Photo

Should Mazda be directly involved in SM rules?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Mazda direct involvement poll (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Mazda be directly involved in defining Spec Miata rules?

1. Yes, their technical advice should carry considerable weight (41 votes [33.61%])

Percentage of vote: 33.61%

2. Yes, but only in an advisory role and not given more weight than member feedback and the SMAC (56 votes [45.90%])

Percentage of vote: 45.90%

3. No, their motives may be pure but this is best left up to the members of the class and the SMAC (18 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. I'm not sure I know enough about it to vote with confidence (7 votes [5.74%])

Percentage of vote: 5.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
MPR22, i'm not sure how much Mazda is "spending". As I recall, and someone please correct or clarify as needed, the racing arm budget is determined by their revenues. Of course the mother ship is happy for the upsides, but I think that Maza Motorsports is expected to be self-sustaining through sales of parts, perhaps a piece of the action when they sell cars to members, etc. but I don't think the factory as such is putting out a lot of cash to support amateur racing with an expectation that the public in general will notice or care.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Mr. Ross, if your referencing me find your facts and post them or take a deep breath and give it a rest. Fact less post filler is just that.

You know I love you David.  You are good for the class, as you keep others honest about their facts.    I also know we see Spec Miata from a different perspective.  If you can't take the ribbing this might not be the best place to express your opinions.  If you had Pat Ross as your father you would have a very thick skin and understand all statements, opinions or otherwise, are subject to scutiny and criticism and you had better be prepared to defend your position. With the exception of me using a fictional character of the name DD, what do you see in my post that isn't realistic or fact?   

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

MPR22, i'm not sure how much Mazda is "spending". As I recall, and someone please correct or clarify as needed, the racing arm budget is determined by their revenues. Of course the mother ship is happy for the upsides, but I think that Maza Motorsports is expected to be self-sustaining through sales of parts, perhaps a piece of the action when they sell cars to members, etc. but I don't think the factory as such is putting out a lot of cash to support amateur racing with an expectation that the public in general will notice or care.

They are not spending per se as much as they are supporting through continued production of parts that are quite honestly not needed by the non-racing community.  They sell those parts to us via the Mazdaspeed Motorsports program at a reduced rate.  They do spend thousands of advertising dollars on pro-racing via car sponsorships and television branding.  I never said that it was purely altruistic on their part, it is a business decision.  If the class suffers, do they not suffer?  

• Glenn likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Here's this guy again. :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZWnz2yvENAY

J~

• Alberto likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

what does mazda motorsports know about machining a cylinder head?  

just my.02

You know the old saying, measure twice and cut once. Please read my post below a second time with reference to head manufacturing process and you'll discover the post does not say Mazda MotorSports. Nuff said. :bigsquaregrin:

Why, we'll have a bigger fox in the hen house.

Should Mazda be directly involved in defining Spec Miata rules?

1. Yes, but only by providing the detailed Mazda head manufacturing process information.
  2. No, their motives may be pure but this is best left up to the members of the class, the SMAC and CRB.
  3. I'm not sure I know enough about it to vote with confidence

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

They are not spending per se as much as they are supporting through continued production of parts that are quite honestly not needed by the non-racing community. They sell those parts to us via the Mazdaspeed Motorsports program at a reduced rate. They do spend thousands of advertising dollars on pro-racing via car sponsorships and television branding. I never said that it was purely altruistic on their part, it is a business decision. If the class suffers, do they not suffer?

They stock and produce, or have produced through non-original sources, what they can sell direct to us at a profit to fund their MM endeavors. I think that's great and very much appreciate it, but I think the MM folks are enthusiasts who have worked hard to justify doing what they enjoy for a living and we get something out of that. If they suddenly folded I doubt it would even be noticed on Mazda's bottom line. Back in the day Datsun/Nissan was the model of success for such support but they eventually decided to bale and only years later was someone able to partially revive it. The Mazda Motorsports team has since dominated in their grass-roots support and they deserve all kudos. Mazda corp gets credit for allowing them to continue.
  • Think Racing likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

It sure would of been nice if someone said a couple years ago in one of those meetings...

"hey, you know, the whistle test is a lot more accurate with the valve cover off..."

I'm not saying it would of been the Mazda guy, but...

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

They stock and produce, or have produced through non-original sources, what they can sell direct to us at a profit to fund their MM endeavors. I think that's great and very much appreciate it, but I think the MM folks are enthusiasts who have worked hard to justify doing what they enjoy for a living and we get something out of that. If they suddenly folded I doubt it would even be noticed on Mazda's bottom line. Back in the day Datsun/Nissan was the model of success for such support but they eventually decided to bale and only years later was someone able to partially revive it. The Mazda Motorsports team has since dominated in their grass-roots support and they deserve all kudos. Mazda corp gets credit for allowing them to continue.

I was using the generic Mazda and should have been referring to the Mazda Motorsport branch.  The question was worded Mazda and i did not differentiate the two in my comments.  I suspect corporate finds some value (not nominal) in keeping the Motorsports division running, it is a lot easier to explain their brand (zoom-zoom) to the masses.  

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
OK, understood, and agree. Except that like Datsun before them Mazda makes very little effort to explain it to the masses, or even mention it to them. 😕

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

DD would say, "that's great then we all have to buy junk yard engines and the costs go down."  

DD would say, that's great now we can use aftermarket parts which are cheaper."  

On to the son of Pat Ross. Never could you find a post of mine to support your two comments above. Several years ago the site sent me on vacation for a period, don't factually remember for how long. If I remeber a few others have taken a vacation, more so from th eprevios site operator. I try very hard never to post sarcastically, really. The ol skin is pretty thick and most likely why now and then I stick it back to someone who has it coming. Did you feel the stick? 

Steve is all over the deal with his comment, "the racing arm budget is determined by their revenues." Some couple years ago one of the site players passed on info about how Mazda USA supports it's racing habit. Don't remember the facts, therefore will not test my memory  and pass gas.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

OK, understood, and agree. Except that like Datsun before them Mazda makes very little effort to explain it to the masses, or even mention it to them.

https://www.youtube....h?v=R_tjM8eEqUo

Way back in the day

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QvyJm0eCTjs

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

I'm ok with their stated goals.  The way I read their press release, this has more to do with the way the SCCA handled the Runoff's than any specific rule.  The ruling by the SCCA was and is being handled so poorly (IMO), I can understand Mazda's interested in getting it resolved.  This has very little to do with how a head is machined in my view.  It has more to do with the fiasco the sanctioning body made of the runoffs.

I'm guessing SCCA National will give Mazda's point of view more weight than it should.  Who knows where that will take the class.  

• CruzanTom likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

https://www.youtube....h?v=R_tjM8eEqUo

Way back in the day
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QvyJm0eCTjs

Yep, Datsun had theirs too after an impressive string of victories, but I rarely saw any of their racing promo stuff outside of the showrooms of those dealers who "sponsored" someone or had an enthusiast on staff. It ain't NASCAR.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
THIS is back in the day:

http://youtu.be/U5XAP4pCRps

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Yep, Datsun had theirs too after an impressive string of victories, but I rarely saw any of their racing promo stuff outside of the showrooms of those dealers who "sponsored" someone or had an enthusiast on staff. It ain't NASCAR.

Do you cable TV yet? :)

Just kinding.

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

THIS is back in the day:

http://youtu.be/U5XAP4pCRps

That's a long commercial !!!

J~

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

That's a long commercial !!!

J~

There is a book about this season called "Chasing the Silver Carrot"

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Mazda has been more committed to this class than just about any of the participants.  Without their continued support the class would cease to exist or at a minimum be a shadow of its current glory.  

.  And for all you guys that want this class to quit evolving and be a 1.6 only class, how does that benefit the main sponsor of the class.  SM5 integrated into SM or SM5 alone is the future of the class.  Corporate America is just as responsible for the growth of SM as the participants.  

Ding Ding Ding we have a winna......Especially given the ND soon to be released.

The folks here NEVER thought or expected the NB cars to get integrated either...but I digress.....

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Y tty 4565544yy tut. I upyuppiesyuppiesyuppies yuppies 6thu yield of the most part, the only 6th one u yields. 6y6666
  • RussMcB likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Y tty 4565544yy tut. I upyuppiesyuppiesyuppies yuppies 6thu yield of the most part, the only 6th one u yields. 6y6666

Danny has been possessed by Andrew!!!!!!

• john mueller and Anthony Ralston like this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users