* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Ok so this is interesting on the cost difference between having someone else do it vs. doing it yourself. Duncan, how much are the materials - masking stuff, bondo, sand paper, primer, paint, clear coat, etc?

When I asked my friend for the spray gun he said to me, "sure, but I've also got a guy that will do the whole thing for really cheap"....

Have the guy do it. You're going to spend 150 dollars on material between sand paper, primer, glazing putty, etc.....
And it'll be more if you screw it up. Bumpers aren't the best thing to attempt as a first paint job.
Also, I think your car has single stage paint.
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

What bondo are you talking about?

The new fender with a slight ding. I fear the next ding will crack the bondo.

The cost of a pint of autopaint can be surprizing to first time buyer.

Speaking of single stage - IMO the way to go for racecars (that race in a class with lots of contact).

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

The new fender with a slight ding. I fear the next ding will crack the bondo.

The cost of a pint of autopaint can be surprizing to first time buyer.

Speaking of single stage - IMO the way to go for racecars (that race in a class with lots of contact).

Not worried. I fixed almost all the ding with a hammer and dolly, leaving just a slight low spot. I skim coated the entire middle of the fender because I wanted to only do one application of filler. The actual spot left after sanding is tiny, and probably not any thicker than the primer.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Brian Linn

Brian Linn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:CSCC

Can someone explain to me why I can only see some of the photos posted on this thread?  The others have a broken link image.  I can see about 20% of them.  Sorry to hi-jack, but I want to see the fine work!

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Can someone explain to me why I can only see some of the photos posted on this thread?  The others have a broken link image.  I can see about 20% of them.  Sorry to hi-jack, but I want to see the fine work!

Try it now.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I get run into too often to commit this much time and energy for a racecar paint job.  Regardless, I'm pretty impressed...  Should look great!!!

• Rob Burgoon likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brian Linn

Brian Linn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:CSCC

Try it now.

works now.  What did you do?

Impressive job with the prep & paint.  That's a lot of work - good job documenting it too.  

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

works now.  What did you do?
Impressive job with the prep & paint.  That's a lot of work - good job documenting it too.

I moved them to a different host.

Carl Nocera

Carl Nocera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:wny
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:zero

how many tries at the final drawings did it take to pick the one shown?? 

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
A few pictures from assembly.

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
IMAG0107.jpg

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Looking good Duncan!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Very awesome!  I love freshly painted racecars.

If you plan on leaving the headlights uncovered, try the 3M headlight restorer...works great.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Car goes out to graphics tomorrow. Here's some pictures out in the sun. Domm, I took your advice and cleaned up the headlights with the 3M kit.

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

Also, new belts and seat installed.

IMAG0141.jpg

Duncan
  • Alberto likes this

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Looks fantastic.  Good work and thanks for sharing.

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

Looks great!  I'm doing mine in a few months.  Already ordering stuff from TCP.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Love it...especially those headlights!

• Duncan likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Done!

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

Duncan
  • Alberto and jswitzer360 like this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Too pretty to race :smash:

• Alberto and jswitzer360 like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Duncan.   Nice job!  Did you do the vinyl yourself? 

You going to be out at the Nasa Event in March?

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users