mmcspecracer

mmcspecracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:New York
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:36

Danny, it's always a risk to post something on this site...especially for someone who isn't at the front of the grid, doesn't have the history in the sport as others, has never assembled an engine, and doesn't know everyone involved.

That said, I spent hours trying to understand what happened (with my limited mechanical understanding) and then posted what the situation looks like from a distance (to someone who just assumes the parts he buys are compliant).  I started my description of them by using the word "principled".  That was meant as a compliment, but you missed it.  Anyway, that is the sense I get about these guys (Will and Ken, specifically referenced here).

But instead of taking the high road, and calling or sending letters to engine builders/competitors, asking for a clarification from SCCA, or blatantly posting their perception of mass non-compliance here (not that vague NASA post from Ken), they waited until the biggest race of the year to file a mass protest.  I used strong language ("salivate" and "embarrass") purposefully to illustrate what this looks like.  Until someone posts that they tried to fix this situation in a friendly manner first, I'll assume that they sat on the information waiting to get people disqualified, instead of trying to get people to be compliant before they loaded their cars up for a long/expensive journey.  To me, that's poor taste.

Perhaps I'm naive, and the only way to make people play fair is to catch them in the act and expose them.  But I like to think that there's a better way than what happened (to the drivers).

Domm, if you read Jims post, its pretty clear that he had advanced knowledge that this was going to be a tech issue. He pulled all his heads and decided they were compliant. How did he know this was going to be an issue? You need to ask him. However, if you go back and read these boards, there are a dozen posts anticipating the drama that was going to take place in the tech shed given the Daytona protest. Also, the guys that sell us engines and parts all keep track of what the others are doing. Some talk to each other regularly and there is a fair amount that goes on behind the scenes that you and i dont know anything about. Its a bad assumption that Jim didnt know this was coming. Whether he told his customers and when, you would have to ask Jim and his customers. Will and Ken and crew did nothing wrong.

Also, assuming arguendo that Jim didnt know it was going to be an issue and he spent 16 hours examining his heads because he had nothing better to do, his position is that his heads are compliant. So you could have been as friendly as possible, told him nicely two weeks ago that you were going to protest and it wouldnt have mattered because he would have disagreed with you and told you that you were incorrectly reading the rule. in fact, for all we know, this may very well have happened.

But it all misses the point. This is not about the protestors or how they protested. Their protest was found to be timely and within the rules. They played by the rules and should never be criticized for follwoing the rules. End of story. The protesters are not the issue and should not be the subject of this discussion.
  • Ron Alan, George Willet, Todd Green and 1 other like this

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Collateral damage? How about the collateral damage of lost races by people that can never recover or have an opportunity for those wins ever again long before the runoff? Our head is compliant. My head builder understood the rules. He wanted to do more but couldn't.
  • Killian likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:97

But it all misses the point. This is not about the protestors or how they protested. Their protest was found to be timely and within the rules. They played by the rules and should never be criticized for follwoing the rules. End of story. The protesters are not the issue and should not be the subject of this discussion.

Spot on! In the long run it will be good for the class. We should be thanking the people who were willing to put up the money not giving them a hard time.

• Ron Alan likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Read all 26 pages...head hurts... Is a plunge cut something about dress design?

Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

What we've experienced here is a serious example of Rule Creep!  As one SM engine builder (not mine) once said to me, "It ain't cheating if you don't get caught".  The GCR is only as good as the infrastructure behind it that enforces the regulations.  We have two potential teardown races per year, the Runoffs and the ARRC.  The remainder of the season is covered by occasional Whistler and mechanical inspections, primarily at the Majors events, and that's spotty at best.  We have to decide who has the obligation to enforce the rule set.  Is it the sanctioning body or the participants through the protest process?  Or should there be a third body that represents our class that enforces the rules, as exists in the Mid-Atlantic SSM class?  I personally believe that the santioning body has the responsibility and is being paid to enforce the rules of each class.  The protest process should only be a stop gap measure which targets a participant with an obvious infraction. 

• FTodaro and High Chair like this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Like most, I don't open up my motor to verify it's legal but it's my car, my responsibility to field a compliant entry and my 3rd place thrown away.  I accept all those things and hold no hard feelings toward Will and Ken for the protest itself. 

However, I do take issue with the fact that Will and Ken have known about this for a year since they took possession of some high-performing cylinder heads from well-known engine builders.  For 12 months, they had a long list of options for addressing it ranging from making their fellow competitors aware of their suspicions, to contacting the SMAC/CRB for clarification to protesting at a regional or Majors event.  A lot of collateral damage might have been avoided by taking action before the Runoffs.

Talk about blaming the victim.  Brian, even if we assume that Will deliberately sandbagged on this issue, Roger Penske would call that the "Unfair Advantage."  It is up to each competitor to ensure that his car is legal, period end of story.  Honestly, it sounds like sour grapes to take issue with his timing.  And Drago wrote that he had heard that this could come and tried to take preventative measures.  So, people did have notice.

(I know neither Will nor Brian - or Roger Penske, nor did I run the runoffs ever).

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29

All the cheaters should be thrown out of the SCCA. Remember what happened to Steve G.

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:49

All the cheaters should be thrown out of the SCCA. Remember what happened to Steve G.

That seems a bit extreme David, at least on the part of the drivers, many of whom were under the belief that they indeed had legal motors. 

• svvs and Waterboy like this

Don't drive like my brother

2013 MARRS SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

That seems a bit extreme David, at least on the part of the drivers, many of whom were under the belief that they indeed had legal motors. 

Lynch them all, I am sure David took the time to become an expert on all things SSM anmd took his engine fully apart to be sure the his is lilly white if he could tell anyway, oh but wait its a sealed motor there could be no wrong inside there.  

Sebastian, yous and my motor are sealed also IMO, as neither of us have gotten inside to check, we all have to trust someone in life!  Even if we are cheaters in the end...

People are losing sight of reality here, even the builders thought they were compliant period amen or wouldnt have risk it, the competitors sure as hell didnt know what inside of those negines looked like, well maybe Berry, but only because he has been torn apart before and probably took at peek at it then, other than that he is not allowed to turn a wrench on his car and I know this to be fact!  Ever seen Drennan with dirty hands? 

Many in this class have been caught cheating over the years, most of which had no idea they were doing so, very few are knowingly doing something that will get them bounced.  

As for Gorilla he did not get suspended for cheating as I recall but for conduct on the track, which I have not seen since his return.

The sun will surly rise in the east just as it always has and SM will remain the most popular class in racing maybe in the history of the SCCA/NASA.  I have been scouring the classifieds for all those cars from the people dumping them due to all the problems in the class but I cant seem to find one to steal.  Not sure what to make of that...  Anyone who wants to sell a good car for half to get out of the class please contact me first. 

Ok back to the chopping block

• DrDomm likes this

K. Webb