Photo

Should Mazda be directly involved in SM rules?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Mazda direct involvement poll (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Mazda be directly involved in defining Spec Miata rules?

1. Yes, their technical advice should carry considerable weight (41 votes [33.61%])

Percentage of vote: 33.61%

2. Yes, but only in an advisory role and not given more weight than member feedback and the SMAC (56 votes [45.90%])

Percentage of vote: 45.90%

3. No, their motives may be pure but this is best left up to the members of the class and the SMAC (18 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. I'm not sure I know enough about it to vote with confidence (7 votes [5.74%])

Percentage of vote: 5.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
dstevens, I don't know how many classes the roundy-rounders have where you are or how many rules per class they try to enforce, but it can't be anything remotely close to club racing. Guys I know running the dirt tracks around here talk about their 2-pages of rules, half of which is about fighting, and laugh at us.

SM is a big class and important to the clubs but they don't own tech, and can't completely take it over every race.

We'll just keep seeing the advertising a little differently I guess becsuse I still think you miss my "closed system" point.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Many thought Obama and the govt could do a great job providing health care reform, many still do... Others think its a disaster.

We don't need Mazda to fix our problem we can fix ourself.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
Many thought Obama and the govt could do a great job providing health care reform, many still do... Others think its a disaster.

We don't need Mazda to fix our problem we can fix ourself.

I see two sides to this argument both sides need to come together...

So if Mazda makes decision for one side or other will that make rainbows for the class? This decision could doom the class IMO and they don't have the slightest idea how many of these heads are on cars presently racing how would they do they have a crystal ball that peers into race shops nation wide?

Let's pretend we throw 1000 heads in trash because they are illegal. What will they do to the price of cores certainly $1000+ on day one. Who can produce 1000 heads before we race the beginning of January? How can we be assured that anyone will actually throw their head away and replace? How can we enforce this rule without tear downs each weekend?

K. Webb

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I love statistics. I make them up all the time.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
[quote name="S. A. Crebleu" post="67807" timestamp="1413981964"]

I love statistics. I make them up all the time.[/quote

I know you do :)

K. Webb

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
Let's just say its very possible that the only ones that will really make out if a lot of heads are deemed illegal is the same bastards that made them illegal in the first place. Don't worry about if its a grey fox or a red fox just give them a whole lot of fried chicken!

Most think those builders will be deeply hurt by deeming these heads illegal... Think again their business will most certainly have at least a short term windfall...

I know I know that is just all fiction.

Senserouly Dr. Sues

K. Webb

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
One last bed time story...

Builders in sm have a super secret pact that nobody knows about.

They all got together at tileys house and decided that nobody should be given an illegal engine except those very few that could win a big race so that their illegal heads would be torn down.

Sounds like a ridiculous story doesn't it. But don't worry its all true little boys and girls the only illegal heads in this class are on those 8 cars we really have no real problems to solve.as they had the secret pact not to build every head they produced the same way. Bead blasted and deburred. I trust this version of the story please join me in also this deep belief.

Nighty night now.
  • john mueller likes this

K. Webb

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

One last bed time story...

Builders in sm have a super secret pact that nobody knows about.

They all got together at tileys house and decided that nobody should be given an illegal engine except those very few that could win a big race so that their illegal heads would be torn down.

Sounds like a ridiculous story doesn't it. But don't worry its all true little boys and girls the only illegal heads in this class are on those 8 cars we really have no real problems to solve.as they had the secret pact not to build every head they produced the same way. Bead blasted and deburred. I trust this version of the story please join me in also this deep belief.

Nighty night now.

Now Kyle is channeling Andrew......

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Why is it not ok for Mazda , but certainly acceptable for the big name car and engines builders to be in power positions to craft the rules?

• john mueller, Kyle Keenan, ChaseH and 1 other like this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Why is it not ok for Mazda , but certainly acceptable for the big name car and engines builders to be in power positions to craft the rules?

Pat, dude !!  First think you said that's made sense in like 3yrs....  Welcome back!  Where you been buddy?   :cheers:

• Bruce Wilson likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

Well played.

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

This is and will always be a bone of contention for many. I have no issue with Mazda having input, but don't think it is "needed". You need extremely knowledgeable of the class and cars to be involved in the rules. No one will ever know our class and cars like those who compete in it. It is a volunteer system, so you will always have people intimately involved in the class writing the rules and on the committees.
BTW, as most know, this is my last year on the CRB so you can point these to just the SMAC guys next year :) THE SMAC can use a few new members, if interested send your resume to CRBSCCA.COM

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I have seen both sides of this in my past racing experience. I raced ATVs in the GNCC series. The motorcycle companies came in when the sales were very strong in the 1999-2008 timeframe. Everyone cheered---they offered discounts and money and prizes.......Many of the smaller companies that had helped to keep things going when things were not so good, were put out of business. The recession happens----They all pull out....  Guess what happens next...........

Mazda is in the business of selling cars first--NOT MOTORSPORTS. ALL of the Engine builders/Parts sellers are here mainly for the racers--   yes for profit too. But you can count that they will do the right thing---at least in their minds to keep things going for them and thus the racers.... I have bought 75% of my parts--used and new from East Street--Jim. He gave me setup advise more times then I can remember---even at a time when I had not spent barely anything with him. Ti-Speed-Dan--same thing maybe a engine builder but lots of time on other parts of the car. If car sales tank our class can move on, but our GREAT motor sports friends at Mazda Motorsports might not have control over their destiny from the parent company.... 

SOOOOOOOOO,.....

I welcome additional help from Mazda for our class as long as it doesn't come in takeover form. 

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Jim only helped you because he felt sorry for Christen.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Jim only helped you because he felt sorry for Christen.

I am very clear where I stand.......  I always start the conversation----We are working on Kristen's car and ...............................................  :hugegrin: 

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Matt Busby

Matt Busby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Kentucky
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:787

Ultimately, Mazda just wants whats best for the class - They, like most here want to protect what it stands for and what it means to their brand. This whole runoffs business has cast a dark shadow over the class, Im sure Mazda just wants to be a part of removing that shadow. 

Change is coming. Whether its good or bad is a matter of perspective but I would imagine there are some "bigger picture" conversations that have started because of this mess. 

• Alberto and pat slattery like this

NCM Motorsports Park 

Track Operations Manager 

Building a SM in a garage somewhere.... 

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Ultimately, Mazda just wants whats best for the class - They, like most here want to protect what it stands for and what it means to their brand. This whole runoffs business has cast a dark shadow over the class, Im sure Mazda just wants to be a part of removing that shadow. 

Change is coming. Whether its good or bad is a matter of perspective but I would imagine there are some "bigger picture" conversations that have started because of this mess. 

Ding ding ding on the first comment!

And based on a lot of similar opinions that have been put up...when that change comes there may be a lot more gasps than applause  :noidea:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Well the interesting thing is just this survey with its admittedly small but vocal sample size says the 76% of all Spec Mata drivers that took the time to respond says that they want Mazda involved in some capacity. A seat on the SMAC, an advisory position or merely just observer status, who knows??? But I personally hope that they follow through and create some confidence, normalcy and stability.
  • pat slattery and Brocodile like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Looked at from the other end, only 35% want their advice to "carry considerable weight". In other words, all input is welcome but control should still remain within the club and the class.
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
Glad at least Steve can read a statistical analysis.

K. Webb