Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999

Skip- What!  You didn't get my T-12, 2 wide, texts at the ARRC?

• Brocodile likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Be forewarned...Regional racer rant follows:

I know it's utter folly to complain, but the decision to eliminate the SCCA's Regions lattitude to offer the option of an open tire rule is truly unfortunate - and in my view seriously misguided. As a memebr of my region's race committee (and a region board member), I forsee reductions in NASA crossovers in 2014 - as well as the "occasional" competitors who roll out the "old car" once or twice a year. The previous ability of a racer to race on the rubber they had was a benefit to car counts.

That aside, frankly IMHO the SCCA is waaay too "runoffcentric". The truth is that most regional competitors have exactly zero interest in the Runoffs. From my perspective, showing up to (still) spend way too much time so I can be be beaten like the proverbial chained up dog by a pack of $30,000 to (now) $40,000 SM's is utterly silly. 

We need to (but won't) reinstate the open tire rule for regional events. That won't happen and as a result the chips will fall (no pun intended).

Rant over...

Rick

• Alberto, pat slattery and htron435 like this

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Ric, Open regional tires is (was) a luxury that not all divisions enjoy. The SE Div, for example, has always required the national spec tire for regional racing. SE also seems to have the most entries.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

htron435

htron435

Can't reMember

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Number:113

I know it's utter folly to complain, but the decision to eliminate the SCCA's Regions to offer the option of an open tire rule is truly unfortunate - and in my view seriously misguided. As a memebr of my region's race committee (and a region board member), I forsee reductions in NASA crossovers in 2014 - as well as the "occasional" competitors who roll out the "old car" once or twice a year. The previous ability of a racer to race on the rubber they had was a benefit to car counts.

That aside, frankly IMHO the SCCA is waaay too "runoffcentric". The truth is that most regional competitors have exactly zero interest in the Runnoffs. From my perspective, showing up to (still) spend way too much time so I can be be beaten like the proverbial chained up dog by a pack of $30,000 to (now) $40,000 SM's is utterly silly. 

We need to (but won't) reinstate the open tire rule for regional events. That won't happen and as a result the chips will fall (no pun intended).

Rant over...

Rick

Rick makes a great point.  My limited schedule only allows me to 4-5 times a year, and the way the local schedule has fallen, I've only raced with NASA.  In order to race one weekend late in the year with the local SCCA will require me to purchase two sets of tires -- one dry, one rain (because it's OHIO).  Pretty costly for one weekend a year.

Jay North
ATC Trailer Dealer
www.jaynorthauto.com

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I know it's utter folly to complain, but the decision to eliminate the SCCA's Regions to offer the option of an open tire rule is truly unfortunate - and in my view seriously misguided. As a memebr of my region's race committee (and a region board member), I forsee reductions in NASA crossovers in 2014 - as well as the "occasional" competitors who roll out the "old car" once or twice a year. The previous ability of a racer to race on the rubber they had was a benefit to car counts.
That aside, frankly IMHO the SCCA is waaay too "runoffcentric". The truth is that most regional competitors have exactly zero interest in the Runnoffs. From my perspective, showing up to (still) spend way too much time so I can be be beaten like the proverbial chained up dog by a pack of $30,000 to (now) $40,000 SM's is utterly silly. 

Rant over...
Rick

Rick
Why not run SM"x" as well as SM regionally? The race will be run simultaneously, all may enter in SM"x" if they like? It would also allow those who want to run SM with Hoosiers collect regional contingency ( which I think is a good thing)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

The earlier discussion about tire life, cost, performance all made sense to me. But the last few posts about regions not allowed to have an open tire rule shows how limited information can give poor conclusions.

Since there is a path to the Runoffs by only attending Regional races, Regional races must be run under Runoffs rules. Thus the current spec tire is required.

However, the regions are allowed to run other classes with an open tire rule. Or even a different spec tire if they desired. This could be SMT as we have around here, SSM, SM2 etc. Or you can run in ITA (NA cars) or ITS (NB cars).

If you are only racing once a year, you are not running for points. So pick a class that you can legally race in, and have fun. The fun is the same no matter what sticker you put on the car. Just remember an Advanced Autosports sticker adds 5 horsepower the moment you put it on !!!!!

Dave

• pat slattery, Danny Steyn and Armando Ramirez like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

I don't think anyone would protest a guy running Toyo's in an SCCA race.  You might have a bit of a problem going the other way.  ; )

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I would if they beat me.

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Really?  You might be better off asking him for coaching.  Just say'in.

• pat slattery and FTodaro like this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Hoosiers have not proved faster at every track - just sayin.

Also, I don't think we get to pick which rules we want to follow.

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

No, only the one's on which we want to protest.

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

although I really hate their rain tire which causes me bent sheet metal on a regular basis.

I did not know that the tires were the one in control of the car. I always thought it was the driver. Silly me.
  • Muda and pat slattery like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I did not know that the tires were the one in control of the car. I always thought it was the driver. Silly me.

Apparently my car and tires didn't get that memo... :)

K. Webb