Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
There aren't many people west of Texas that would support this.
If 90% or more of the particpants are east of Texas, We might consider acomodating the people who want to particpate in the championship?
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

There aren't many people west of Texas that would support this.
If 90% or more of the particpants are east of Texas, We might consider acomodating the people who want to particpate in the championship?

I'm a passenger on this particular bus and can go either way with things, but I was simply trying to make it as attractive as possible to the maximum number of drivers. Would 90% of the participants east of Texas NOT support the series if it was laid out the way I've suggested? I don't know the answer to that...

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I'm a passenger on this particular bus and can go either way with things, but I was simply trying to make it as attractive as possible to the maximum number of drivers. Would 90% of the participants east of Texas NOT support the series if it was laid out the way I've suggested? I don't know the answer to that...

I dont either? :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Define support.  Sounds like fun, you guys have my support to have a good time.

If you mean patronage, well....

Think about how many of us out west traveled to road america for runoffs or june sprints.  Now think about trying to get us to not one, but 10 events that are all smaller.

I'd be somewhat shocked if you got one driver, let alone 10%.

Do your thing, it sounds awesome, just don't use our dollars to pay for it.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

On a side note, teen mazda challenge might be a good model for this.  Until recently TMC west was doing events in oregon, norcal and socal.  1000 miles between the two most distant events.  Seemed like a reasonable size for racers that want tougher competition but aren't ready to hire a tow rig driver and tour the country.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Obviously my communication skills are lacking:

"Support" in my mind means "participate" as in "will folks be more or less likely to run three events plus the Runoffs in this program?"

Drivers on the West Coast DO NOT need to run 10 events (that are all smaller than the Sprints or the Runoffs) in order to contend for the championship, and once every 3-4 years they can contend for the championship without ever going east of the Rockies.

???

Butch Kummer

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Obviously my communication skills are lacking:

"Support" in my mind means "participate" as in "will folks be more or less likely to run three events plus the Runoffs in this program?"

Drivers on the West Coast DO NOT need to run 10 events (that are all smaller than the Sprints or the Runoffs) in order to contend for the championship, and once every 3-4 years they can contend for the championship without ever going east of the Rockies.

???

I think I misunderstood your purpose for the tour.  I'd like to see a beastly 10 race tour points race across the east whose points race is MORE prestigious than winning the runoffs, and people that are serious show up to every one.

I'm not interested in repackaging the Majors and runoffs qualifying system into a new easier to swallow package.  I want to see you guys make a schedule with racing so good it makes most pro race series look like overfunded little leagues.

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I think I misunderstood your purpose for the tour.  I'd like to see a beastly 10 race tour points race across the east whose points race is MORE prestigious than winning the runoffs, and people that are serious show up to every one.

I'm not interested in repackaging the Majors and runoffs qualifying system into a new easier to swallow package.  I want to see you guys make a schedule with racing so good it makes most pro race series look like overfunded little leagues.

I now understand your misunderstanding!  :optimist:

My concern about a ten weekend series from Florida to (almost) Texas to Wisconsin the Watkins Glen with various points in between is:

How many folks will run even half the events much less all ten?

= = = = = =

On edit - so what if it was a six weekend series where you count your best eight finishes (which means a contender would never get "out-pointed" by someone s/he had never seen)?

For 2017:

. Sebring

. NOLA

. Road Atlanta

. VIR

. June Sprints.

. Watkins Glen

. Indy (counts twice, not "double points")

Oops - even without Mid-Ohio that's seven weekends so NOLA gets dropped since it's the least "bucket list". But then if you count best eight of fourteen (which means you still have overlap for at least one event) we could add NOLA back in.

Those left out:

. Mid-Ohio

. PittRace

. NCM (assuming SCCA ever races there again)

Butch Kummer

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I now understand your misunderstanding!  :optimist:

My concern about a ten weekend series from Florida to (almost) Texas to Wisconsin the Watkins Glen with various points in between is:

How many folks will run even half the events much less all ten?

Sounds like you should relocate a few more races until the scale is something you can see a racer that makes really low 6 figures make it to without getting divorced as a consequence.

Perhaps it should stay east of the Mississippi.

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Sounds like you should relocate a few more races until the scale is something you can see a racer that makes really low 6 figures make it to without getting divorced.

Perhaps it should stay east of the Mississippi.

See my edits...

Butch Kummer

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

For 2017:

. Sebring

. NOLA

. Road Atlanta

. VIR

. June Sprints.

. Watkins Glen

. Indy (counts twice, not "double points")

I think this is doable to most that would consider the series?  Not counting Indy that is 12 races..  

Best 9 races with Indy counting as single or 1.5x but MUST be counted and can not be a drop?

If cota comes back maybe we drop NOLA for cota, but NOLA is one of the more fun tracks and cities we go. 

I like that? No idea what others think?

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I'd be tempted to remove Road America/June Sprints for being out on the fringe, but I guess your target demographic already all go to that event so it might be a freebie..

The glen is out on the edge too.  Might be good candidate to remove.  Not sure.  Wrecked cars are bad for a series.

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Observation from a steward and broken down old ex-FF racer;  the more important a series is - as opposed to individual races - the less inclined competitors are to make high risk decisions.

I'd be tempted to remove Road America/June Sprints for being out on the fringe, but I guess your target demographic already all go to that event so it might be a freebie..

The glen is out on the edge too.  Might be good candidate to remove.  Not sure.  Wrecked cars are bad for a series.

• Jim Drago likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

Sounds like fun!  Just one question, since it wouldn't be tied into an SCCA program, and would be our own spin on it.  This wouldn't drive up the already high majors entry fees correct?

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Funding is still TBD depending on the level of services expected by the participants in the program and any sponsorship that might be arranged.

i.e. - Those choosing to participate should expect a (relatively small compared to the SCCA entry fee) "buy-in" fee.

Butch Kummer

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Butch, in general i like the ideas, How many of us are actually chasing points titles is the real question here, I have been racing sm since 2010, I have never set out to win a points title, I have been in the hunt 3 times late in the season and gone off to a last race I may not otherwise have gone to to try to win since I had the oportunity, but in general I personally attend races that I enjoy going to.  

I personally would not go to sebring in the winter becasue of my work schedule, I maight go to ATL, less likely to go to VIR, May or may not do watkins, I would likely attend Mid ohio because apparently i want to be put into a wall again, I would do Road America,  Not sure how I feel about Watkins with how agressive the driving has become in our class.

I feel like we already have two many titles and two many points standings etc.  Is adding another one what we need, that I dont know, personally I would rather just see the majors get a makeover to attend less tracks and bring back the nationals allthough I would like to see the Compliance czar attend some random nationals if that were to happen.  

K. Webb