Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

For me the Hoosier issue on some tracks the delta time between a sticker tire and a 2-3 HC tire. In some cases it is around 1 second. Never had that delta when running RA-1's

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40
What I didn't understand was the complaints about managing RA-1s.  You can't run a new motor without breaking it in.  You can't go out and race on unbedded pads.  You can't have the same chassis setup for every track.  With all the prep time and money being spent, I didn't understand the complaints about "managing" the RA-1, which wasn't very hard to do.  I think that's why I always thought the people against RA-1s were just shills, or that weird brand of "patriot" that only thought Made In The USA mattered when it came to what race tires he put on his Korean/British wheels to put on his Japanese car with his Chinese impact gun?

They seemed very easy for a mid-pack driver to manage anyway.  I think everybody just wanted to save the $60 per set shaving cost.  It wasn't the shaving that bothered people about the RA-1, they just wanted to save the $60.  The survey that was sent out to everyone was nice, but it failed to differentiate between whether shaving was hated or the $60 cost of shaving was hated.  The unshaved RA-1 price was great, and the hc life was more than acceptable to me.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48
I agree completely with Mark's comments on the RA1 and I have to say its very similar to how the RR behaves for us in the GreatLakes.

I understand we don't have the talent pool that the SCCA has so our analysis of the tire might not be what national front runners experience. We haven't had anyone inflating the competition and trying new and possibly more expensive things.

Out of gingerman, grattan, Putnam, mid Ohio, and autobahn, only gingerman and Putnam showed a significant gain running sticker RRs. I have no experience running RRs in different regions other than miller, which also seemed to like old used up "junk". I personally didn't improve times by running shaved tires there, but anyone who did please speak up.

It works out really well for us with our season schedule. Putnam and gingerman like stickers, so we run a set for each weekend on qualifying then race on scrubs. Meanwhile, these tires are getting ready for tracks like autobahn mid Ohio and grattan. Never a good reason to get rid of a tire with tracks liking tires from a broad range of the life span.

Thinking about running a lot more SCCA but the tire budget has us nervous. It obviously won't be the" buy 3 sets at the beginning of the year and none until nationals (and be competitive)" system we became used to

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

For me the Hoosier issue on some tracks the delta time between a sticker tire and a 2-3 HC tire. In some cases it is around 1 second. Never had that delta when running RA-1's

I have never seen close to this delta from stickers to 2-3 cycle tires? What tracks are you referring to?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Thinking about running a lot more SCCA but the tire budget has us nervous. It obviously won't be the" buy 3 sets at the beginning of the year and none until nationals (and be competitive)" system we became used to

No it won't.  If you are at a big boy race with the SM guns, you need to have a sticker set for EACH qualifying session or else you have already handicapped yourself.  Different folks seem to get different "usable" HCs, but I don't think anyone will argue, that on the SM6, using a sticker (or gently scrubbed) set in qualifying maximizes one's performance window.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Car Number:48

No it won't.  If you are at a big boy race with the SM guns, you need to have a sticker set for EACH qualifying session or else you have already handicapped yourself.  Different folks seem to get different "usable" HCs, but I don't think anyone will argue, that on the SM6, using a sticker (or gently scrubbed) set in qualifying maximizes one's performance window.

Exactly, I'm saying this wasn't the way it was in my NASA region running RR's.  Not sure if its the level of competition (highly possible), but from what I have experienced the RR provides way more competitive heat cycles, and it will be nice if the SM7 acts more like that.  Just a rant on how well the RR has worked for us and the HUGE difference between tire budget between the two groups.

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I have never seen close to this delta from stickers to 2-3 cycle tires? What tracks are you referring to?

Not sure wat Danny knows,but I would have to say after going to both Gingerman, and Gateway, both of those tracks are very close to a 1 second difference at least for me. Gateway In qualifying race with you and I on 5 cyclke tires as I remember yo were faster then me byabout .050, with me on 4 cycle tires in last race you on stickers, there was no comparison between our times you were faster by 1.4 secnds.  

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:37

thanks Jim. I thought SMAC would have had some say, but thanks for setting me straight. Now I understand that l need to contact my regional director. I am guessing in things like this, for any changes to happen, there has to be a groundswell of support before changes are considered.

That being said. I am fearful of pushing for any alternate tire that I have no experience with. I love the SM6 as a tire, but hate what it costs to compete up front with it. I do NOT want to go back to shaved tires. So until I have sufficient time on several sets of RR's running against several others on RR's, my guess is that I will NOT be writing any letters, just in case I call for a tire that has another set of issues that I have no idea about. 

In the meantime can we get more people who have raced RR's or other tires to document their experiences. Thanks

Danny,

I've run the RRs for about a year now, in both NASA SM and SCCA ITA on my 1.6 and on the 1.8 ITA car we took to the 13-hour this year.  I'll share the following data with the caveat that I'm still a noob so please take my experience for what it's worth...

Roughly a year ago, we ran a single set of sticker RR's on my brother's 1.6 SSM in the 13-hour up to the 10+ hour mark when the diff failed.  They held up well.  I started the race and had the last full stint before the car retired and the pace and feel remained consistent.  They used them successfully as practice tires during their next Rd Atlanta weekend.

In January, I went to OPM's test day at Roebling in my Regional-prepped 1.6 and used a set of new RRs for the weekend.  Fowler jumped in the car late afternoon Saturday (~4 cycle) for a few laps, turned a 23.5 and claimed that he really liked the feel of the tires.  I think every other car he drove that weekend was on SM6s.

At CMP in March, I ran RRs and clipped my previous best by about 0.5 sec (set the year before during first ever time there on SM6).  That has more to do with familiarity than anything else but I believe, on the 1.6 at least, that there's a little too much grip offered by the SM6.

Lastly, at this year's 13-hour, we ran a 1.8 ITA, started on sticker RRs and the set went 12 hours.  We replaced the left front at the 12 hour mark because it was starting to show cord.  Lap times stayed within 1-1.5 seconds throughout the race.  It felt very predictable up to the limit.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin Bailey 

• Lee Thomas likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Now I understand that l need to contact my regional director. I am guessing in things like this, for any changes to happen, there has to be a groundswell of support before changes are considered.

Danny,

Robin Langlotz, our Director in the SE, will be at the turkey trot (#9 ITA Integra). I'm not sure if you have met him, but, he is a good family friend of mine, and now after my first year in SM, he has been more involved in Spec Miata and is putting a lot of effort into hearing what SM drivers have to say to help us achieve our goals as a class. I am sure he will want to hear your thoughts, as well as expressing some of his own. 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Lastly, at this year's 13-hour, we ran a 1.8 ITA, started on sticker RRs and the set went 12 hours. 

Big deal.  One heat cycle.  :-).

JK.

• pat slattery and Jim Drago like this

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

I agree completely with Mark's comments on the RA1 and I have to say its very similar to how the RR behaves for us in the GreatLakes.

I understand we don't have the talent pool that the SCCA has so our analysis of the tire might not be what national front runners experience. We haven't had anyone inflating the competition and trying new and possibly more expensive things.

Out of gingerman, grattan, Putnam, mid Ohio, and autobahn, only gingerman and Putnam showed a significant gain running sticker RRs. I have no experience running RRs in different regions other than miller, which also seemed to like old used up "junk". I personally didn't improve times by running shaved tires there, but anyone who did please speak up.

It works out really well for us with our season schedule. Putnam and gingerman like stickers, so we run a set for each weekend on qualifying then race on scrubs. Meanwhile, these tires are getting ready for tracks like autobahn mid Ohio and grattan. Never a good reason to get rid of a tire with tracks liking tires from a broad range of the life span.

Exactly what I saw throughout the year for the RRs in mid-west and a central event tracks Ben Anderson ran when i was crewing for him.  It depended on the track as to when they were fastest. The RRs were very consistent throughout their life.  Seemed to get faster with every lap at autobahn up until they corded.  Same at MAM.   Really good, economical tire to run on.

Protech Racing

Protech Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Little tiny dog in the hunt; I have 5 race cars, 3 that I rent.

I rent one SM , mostly @ Sebring. The Hoosier tire use is 6- 8 tires per weekend @ Sebring and about the same @ PBIR.

My rental price used to include the tires.  Now it is plus tires.   So the tire bill for this weekend is 1500$ for 6 sessions, +-. 

The total race cost will be about 4000$., for 2-3 hrs on track. crazy. IMHO

(There is a reason thata lot of old SMs went Crap can racing, IMHo, 4000$ gets the entire weekend done )

The front pack of 6 cars are spending 2xor 3x  what we used to spend on Toyos.  

Hoosier does give very good trackside service.  very important!  But 50 cars spending 1200 per are pretty big #s.

We also run a many races/ttrack days, on 180TW tires. Great fun and 12hrs or more easy(rotated), floggin.  Sure the car is 3-4 sec slower.

The BFG Rivals,  KUmho XS, Dunlop Stars  and more , all good . Cheap  . They start out pretty" fast" slow down a tiny touch, and get  very slightly faster again as they get lighter.  I doubt the total time spread is over 1sec @ 2:50

Look at the Solo stuff with the Roadtire classes.  Big gains.

I know , SM has plenty of cars..

http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

mogren@tampabay.rr.com, 352.428/8983

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I'm gonna throw this out there, and hope it doesn't "bother" anyone.  Considering we have a "spec" tire, should Hoosier be giving away free tires to anyone?  Does that help control costs for those trying to keep up?

I know you can't prohibit anyone from buying new tires, but maybe it would help if everyone had to buy their tires.

Stopping tire contingencies won't cure the tire expense problem, but it might help a little.

• RussMcB likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Looks like NASA's putting all their Spec Tire Classes (Eggs) in one basket.

J~

http://www.nasaprora...lowance-fo.html

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I'm gonna throw this out there, and hope it doesn't "bother" anyone.  Considering we have a "spec" tire, should Hoosier be giving away free tires to anyone?  Does that help control costs for those trying to keep up?

I know you can't prohibit anyone from buying new tires, but maybe it would help if everyone had to buy their tires.

Stopping tire contingencies won't cure the tire expense problem, but it might help a little.

Said with all due respect, within the SCCA. No matter how they get the free tires, the pointy end folks get free tires. It's been the tire manufactures practice for years. Maybe giving to the top end finish order spreads the wealth a bit more.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

J~

Two things stand out in my mind about this announcement. NASA and Toyo have a partnership they put there heads together to develop a tire. I do not see NASA doing away with TOYO any time soon. So if the SM class is ever going to get back to the same tire, it looks Like SCCA would have to switch to the Toyo.

Since SCCA does not have the same level of partnership that NASA does and likely never will because NASA may be protective of that partnership, We may never be on the same tire. 

No easy answer on the tire issue. Clearly Hoosier supports the tire better at the track, If the new SM7 turns out to be more durable we may solve a lot of problems, but as far as the front runners buying a new set of tires for every qualifying session, Sadly, i think the Genie is out of the bottle. If those drivers feel they get any advantage out of stickers you can bet they will sticker up.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Since SCCA does not have the same level of partnership that NASA does and likely never will because NASA may be protective of that partnership, We may never be on the same tire. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RKMNPQ35OUc

J~

• Armando Ramirez likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Money talks.  The top SCCA racers are willing to spend it, and the mid-packers accept their lot in life.  This doesn't violate the basic paradigm of money+talent = speed.

I don't believe NASA made the decision with any other righteous purpose in mind, whether it favors SM competition or not.

As a person building a new SM that has raced both sanctions for convenience, it may make me go one way or another.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I hate that forking genie!

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

J~

That's a lot of people that used to buy Hoosiers that can't anymore.  Maybe any further suggestions for an improved SM tire will get a more serious listen from Hoosier.  Wishful thinking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users