Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Three years ago my car and myself was able to get on the podium on every weekend.So scca has lost out on my money because of that. It is upsetting to me as a driver because I know its my car and not me. It also upsets me that a guy that I beat for years goes out and buys a 30K car and now i cant come close to him anymore.They say its because they learned to drive better but when you watch them they still dont know the correct racing line.

Can you please show me the proper racing line  :raincloud:  :buried:  :noidea:  :weeping:  :banghead:

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

You want to see the best commercial for Spec Miata. Watch the Runoffs STL race. Todd Lamb (multiple championship winning pro driver) versus Randy Pobst (multiple champion pro driver) versus Tom Brown (wireless communications pro). All 3 racing as hard as anybody in equally prepped 100% Spec Miatas. This shows the quality of drivers at the front of the SM field. I would say the top 30 drivers at the Runoffs have the ability to run with any pro driver out there. But they must have the best equipment. And the best equipment costs.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

What I do see is a shift in demographics, and myself and other shops may be a portion of the cause for the shifting. Dwindeling are the home built budget cars. Gone are the home built SUPER budget guys. Instead we have more guys coming from the Porsche/BMW crowd. They saw how much fun we where having, and brought their wallets into Spec Miata. They have the financial means to spend  BMW money, they are just doing it with a Miata. For the exact same reasons as made this class so popular; cost effective, reliable, fun to drive, great competitors and close competition.

Dave

Had a dinner conversation on Monday with a long time GrandAM driver, and he was looking at getting into Spec Miata. The way he put it is that it appears that we have closer racing and more fun every weekend. It wasnt about the money, it is the wheel to wheel racing that makes it so attractive to him.

• DrDomm and Derrick Ambrose like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

What development have you done in 3 years?  That guy you raced "instantly" developed in a leap with a 30K car.  That was probably a big gain in performance.  I know if I had done no development on my car over the last 3 years, I would be probably down 10 spots in finish order.

3 or 4 years ago you were 6 seconds off the pace at the Runoffs.  If you haven't improved your car since then, I wouldn't expect you to podium ever at a well attended event as you are getting left behind.  Development is a constant work.

I know I was well off the pace but it was my first time at the track ever and for the first two practices it was poring rain.The only clean and dry day I had was in the race and I ended up gaining 10 spots.

Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Can you please show me the proper racing line  :raincloud:  :buried:  :noidea:  :weeping:  :banghead:

Kyle,I wasnt talking about you so relax. Yes you did get better but I know you put a lot of time and money to get were your at and there is nothing wrong with that.

But with that being said I'll be ready for you next year so be ready !  :P

Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Even in a spec class? I mean, how much development goes on in SRF?

I just caught this one :)
The phrase 'argy-bargy' means a heated discussion, perhaps one that has become bad-tempered enough to amount to a spat or minor quarrel.

There is no difference in the amount of work put into a front running SRF versus a front running SM.

Enterprises posted the dyno numbers(positive/negative) a few years ago it seemed pretty obvious to me that all SRF were not created equal. There is a reason there a few drivers constantly pull the others in a straight line and it is not laways exit speed or luck of the draw on getting good engines. They are prepping their cars and working on all that is possible.

I always like to point out facts as many think the grass is greener on the SRF side of the fence, it isn't. The times are always closer in SM.

This year the top 15 in SM were within 1 second, SRF was 1.7 seconds. It is always like this. So either we have a lot better drivers, our cars are a lot closer or both. All speak very highly to the state for SM IMO.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Kyle,I wasnt talking about you so relax. Yes you did get better but I know you put a lot of time and money to get were your at and there is nothing wrong with that.

But with that being said I'll be ready for you next year so be ready !  :P

lol i know you not talk about me, you only beat me liek 2 time and just barely before i get a 30k car, whewww was starting to think maybe i just dont got no talent! 

Kuch does that mean i can expect to see you at Majors, I only did one regional this year and likely wont be at regional or I mean regular races next year, but we shall see.

anyhow please build a 99 so everyone will have something to whine about, cant have you winning in some 1.6 that MB helps you build up.

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

lol i know you not talk about me, you only beat me liek 2 time and just barely before i get a 30k car, whewww was starting to think maybe i just dont got no talent! 

Kuch does that mean i can expect to see you at Majors, I only did one regional this year and likely wont be at regional or I mean regular races next year, but we shall see.

anyhow please build a 99 so everyone will have something to whine about, cant have you winning in some 1.6 that MB helps you build up.

he didn't like the new kid coming into sm with a 99 and beating him so he had to punt him last year when he was close enough :duck:

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

If I get a car built I will be back running Nationals.If you look back I finished in the top 3 positions in the Great Lakes National points for 3 to 4 years straight. In 2009 I was only a few points behind Mark B taking 2nd in National points.Dont worry I'll be there again if I get a new car that is for sure !

Whats wrong if I have MB help me build a car ?

It might not even be a 99. :noidea:

He did a great job on Murdik's car and its not a 99 and it holds the new track record at Mid-O !

I still love you Kyle ! lol :toast:

Kuch

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

I havent read the enitre thread; just long enough to see that it is much cheaper for me to race/buy my open wheel club ford than it is to race my 99sm.

I get it that while you are involved, people dont see things the same as when you have sat on the sidelines for a short time.

this is absurd that SM are selling for $40K, or even $30K.

its just a dang miata guys, its not a (real) race car, its a production car that is now being used for racing(drive a car that was purpose built for racing and you will understand)......... for the $ that the class cost, i would prefer my openwheeler its a real purpose built racecar.       ITS CHEAPER to run, and its more exciting.

something is broken when a car (that performs) like an SM cost this much.

racing (SM) was fun, but the only ones who seem to justify the costs of the class are those running business in this class........

take a step back and breathe, you will see how absurd this has gotten on costs........to run a production car used as a racecar.

i think the amount of racers in the class who are actually good with this cost escalation are the same amount that went to the runoffs ~50 guys, the rest are just standing around wondering WTF, and when/where do i find something else to race, or participate in.

there is concern for me that many of the rule makers are also vendors in the class, they are also the one justify the cost of the cars.

I get what it takes to run at the front of a national level race...........$40K cars (that is just a miata) has made it easy for me to sell my car and do/race something else.

sounds like 99s are appreciating in value............

it was fun while it lasted.

i

Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

he didn't like the new kid coming into sm with a 99 and beating him so he had to punt him last year when he was close enough :duck:

And I'll do it again if you slow down that much in front of me ! :wave:

Anyway that wasnt on purpose !

Kuch

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

the motor for my GT-1 car costs more than a new SM car does. i think ill stick with SM

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

but the only ones who seem to justify the costs of the class are those running business in this class........

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68

I havent read the enitre thread; just long enough to see that it is much cheaper for me to race/buy my open wheel club ford than it is to race my 99sm.

I get it that while you are involved, people dont see things the same as when you have sat on the sidelines for a short time.

this is absurd that SM are selling for $40K, or even $30K.

its just a dang miata guys, its not a (real) race car, its a production car that is now being used for racing(drive a car that was purpose built for racing and you will understand)......... for the $ that the class cost, i would prefer my openwheeler its a real purpose built racecar.       ITS CHEAPER to run, and its more exciting.

something is broken when a car (that performs) like an SM cost this much.

racing (SM) was fun, but the only ones who seem to justify the costs of the class are those running business in this class........

take a step back and breathe, you will see how absurd this has gotten on costs........to run a production car used as a racecar.

i think the amount of racers in the class who are actually good with this cost escalation are the same amount that went to the runoffs ~50 guys, the rest are just standing around wondering WTF, and when/where do i find something else to race, or participate in.

there is concern for me that many of the rule makers are also vendors in the class, they are also the one justify the cost of the cars.

I get what it takes to run at the front of a national level race...........$40K cars (that is just a miata) has made it easy for me to sell my car and do/race something else.

sounds like 99s are appreciating in value............

it was fun while it lasted.

I

Dude, give up then.  I bet there's guys that are running 50k cars that have never even won a race.  So What!

FACT is you can still win a national championship in a home built car!

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Even in a spec class? I mean, how much development goes on in SRF?

I can't speak for SRF, but I would assume the top teams there are also developing the open items, building to the best of the specs allowed.  They do mandate more "spec" items.

Maybe we should just think of our racing as MX5 class, not so much "spec"

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA