* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Duncan.   Nice job!  Did you do the vinyl yourself? 

You going to be out at the Nasa Event in March?

I had a shop do the vinyl. I'll be at the NASA Mid-Atlantic event in March. I moved from California to Virginia late last year.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

I had a shop do the vinyl. I'll be at the NASA Mid-Atlantic event in March. I moved from California to Virginia late last year.

Duncan

Where in VA? I'm in Richmond.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Where in VA? I'm in Richmond.

Fairfax

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Awesome.  I love cars with color, that look like racecars should.

• svvs likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zack Benham

Zack Benham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Very entertaining thread, thanks for sharing, and great job on your build looks killer! :toast:

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Duncan

So they cut and applied the vinyl?  I did some stripes 2 years ago and given all the curves it was a frustrating and time consuming affair.  

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

So they cut and applied the vinyl?  I did some stripes 2 years ago and given all the curves it was a frustrating and time consuming affair.  

They did everything.  I didn't watch it go on. 

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Thanks.

Good luck in VA!

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07

Wow, awesome work!

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63

They did everything.  I didn't watch it go on. 

Very nice vinyl work! It's a *LOT* of work, even for someone who does that for a living...

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

brian0473

brian0473

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:USA
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:22
Car looks great.

How did you ventilate your garage while spraying? I'm thinking about tackling a similar project and trying to plan for how to properly set up my garage "paint booth".

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Duncan

Thanks for an awesome thread, and an amazing end result. Love the colors; fresh, clean and distinctive. It will be really easy to identify your car in the pack, part of my reasoning behind my personal color selection. And having a distinctive and attractive design makes it a perfect target for that trackside photographer!

Now I don’t want to rain on your parade, but I want to bring something to your attention, something that you (and many others) might not be aware of. If you are hoping to qualify for some Mazda contingency awards, you are going to have a hard time with your current design.

Mazda has very specific brand requirements for this class. Solid color graphics only in one of their 4 colors, black, white, silver blue, (no outlines, stickers only over solid colors etc.) As your car is now, they will probably initially decline your contingency requests, just as they did with my car, despite the attractive design and well thought out appearance. I had to make several changes that compromised my initial design and I know that other drivers were also initially denied their claims.

Something that we should all be aware of if we are hoping to claim contingencies

Make sure you read the Mazda Contingency Awards Program

http://mazdamotorspo...ut Schedule.pdf

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Danny is 100% correct! I had to deal with that last year as well with a customers car.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Duncan

Thanks for an awesome thread, and an amazing end result. Love the colors; fresh, clean and distinctive. It will be really easy to identify your car in the pack, part of my reasoning behind my personal color selection. And having a distinctive and attractive design makes it a perfect target for that trackside photographer!

Now I don’t want to rain on your parade, but I want to bring something to your attention, something that you (and many others) might not be aware of. If you are hoping to qualify for some Mazda contingency awards, you are going to have a hard time with your current design.

Mazda has very specific brand requirements for this class. Solid color graphics only in one of their 4 colors, black, white, silver blue, (no outlines, stickers only over solid colors etc.) As your car is now, they will probably initially decline your contingency requests, just as they did with my car, despite the attractive design and well thought out appearance. I had to make several changes that compromised my initial design and I know that other drivers were also initially denied their claims.

Something that we should all be aware of if we are hoping to claim contingencies

Make sure you read the Mazda Contingency Awards Program

http://mazdamotorspo...ut Schedule.pdf

Danny,

Reading the attached, it looks like my only point of non-compliance would be the outlined Mazdaspeed on the front hood, correct?  If so, that's a fairly benign change.  The quarter panel decals are blue and the required size.  Am I missing something?

thanks for the link.

Duncan

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I think Duncan will be ok with Mazda. We also had problems a couple years ago. James came over to my tent at the Runoffs with a tape measure!!!!!!

James does the contingency and seems to spend a fair amount of time on Facebook. Post your pic and he will probably see it.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Car looks great.

How did you ventilate your garage while spraying? I'm thinking about tackling a similar project and trying to plan for how to properly set up my garage "paint booth".

I've shot a few cars in a garage.  We would "bag" the garage using plastic sheeting like in a Dexter kill room and ventilate using blowers from HF and a porta cool swamp cooler.  You'll have to change the pads on the cooler once you are done though.  I use these blowers (not just for painting but for everything, welding, cooling in the summer, working with solvents) http://www.harborfre...ator-97762.html and this duct http://www.harborfre...duct-97763.html .  Others like Northern have them as well. 

Where we would paint the cars has become a full time fab shop so it's a bit dirty and a fair amount of metal shavings no matter how much we clean.  To avoid this when I started working on the Miata again I put an Easy Up outside, tarped the sides, wet the ground a bit and also put down plastic sheeting.  I still used the blowers and the cooler to vent.  I'll finish the interior like this but probably go to a local Maaco we used for my wife's old car who will do a quicky spray on the body for a few hundred as long as I do the prep.  Considering I'd spend $80-100 on material from TCP Global and have to deal with the mess and setup it's worth if for me.  The first couple of hobby stocks were cool but it's kind of a hassle now.

This was from a few weeks ago.

12025835536_e9470748cb_z.jpg

12025503003_2d70c3f7a0_z.jpg

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

This thread takes me back to when I decimated half of my brain cells painting my 99 in my garage.  I wanted to "do it all" and I sure did it.  Wound up with a secret aero advantage: orange peel so thick it was like a golf ball texture. :)  

I don't think I got fresh plastic after priming so I probably was blowing flakes back into it, which is pretty much how it looked.  Did it once, won't be doing that again but beautiful work by people who know what they're doing!  

• Dave Cox likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

This thread takes me back to when I decimated half of my brain cells painting my 99 in my garage.  I wanted to "do it all" and I sure did it.  Wound up with a secret aero advantage: orange peel so thick it was like a golf ball texture. :)

I don't think I got fresh plastic after priming so I probably was blowing flakes back into it, which is pretty much how it looked.  Did it once, won't be doing that again but beautiful work by people who know what they're doing!  

It helps to use the proper plastic.  The 3M auto stuff is designed to let the overspray stick to it. If you use Home Depot type stuff, the paint doesn't stick to it well, and then you get flakes in the paint. 

Duncan

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

I've shot a few cars in a garage.  We would "bag" the garage using plastic sheeting like in a Dexter kill room and ventilate using blowers from HF and a porta cool swamp cooler.  You'll have to change the pads on the cooler once you are done though.  I use these blowers (not just for painting but for everything, welding, cooling in the summer, working with solvents) http://www.harborfre...ator-97762.html and this duct http://www.harborfre...duct-97763.html .  Others like Northern have them as well. 

Where we would paint the cars has become a full time fab shop so it's a bit dirty and a fair amount of metal shavings no matter how much we clean.  To avoid this when I started working on the Miata again I put an Easy Up outside, tarped the sides, wet the ground a bit and also put down plastic sheeting.  I still used the blowers and the cooler to vent.  I'll finish the interior like this but probably go to a local Maaco we used for my wife's old car who will do a quicky spray on the body for a few hundred as long as I do the prep.  Considering I'd spend $80-100 on material from TCP Global and have to deal with the mess and setup it's worth if for me.  The first couple of hobby stocks were cool but it's kind of a hassle now.

My setup is very similiar.  I'll add a note of caution.  Make sure if you have a gas water heater in the garage, it's turned OFF!

Duncan.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Danny,

Reading the attached, it looks like my only point of non-compliance would be the outlined Mazdaspeed on the front hood, correct?  If so, that's a fairly benign change.  The quarter panel decals are blue and the required size.  Am I missing something?

thanks for the link.

Duncan

Duncan, I was called out for several items

• Outline on Mazdaspeed up front similar to yours
  • non compliant color of the Mazda stickers on the rear wheel arches
  • the front Mazdaspeed stickers appearing on non-solid color background

once this was brought to my attention I was given the opportunity to resolve the issues and resubmit my claims

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users