• Car Number:75

Do you run the 13mm spacer?

NO

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

I think I heard someone liked those 38mm wheels because narrower profile meant less wind resistance?  No clue.  I'm not that quick.

I like 30 mm because I can't roll fenders well  and sometimes I get a rub with my 25 mm set.

Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

bmw251

bmw251

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
I have a feeling Mike was not asked the proper question........
Sooo back to my question..... I guess anyone running the 30 offset wheel from tire rack is running an illegal rim.

Greg

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I have a feeling Mike was not asked the proper question........
Sooo back to my question..... I guess anyone running the 30 offset wheel from tire rack is running an illegal rim.

Greg

no.  Go re-read the rule book.  The 25mm offset wheels provide the largest /maximum legal track width front and rear.  You can run any of the popular offsets up t 25.  You can't run a 10 or 0 offset for example.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I believe what Greg was pointing to was the weight shown of the +30 wheel on TR's website (under 13#) and not necessarily the offset.

But I don't want to put words into anyone's mouth there....

And Vic - I believe it was Yannis who commented on being faster with the +38s (no spacers) vs. the +30/+25 wheels.
Wind resistance or something else would be debatable when considering the amount of tire that could protrude into the airstream with the maximum offset.

My guess would be the "lever force" (the term escapes me now) of the final spring/shock compression/rate at the end of the control arm being different with the various overall "LCA length" options.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I believe what Greg was pointing to was the weight shown of the +30 wheel on TR's website (under 13#) and not necessarily the offset.

And Vic - I believe it was Yannis who commented on being faster with the +38s (no spacers) vs. the +30/+25 wheels.
Wind resistance or something else would be debatable when considering the amount of tire that could protrude into the airstream with the maximum offset.

My guess would be the "lever force" (the term escapes me now) of the final spring/shock compression/rate at the end of the control arm being different with the various overall "LCA length" options.

Cantilever?

Eric Jones

Eric Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:OR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

The motion ratio changes with offset. The wider the wheel sticks out, the more leverage it has on the spring. ie softer "wheel rate"

If it can't kill ya, It ain't a sport!

Eric Jones

Eric Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:OR
  • Car Number:23

I like the Kosei wheels. They're the only ones I can find that are low pressure cast and not just gravity cast. Should be stronger for the weight.

If it can't kill ya, It ain't a sport!

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

NO

Do I have to wait until the next expert chat to ask how you got to this set-up?

I guess with the wheel being further outboard, you have a larger lever arm through the lower control arm to the shock. However, since the suspension is constantly altering the geometry, I'm guessing there's more going on...
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

The motion ratio changes with offset. The wider the wheel sticks out, the more leverage it has on the spring. ie softer "wheel rate"

Bingo!  Wheel rate!  Wider track == softer wheel rate.

And using Sphinx's word, due to the longer cantilever, it's easier to compress the spring/apply more force quicker to the shock.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

A 25 sticks out more than a 38, thus the 13mm spacers could be used for max track.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

Those wheels listed above are pretty far above the minimum weight.  I like these here myself....

gallery_247_79_198475.jpg

Momo podiums, 15x7 +25 offset, black or silver and available from Mazdacomp or Momo directly  :wave2:

• Mike Collins and FTodaro like this

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Yep - pretty far over weight. :)

Add 2 secs more fuel - eat a big sandwich before the race - add a bottle of water to the car or a few more ice cubes to the cooler etc etc.......

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I'm slow, need all the lap time i can get from anywhere ;)

Alex Bolanos - #57 

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Johnny and Alberto are slipping...need to read the thread :)

Yep - pretty far over weight. :)

Add 2 secs more fuel - eat a big sandwich before the race - add a bottle of water to the car or a few more ice cubes to the cooler etc etc.......

Rotating mass Phil...though I'm sure your post is tongue in cheek :)

This said...why is the Hoosier when a sticker faster than when shaved and a sticker? I base this on what others have posted...not personal experience!
  • Alex Bolanos likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ron: $$
  • Ron Alan likes this

Alex Bolanos - #57 

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I read it. I just need to work on the reading comprehension part.  :nerd:  :guinness:  :blush:  :sleep:

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Nop,

My reply was to explain Collins statement of 38mm offsets with no spacers on the page 1, if newbies may be thinking 38 is more.

Then Mike didn't explain why he's doing that.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

38mm is the stock offset.  30mm is readily available and 25mm is a SM specific offset and the widest allowable by our rules.  the wider the offset the softer the spring rate the higher you need to run the car.....

• Johnny D and FTodaro like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

38mm is the stock offset.  30mm is readily available and 25mm is a SM specific offset and the widest allowable by our rules.  the wider the offset the softer the spring rate the higher you need to run the car.....

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users