67 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

A smart business (or in this case a club) should welcome, maybe even seek, negative feedback.

Ron, Lay off the Mush Lardball Show - that shiz'll kill yer brain cells.

Negative feedback is fine...unless the horse is nothing but bone dust :wacko: Doesnt make much sense to beat up the club for anything beyond its control. 

As far as brain cells...I here you...I live among a great many walking dead :help:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

With TWS and speak of high rentals...

How many Club owned tracks do we have ??

Thunderhill is.

http://thunderhill.c...140324101901676

So buy it, refurbish, start fresh and if you build it they will come ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Negative feedback is fine...unless the horse is nothing but bone dust :wacko:

Wasn't the original question why isn't there more entries. I was offering one possible explanation.

Doesnt make much sense to beat up the club for anything beyond its control.

Initiating the Majors was beyond the SCCA's control? They HAD to do it?

Hey, if folks like the Majors and it grows then super-duper. As long as there is still regional racing that is where I'll spend my money. Capitalism at it's finest!

Smegma Dildos

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Derrick Ambrose

Derrick Ambrose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2011
  • Car Number:71

With TWS and speak of high rentals...

How many Club owned tracks do we have ??

Thunderhill is.

http://thunderhill.c...140324101901676

So buy it, refurbish, start fresh and if you build it they will come ??

J~

I believe Socal club owns Buttonwillow. (not 100% sure on that)

-Derrick

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I believe Socal club owns Buttonwillow. (not 100% sure on that)

-Derrick

Yup.

J~

It is not often that a new race track opens in California. In fact, Fontana’s NASCAR track,  Buttonwillow Raceway Park for Cal Club in Bakersfield, Chuckawalla, a road course in the southern desert, Thermal, another race track in the deserts of Southern California, our own Thunderhill Park in Willows and the new oval track on I-5 south of Bakersfield, represent all the new tracks built that I am aware of since the early 90’s. Actually that is not too bad considering that prior to the opening of Thunderhill Park and Buttonwillow, tracks in California were closing and had been since Ontario Motor Speedway and Riverside Raceway shut their doors.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Wasn't the original question why isn't there more entries. I was offering one possible explanation.

Initiating the Majors was beyond the SCCA's control? They HAD to do it?

Hey, if folks like the Majors and it grows then super-duper. As long as there is still regional racing that is where I'll spend my money. Capitalism at it's finest!

Ok...your not a fan of the majors...specifically the costs. You feel the cost "bang for the buck" not worth it. What is your solution?

Ron

RAmotorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Ok next year I will not be building a new car, I am going to go to this race.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Congrats to my good friend and team mate! Way to go Jim! Looked like an incredible race with Matt! 2 of my favorite guys to race against... Really wish I was there. I already can't wait to see what you guys do tomorrow.... Maybe Stearns can get up there as well. Good luck to all, and I'm looking forward to hearing from Drago and Reynolds
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Yes it was another one of the great races with Matt. I told him after the race. the best and worst thing about racing him is you get no mistakes.. If you make half a mistake, no need to look, he is on his way by. We have had some great races here, today was another.. Tomorrow will be as well :)

They announced today that they are repaving the track completely in two weeks. That should really make it nice for next year!
Congratulations to Matt on a new track record

Jim
  • RussMcB likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Sundays race was much the same.. I made a few suspension changes ( raised the car a round and added a round of cross) as the car was a little tight in rights and starting to get a little loose in lefts in morning warm up.  I went too far and struggled in four and the bitch worst than I can remember.  I could never shake Matt, I think we ran the entire race within .4 of each other. We ran almost an entire lap side by side, multiple lead changes. Always the best racing of the year for me. If you think you are one of the best in the class, you owe it to yourself to see how you measure up at Hallet, the best "racing" Sm track in the country.  If you end up within 5 seconds of Matt Reynolds at the end of the race, consider yourself pretty darn good! You never use fifth gear at this track and you have to remind yourself to breathe quite often. 

I think I beat Matt to the line by .3 or so. I think we ran 10-12 laps under the 5 year old record. Matt again nipped me for the track record. Congrats on that! Again a great race win or lose. One of my best races there was second to Matt a few years ago, I know he feels the same way. We left it all out there, we both gave all we had, passed and re passed multiple times, never touched! That was ALL I had.   Matt is my favorite competitor to race against, tough as nails, fast and clean! As I said on the podium, if I made half a mistake, I didn't even look in the mirror, I just moved off line as I knew he was filling the hole. When you get out of the car and are both smiling, you know its fun! that is what it is all about! 

They announced that they are repaving the track in two weeks. If you can mark it on your schedules next year, you will not be disappointed, you will have more fun racing at Hallet than most any other track we race.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Congrats Again to Jim and Matt! I am sick about missing this one (unexpected family plans). Amazingly fun track, that has a great rhythm.....and to add to what Jim was saying, if you can beat Matt AND Jim @ Hallett, you have Really done something in an SM.
I will not miss next year, and hope many others will not as well.
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:11
Jim is definitely right about this track. It was a blast learning this track for the first time and attending my first majors event. I will definitely be back to this track and can't wait to see what it is like after the new asphalt.

As for my weekend, Friday was great. Car had zero issues during the test day and was making good progress knocking down my lap times. By the end of the day, I was down to 1:32 on old SM6 tires from last year. Unfortunately that is when any and all luck that I had in reserve ran out. The set of SM7 tires mounted on new wheels was scheduled to show up Friday and as such they did, well 75% of them anyway. So now with only 3 tires for the weekends race, I was forced to buy another set from the local hoosier vendor. They would not be mounted until after qualifying on Saturday so I stayed on the old SM6s. For the race, we bolted on the fresh SM7s. For the 8 laps I was able to run, it was the most fun I've had in a while. I was in a three car battle for sixth and was out front for a few laps. Then Lady Luck didn't just run out, she was sucked dry. My last two laps out, I noticed the car getting very loose of lefts. Loose in, loose out. I lost a position finally in T2 but held the other car back. Then coming up the hill into the bitch, the car got real lose and didn't want to recover. I managed to get it straight before cresting the hill but was all out of shape for the turn and fell back another position. Attempting to not lose the pack, I tried to go hard into T10 but the back end kept wanting to come around and I had to go wide. Decided to come in as the car didn't fell right. Turns out I had a pinhole in the right rear tire on the inside sidewall.

For Sunday, the hoosier vendor tried some remedies on the punctured tire but it didn't take. We were forced to run the old SM6s for the race and my times showed it. The tires would fall off every few laps and they too a beating in the process. On a positive note I did manage to hit my fastest time on the old tires so that made me feel confident for next time. I just hope all the bad luck is done for this year.
-David Schroeder

Matt Reynolds

Matt Reynolds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Two more amazing races at Hallett with Jim.  We each made multiple mistakes in Saturday's race, which led to all the position changes.  We were running 2 wide through multiple corners and down the straights.  Absolutely awesome racing and we didn't even tough mirrors this time!  I did end up setting fast lap and a lowered the record previously held by Charlie James by one tenth.  I still started P2 for Sunday's race due to the Majors qualifying rules.  A method I do not agree with most likely because it has prevented me from starting on pole twice on Sunday this year.  In what situation would a driver go faster in the race than in qualifying on the same day?  Rain? Cold front? Car trouble?  Anyways, whole other thread there.  Sunday's race started much the same as Saturday's with Jim and I checking out early.  I counted 15 laps under Charlie's old record (1:29.0XX) and 7 under the record set on Saturday (1:28.900).  We have never been in the 28s at this track before and to be in the mid 28s lap after lap is crazy!  Virtually no mistakes from Jim in this race.  I was quicker in a couple spots and could get a run, but not enough to complete a pass into the next corner.  I felt I was flying through "The Bitch" and I could hear Jim bouncing on the rev limiter.  I was just hoping for that infamous 2nd to 5th shift!  Didn't happen.  There was a few pass and re-pass situations but Jim made it to the checkers first!  Congrats to Jim on another great race and great weekend!    I want to thank the other SM drivers that came to this race as well.  There may be incidents between drivers that sour a weekend, but I have never heard a negative word about the track.  I encourage others to come to this event next year.  25 laps on a track that doesn't give you a break is a completely different animal, especially with multiple cars in your mirrors.  I am happy to hear the track itself is doing well and will repave the entire track in two weeks.  We have all been promised by other tracks that they will repave/resurface, now we have one that didn't really need it actually doing it!  

Thanks for the support from: Race Engineering, Carbotech Brakes, The Vintage Connection, Mazdaspeed, Hoosier Tires, Summit Racing Equipment, & Jesse Prather Motorsports.

-Matt

• MPR22 and Jim Drago like this
BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Jim, Matt, video?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I still started P2 for Sunday's race due to the Majors qualifying rules.  A method I do not agree with most likely because it has prevented me from starting on pole twice on Sunday this year.  

I was quicker in a couple spots and could get a run, but not enough to complete a pass into the next corner.  I felt I was flying through "The Bitch" and I could hear Jim bouncing on the rev limiter.

-Matt

Had not given the qualifying much thought? At all other majors we have run ( to my knowledge)a faster race lap in Saturday's race would put you on the pole for Sunday. Probably should be that way IMO as well.

I watched my rear camera from Sunday. (better than front. You were flying through bitch and beating me there and four pretty badly. You always have a little on me in bitch, but more than normal Sunday. I struggled a little there and in four and you were really on, it magnified it. I will see if I can post a video this week.
  • Bench Racer likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Had not given the qualifying much thought? At all other majors we have run ( to my knowledge)a faster race lap in Saturday's race would put you on the pole for Sunday. Probably should be that way IMO as well.

I watched my rear camera from Sunday. (better than front. You were flying through bitch and beating me there and four pretty badly. You always have a little on me in bitch, but more than normal Sunday. I struggled a little there and in four and you were really on, it magnified it. I will see if I can post a video this week.

Just to be clear Matt is a little better then you at bitching? I highly doubt it!  :)

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Just to be clear Matt is a little better then you at bitching? I highly doubt it!   :)

No, he may be better at a lot, but I have bitching covered hands down! :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

Just to be clear on the qualifying procedure...

Sat Qualifying:

. Jim - 1:28.361

. Matt - 1:28.507

Sat Race best lap:

. Matt - 1:28.900

. Jim - 1:28.990

The Sunday grid sheet shows (as it should):

There have been other comments about using one's best lap in either Qualifying or Race.1 to set the grid for Sunday's race, but there are several scenarios in which one could turn a better race lap than they did in qualifying (particularly if there's only one session):

1. mechanical issues in Qual

2. weather issues in Qual

3. less traffic issues in the race (more pertinent to multi-class run groups)

4. driver is new to track and learned more during race

5. for a three-day event, driver couldn't make it on Friday to qualify

Counting one's best race lap in addition to any qualifying sessions gives a driver an additional chance to earn her/his "rightful" place in the Feature race, plus it helps satisfy the drivers' requests to (1) have two races and (2) have more racing and less "driving around real fast".

On edit - Now that the correct grid sheets for Sunday have been posted, look at Group 2. Nigel Saurino went faster in Saturday's race than he did in Qualifying (and also won FP), so he moved up to third overall for Sunday's race.

• Jim Drago likes this

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Sat Qualifying:

Sat Race best lap:

There have been other comments about using one's best lap in either Qualifying or Race.1 to set the grid for Sunday's race, but there are several scenarios in which one could turn a better race lap than they did in qualifying (particularly if there's only one session):

Counting one's best race lap in addition to any qualifying sessions gives a driver an additional chance to earn her/his "rightful" place in the Feature race, plus it helps satisfy the drivers' requests to (1) have two races and (2) have more racing and less "driving around real fast".

On edit - Now that the correct grid sheets for Sunday have been posted, look at Group 2. Nigel Saurino went faster in Saturday's race than he did in Qualifying (and also won FP), so he moved up to third overall for Sunday's race.

Butch,

I believe Matt's solution accomplishes the same result, even better it rewards the driver who dials in his/her car over the weekend even if the atmospheric conditions are not conducive to beating a qual time. It rewards those who are driving best later in the weekend. Also these two got to run off with no pressure from behind, I doubt that happens with a deeper field like at the bigger races. Or you could simply make Saturday morning qual time count for Sunday.

Either way seems more pleasing to the masses as you are more likely to improve you starting position.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Matt Reynolds

Matt Reynolds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Sat Qualifying:

Sat Race best lap:

Butch,

I understand the qualifying procedure; I just don't agree with it, and keep in mind I may be biased because I have been on the wrong end of this procedure twice so far this year.  Points 1-5 also support using the best lap times from Saturday's race to set the grid for Sunday's race.  Under this format, Nigel Saurino would have still started P3. 

My point is that those who do not experience some sort of incident during the qualifying and actually improve their time relative to others on the same track at the same time under the same weather conditions are not rewarded.  We made a set up change for Saturday's race and the result was the fastest lap time of that session.  The same thing happened to me at the Eagle's Canyon Majors. I was placed 3rd on the grid for Sunday's race despite having the fastest lap time of the Saturday race session. 

Again, had the current format affected me positively, I may not even be commenting on the topic.

-Matt

• MPR22 likes this
BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users