115 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

RG Bargy,

Ive said it many times, sealed engines do not provide you protection from tech shed grey areas. It only ensures that the tech shed people won't be finding what some will be doing.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

With my Mike Collins hat on.   This is NOT a SMAC position on this but I probably have the most experience with both old and new.

What if....

All NA ('90-'97) go into CSM (Club SM) or ITSM....or something along those lines with current rule set.

Uncork the '99+, meaning no restrictor plate. and equalize it with the SM5 gaining a restrictor plate?  My SM5 in T4 trim is close to a restricted '99 and in SM5 trim its "close" to an unrestricted '99, close enough to be able to equalize.

Just food for thought.

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

More food: Why not throw the NB into a class like CSM too?

Like I said, start with a clean slate. Like pulling a bandage off - it only smarts at first.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
crbscca.com

then fill out this form and submit

crbsccasubmissionletter_zps019508b7.jpg

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Form submitted! I don't understand what this suggestion is trying to achieve. If the aging of the SM cars really is a concern I don't see how allowing the NC cars in helps unless 1) those donors are cheaper / more abundant and 2) parity could be assured (chuckle, chuckle). 

The second sentiment expressed here is that it would allow an opportunity for a clean slate with a tighter rule set? But we could do that now by just changing the rule with the existing base cars couldn't we? Surely modifying we already have would be cheaper than buying new donors and learning a whole new chassis? 

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

SM #45 NASA Mid Atlantic Region

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Jim, Is there any way to use multiple sizes of large fonts on the crb form?

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

The sealed engine part of the rule does not, necessarily, need to stay, if the cars are included in SM.  

wheel

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

MPR,  as usual you have completely misinterpreted my meaning. Spec should be one chassis, one engine, one minimum weight, and sealed everything so there is no grey area tech shed legal bullshiz.

That's completely unrelated to showroom stock. Not even sure where that comparison came from.

How many engine sizes, power/weight ratios and chassis generations does Spec Racer Ford have?

"More Spec Than Ever!" That should be our new slogan. Or maybe "It's Mostly Spec!"

Totally agree on the basic premise...no argument here! 

As it sits now, with the popularity of the Miata platform, how do we keep that? And at what price? Are we at that RX7/Pro7 moment(I understand there used to be a lot of these?)?? It's only natural for the crowd to move on and for a variety of reasons. I actually think if SCCA plays their hand correct, the basic Miata platform can be around for years to come. How do they accomplish this while folding in the new? No idea! But obviously the idea of racing with the same cars is most appealing as a whole...just look at which classes have the biggest entries. 

Awhile back there was a brief discussion on the cost of building a fast NB car if it became uncorked...if you tried to compete with a NC and this was the case...the budgets to build a competitive "Spec Miata" would really price many current racers out IMO.

Or how about this...let the NB owners decide. This car would be allowed to run in a new SMC class or abide by the current rules and run in SM? Whatever comes down the NC being folded into the current SM is silly.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Here's the summary of my letter.....

There is a brand new Miata coming in 2014 as a 2015MY...... Take the 06+ cars and speed them up (if they need it) in order to run with the new chassis.  

SM is the largest subscribed class in SCCA.  Don't fix what isn't broke.  If you want to fix something so bad, then ditch 70% of the stewards on any given weekend and eliminate any class with less that 200 total entries for 2013.  That would be B-SPec, GTL, S-2, T-3, DSR, GT3 and FE.  That will leave you more than enough room for adding a class or two.

Sean

• Alberto likes this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona
  • Car Year:1999

Bring em' in! Adjust for parity, and let's keep growing the class.  Oh, and wait until a 90' wins the runoffs this year and prepare for a monumental "parity" battle....

Sean, Love the post, but don't blow out DSR, not much sounds better when they go by...and track records would never be in jeopardy again....

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Forgot about this "Spec Class" Option;

Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Sean, Love the post, but don't blow out DSR, not much sounds better when they go by...and track records would never be in jeopardy again....

Bad Rusty..... Totally agree on how cool those cars are :).  I'm just trying to take emotion off the table and look at the numbers only.  I own a couple B-Spec's and share a shop with a no expenses spared GT3 car and Stohr Cars is a local Portland shop run by some very cool people.  I have emotional reasons not to see any of them go, but sometimes you gotta rip the band-aid off move forward.

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

DSR is no longer.  RIP.  Of course Prototype 1 will take their place and include a lot of the fast CSRs and DSRs, with the slow guys going to the new P2.

wheel

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Guys and Gals, Quit trying to take 3 different cars and make them equal. Pick one and make that the SM class. Logically you would want the newest model.

• Mike Collins likes this

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Damn it Sean!  It's the Holidays (Christmas for our family, Merry Christmas everyone!), quit appling analytical processes and common sense to this site, you'll wreck it for everyone!

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Guys and Gals, Quit trying to take 3 different cars and make them equal. Pick one and make that the SM class. Logically you would want the newest model.

It's called Spec Ford Racer and those cars are for sale for close to SM money.  Don't "Fix" what ain't broke.  Look at the class subscriptions for 2013....... In the # 1 position SpecMiata.   Scoreboard :)

• Alberto, MPR22 and Jim Drago like this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Yeah Sean, but Mazda's in business to sell new cars not 17-25 year old models. Besides, someone told me not long ago the time marches on. You can't expect to race old cars forever.

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Yeah Sean, but Mazda's in business to sell new cars not 17-25 year old models. Besides, someone told me not long ago the time marches on. You can't expect to race old cars forever.

Totally understand and agree to some extent.  Mazda will tell you that Grassroots racing is very important to them even if they are not the newest model.  Overall brand recognition and loyalty is of significant importance to them and that is why they continue to support what we are doing.  

My point is let's not ruin current SM.  If you want to do a better version of SM with the new cars then I'm all for it, but leave the current successful flavor of it alone until the numbers show it is no longer working.  In my world, the numbers show that it is working quite well.  In my opinion we don't need another Gov't Org/Sanctioning Body telling us what is best for us.  Let the demand speak to a new class, not a futuristic fear of lost revenue.  I do support the looking into the future, I think it's smart, but let's just not panic and do something to ruin the most successful class in SCCA.

Merry Christmas.....

Sean 

• Alberto likes this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

If scca wants to change the class to one car, I could accept that...  I would even be ok if it picked all 90-93 models! 99-00 even bettr as I dont have to build one!!!

last choice 01-05, I would hate to have to build a cheater car like someone who is North conference co champion  :devil:  :hugegrin:  :noidea:  :lol: "edited per donny blocks request"  just to race in the class, but I do have the donor sitting on my parkinglot already!!!! :)

the 06+ car already has its perfect class SM5!  We have already heard all about how perfct the rules are and parity is wonderful in that class!  So I would invite anyone who wants to live in the perfect racing world please imediatly join SM5!  But just remember your joining that perfect class just might be what causes it to lose its perfect LORE!!!

• Danny Steyn likes this

K. Webb