kennynevarez

kennynevarez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:77

12 thousand dollars later I finished my SM. So I thought to myself, how can I build a road race miata for much much less? I decided to give it a try. 

So this car I built was for ITA and it really lacked some power. The engine was completely stock down to the timing. We used a cheaper suspension setup that actually works. 

I even included an  article if anybody is looking to build a ramen noodle miata.

http://www.trackdayl...race-car-build/

Okay so this car will never win nationals, but it puts a hell of a smile on your face to be able to race for such a small amount of money. 

Car: 2,500

Race Trim mods: +/- 1,500

Performance mods: +/- 2,000

Total Price: $5,980

*We got a lot of parts for free or came with the car; dont forget we did almost all the labor ourselves or got someone to do it for free.*

Attached Files

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

Ok, I'll bite:

We rev it all the way to the 7,800 rpm redline

Um.....

use Bilstein HD shocks

So the same crapola shocks as on an SM?  Get the ebay cheapo coilovers, they are much better.  We did that on our PTE/E3 enduro car and it is so much easier to drive than my SM (even though the E3 car still has a stock open diff), turns in better, handles curbs/bumps better, etc.  If there was one thing I could change about SM, it'd be to get us off those $&!*tacular shocks.

we did’t (sic) spend 10 grand on a Rossini engine

Rossini motors are roughly half that.  Hyperbole much? Anyway, just take the stock high-mileage motor and do basic head work and add an ebay header+straight pipe ($600 or so for machining and parts).  Again we did that on our E3 el-cheapo car and it is roughly as fast as my SM car with a top-notch motor.  (Full blown PTE cars will kill it however.)  Oh and advance the timing.  Takes a few minutes, nets quite a bit of power and is free.  (Obviously be conservative unless you use a dyno, can get AFRs etc.)

This is illegal in spec Miata but who cares do it anyways.

Clearly taking anything that article says at face value is pure folly.  Stopped reading at this point.  IMO, I'd assume the target audience for that sort of article would be people looking to get into racing who are not going to be able to separate what is supposed to be humorous/exaggerations and what is actually useful advice.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

kennynevarez

kennynevarez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Number:77

SUPER SERIOUS SM GUY IS SERIOUS!!!!! The article was written with tons of jokes and exaggerations. I mean i know its hard to understand what a joke is for a SUPER SERIOUS sm driver but anyways... the idea is a super cheap miata with no  extra expenses. no dyno time. no shock revalving. no LSD...just build and drive have fun, instead of spending tens of thousands of dollars just to keep up with the front runners we focused on what club racing is all about... you know fun....never heard of it? go look it up ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: budget, build, miata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users