time and/or knowledge, money is the only alternative. Fortunately there are people who know what they are doing  who are willing to spend the time necessary to build an engine, a trans, a cage, or an entire car in exchange for money. This allows a great many more people to successfully compete in SM than if everybody had to do their own work. Hooray for free enterprise. Unfortunately, for those who have neither time, nor knowledge, nor money, driving a top-level SM is pretty well out of reach unless you have a really, really good friend. But take heart - for most drivers, it wouldn't make much difference anyway. See (5), below.

5. In the end, it comes down to the driver. At some point, time and money spent on car build and prep runs up against the law of diminishing returns. Beyond that point, the driver is better off working on himself rather than the car. For the vast majority of drivers, that point is well short of $40,000.

6. Which brings us to the final point - money can buy a great car, and it can buy a crew and even a coach, but, in the end, acquiring the skills it takes to run at the front in SM takes a huge investment of time and effort by the driver. It also requires the driver to look at himself first when searching for speed. Blaming the car is a fatal trap. When I first began racing, I didn't own a car. Instead, I drove Tom Fowler's rentals. I knew Tom's cars were quick because, on test days, he would put down laps so I could use the data for comparison. It was humbling. For two full seasons, each time I came in from a test, qualifier or race, the crew would ask me, "How was the car?" My standard answer was, "Still faster than I am. Don't change a thing."  Only when I felt I had fully mastered the basics of car control did I begin experimenting with setup. Once I was convinced I had fully exploited the potential of the rental cars, I had Tom build a car for me. It's a top build and I won a regional championship in it...but I haven't come close to a podium in a Majors. We'll keep working on the car, but it's already good enough that I doubt there's much more speed to be found there.

It's down to the driver.

Great post Skip, spelled out completely and very accurately

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

On another hand if you can do everything yourself the tag for a 99 is $26,000.  Still not bad.

$7500    pro motor
$750    pro tranny
$300    clutch/plate
$2000    donor
$500    top
$2000    cage
$1000    seat
$500    safety
$400    steering wheel
$750    pro diff
$2000    paint + graphics
$800    tires
$500    rims
$500    brakes
$500    radiator
$300    exhaust
$500    4 hubs
$500    radio
$2000    suspension
$1500    track dash
$800    2 gopros

$1000 cables and electrical

About $26000 total.

I did not count wishbones and subframes as that can be checked, and most of the time they are good.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

The phrase 'argy-bargy' means a heated discussion, perhaps one that has become bad-tempered enough to amount to a spat or minor quarrel.

Off Topic but..

It could be this too. ^_^

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

6 pages in and no one has mentioned how incredibly disguised this parity thread is...Masterful Pat!

And for Dave...sorry man, torque is expensive :burst:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Labor is not free.....  If it's from a shop, junk yard guy or individual building it in his/her garage.  

Those of you that think your labor is free and costs you nothing are not comparing apples to apples when looking at builds from shops that do it for a living.  While it may not be your profession it is presumably still time away from the dog, family, friends, basket weaving class, other businesses etc.  If you start to allocate for your time you will see the 15K SpecMiata (build) is about as common as the Unicorn.  

As it has been said already many times in this thread at the end of the day you need to prep the car and god forbid drive the car regardless of the price.   Otherwise you are just a DE day Hero winning the 9:00am to 9:25am Orange group session driving flat out.

Sean

• JBlaisdell, Brocodile and Michael Colangelo like this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

This thread is finally getting to the point. To summarize:

1. The picture is much larger than hp and tq.

2. From a mechanical standpoint, it's a holistic thing - it's about the whole car. A simple dragging caliper can invisibly negate all that expensive hp. A poor setup can delay you from getting back to throttle out of a critical corner by a precious tenth or two, again negating the benefit of a monster motor. Neglected maintenance can result in broken belts and leaking hoses, resulting in DNF's or worse. The list is almost endless.

3. Fundamentally, building a car, maintaining it and prepping it is not about money: it's about time and knowledge. If you have the time and the know-how (oh, and a body shop, mechanical shop, machine shop and a few hundred pounds of tools), you can build a front running national-level SM for less than half the cost of a the best pro-built car. If you have to farm out the motor and trans, the savings are less, but still substantial.

4. For those of us who lack the time and/or knowledge, money is the only alternative. Fortunately there are people who know what they are doing  who are willing to spend the time necessary to build an engine, a trans, a cage, or an entire car in exchange for money. This allows a great many more people to successfully compete in SM than if everybody had to do their own work. Hooray for free enterprise. Unfortunately, for those who have neither time, nor knowledge, nor money, driving a top-level SM is pretty well out of reach unless you have a really, really good friend. But take heart - for most drivers, it wouldn't make much difference anyway. See (5), below.

5. In the end, it comes down to the driver. At some point, time and money spent on car build and prep runs up against the law of diminishing returns. Beyond that point, the driver is better off working on himself rather than the car. For the vast majority of drivers, that point is well short of $40,000.

6. Which brings us to the final point - money can buy a great car, and it can buy a crew and even a coach, but, in the end, acquiring the skills it takes to run at the front in SM takes a huge investment of time and effort by the driver. It also requires the driver to look at himself first when searching for speed. Blaming the car is a fatal trap. When I first began racing, I didn't own a car. Instead, I drove Tom Fowler's rentals. I knew Tom's cars were quick because, on test days, he would put down laps so I could use the data for comparison. It was humbling. For two full seasons, each time I came in from a test, qualifier or race, the crew would ask me, "How was the car?" My standard answer was, "Still faster than I am. Don't change a thing."  Only when I felt I had fully mastered the basics of car control did I begin experimenting with setup. Once I was convinced I had fully exploited the potential of the rental cars, I had Tom build a car for me. It's a top build and I won a regional championship in it...but I haven't come close to a podium in a Majors. We'll keep working on the car, but it's already good enough that I doubt there's much more speed to be found there.

It's down to the driver.

Skip could you post on the next parity tread too?
Good summation.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

$750    pro tranny
$2000    pain + graphics

$750 for a pro tranny?

$2000 for pain + graphics???

Hey, whatever flips your trigger.

Seriously - can one of the experts discribe to us what a pro transmission is. (Last time I looked the GCR doesn't say you can do anything to the trans)

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

6 pages in...

Have we decided - are $40K++ SMs good or bad?

• tylerbrown likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

6 pages in...

Have we decided - are $40K++ SMs good or bad?

Thats easy!!!!!  GOOD FOR KWEBB, bad for rgbragy or whatever name you will go by next LOL :)

• Chris Fulton likes this

K. Webb