Photo

Should Mazda be directly involved in SM rules?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Mazda direct involvement poll (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Mazda be directly involved in defining Spec Miata rules?

1. Yes, their technical advice should carry considerable weight (41 votes [33.61%])

Percentage of vote: 33.61%

2. Yes, but only in an advisory role and not given more weight than member feedback and the SMAC (56 votes [45.90%])

Percentage of vote: 45.90%

3. No, their motives may be pure but this is best left up to the members of the class and the SMAC (18 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. I'm not sure I know enough about it to vote with confidence (7 votes [5.74%])

Percentage of vote: 5.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Please do not underestimate John Doonan. He has been racing longer than many of you have been alive. His father raced for many years and John has raced himself in the past. And he hopes to race again soon. He may be the public arm of Mazda Motorsports, but his heart is in the drivers seat.

Mazdas opinions and input should be very highly valued. What is good for Mazda Motorsports in the long run will also be good for the racers in the long run. And vice-versa.

Dave

• Dave Cox, Glenn, Alberto and 2 others like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Danny has been possessed by Andrew!!!!!!

https://www.youtube....h?v=O_6oxv1lYa4

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Please do not underestimate John Doonan. He has been racing longer than many of you have been alive. His father raced for many years and John has raced himself in the past. And he hopes to race again soon. He may be the public arm of Mazda Motorsports, but his heart is in the drivers seat.

Mazdas opinions and input should be very highly valued. What is good for Mazda Motorsports in the long run will also be good for the racers in the long run. And vice-versa.

Dave

Having worked for the last 3 years in IMSA/GA, I can say personally that John and his staff are the best thing this class could ever hope for.  They are consummate professionals and great guys to work with.

• Think Racing likes this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Too funny. Stepping off my flight from Auckland to Melbourne, started reading the thread, put my phone in my pocket, went through security, opened the thread and saw what my pocket had to say!!! :-) and I concur wholeheartedly! !!!
  • Tyson Schwiesow likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
I have a solid vote for Mazda's involvement both in the rules and the enforcement. We keep on talking about "the fox guarding the henhouse", and the dilemma that no one will do this thankless job unless there is some commercial interest.

But Mazda does have commercial interest, and as long as John Doonan or any of the guys at Mazda Motorsports are not drivers at the front if the SM class, then I think we have our perfect solution. Commercial interest (skin in the game), a serious desire to see this amazing class continue, and no conflict of interest..... hopefully!!
  • Glenn and Alberto like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

The sad part is Danny's right butt check types better than Charbs!!!!

Luv you both

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brocodile

Brocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:61

To the conflict of interest point: I assume Mazda makes money on its parts, and thus wants to sell lots of them. I certainly hope it's a profit center; otherwise parts availability is bound to become a problem sooner than later. Beyond that direct interest, racing is an integral part of Mazda's marketing program. Logically, then, it's in Mazda's best interest to help maintain the popularity of the class, whether by providing an ample supply of parts at a reasonable price, or by providing technical support when necessary. Right now, it looks like that support is needed. 

In my opinion, any conflict of interest is more perceived than real. We should welcome Mazda's expertise. I'm guessing their involvement will be confined to suggestions for revising the current ruleset and perhaps crafting fixes for the plunge cut and, more significantly, the excessive CR without junking a bunch of heads. I can't imagine they would want to put a representative on the CRB. If they do, I say welcome to our world.

• Glenn likes this

Skip Brock
OPM Autosports, Nelson Engines
2012 SARRC Spec Miata Champion
2012 SEDiv Regional Driver of the Year

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I'm ok with their stated goals.  The way I read their press release, this has more to do with the way the SCCA handled the Runoff's than any specific rule.  The ruling by the SCCA was and is being handled so poorly (IMO), I can understand Mazda's interested in getting it resolved.  This has very little to do with how a head is machined in my view.  It has more to do with the fiasco the sanctioning body made of the runoffs.

I'm guessing SCCA National will give Mazda's point of view more weight than it should.  Who knows where that will take the class.  

I think you may be right, this could be more about how SCCA handled things, you have to admit, it sure sounds like there could have been a legitimate issue of poorly crafted rules, at play. That falls on SCCA. 

this just does not make anyone look good.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

The sad part is Danny's right butt check types better than Charbs!!!!

Luv you both

Dave

I was thinking Charbs hacked Danny's account!!

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

it sure sounds like there could have been a legitimate issue of poorly crafted rules, at play. That falls on SCCA. 

this just does not make anyone look good.

It not just a few rogue engine builders huh?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

It not just a few rogue engine builders huh?

J~

The thing that makes me see red is that previous to the issue at the Runoffs these same guys would have looked us in the eye and argued this bull$hit massaging and smoothing the port runners was legal. :grr: Only heard about the smooth runners second hand today. Trust the second hand info guy who received the info from someone hands on who I also trust.

Is there a gag order on the head issues, no ones talking.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

On to the son of Pat Ross. Never could you find a post of mine to support your two comments above. Several years ago the site sent me on vacation for a period, don't factually remember for how long. If I remeber a few others have taken a vacation, more so from th eprevios site operator. I try very hard never to post sarcastically, really. The ol skin is pretty thick and most likely why now and then I stick it back to someone who has it coming. Did you feel the stick? 

I was using your fondness for the old days and translating that into my fictional character.  You don't seem to like today's rules. You keep harping on the Mazda factory methods of plunge cutting as if it will make the competition more level.  

I did not feel any stick, but little pricks have never bothered me.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I was using your fondness for the old days and translating that into my fictional character.  You don't seem to like today's rules. You keep harping on the Mazda factory methods of plunge cutting as if it will make the competition more level.  

I did not feel any stick, but little pricks have never bothered me.  

Some pricks add nothing technical to the subject at hand, maybe the research takes to much time. The whole point of knowing the mazda proces is that the process could be provided to the enegine builders so they could plunge cut an un-shroud without a secondary process to eliminate burrs or hanging stuff other than possibly a high pressure water wash. Had the engine builders followed a process as (there trial and error process didn't work) completed by other OEM head manufactrues we wouldn't be in the mess we are today and all psibilities are Drennan ould be the National Champion. I beleive todays plunge cut and un-shroud rules need a bit of clarity and there good to go. I do understand todays rules alotho there a bit bussy. Carry on, I'm out of this thread. :wave2:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

We all know Ross is a size queen...

(somebody HAD to say it)

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

what does mazda motorsports know about machining a cylinder head?  do they build sm engines even?  You would have to speak japanese and get their engineering department in on this especially on their professional racing side and im sure they have nothing better to do then worry about the world of SM...

Dont get me wrong they are very nice people to deal with when I buy my parts most helpful as a matter of fact, but I personally dont feel they have the expertise on this one to weigh in.

just my.02

That is a poorly formed opinion.  MSM provides support to top level, professional race teams with far more experience than anyone in SM or even the club ranks of SCCA.  They bring resources that no other single entity can bring to the class short of having another manufacturer involved.  MSM is more than the nice folks that sell parts at a discount to racers and thinking the company wouldn't be able to adequately address technical concerns in this package is naive.  They have serious, high end motorsport engineering professionals directly employed and available via the pro teams they support.  To imply that MSM lacks the technical ability to consult the class is laughable and not supported by the facts.

Yep, Datsun had theirs too after an impressive string of victories, but I rarely saw any of their racing promo stuff outside of the showrooms of those dealers who "sponsored" someone or had an enthusiast on staff. It ain't NASCAR.

This isn't Datsun and then, it's Mazda and now.

You may not watch as much motorsport on TV as I but the Mazda promotion extends well outside the dealership and is presented often (sometimes a bit too often for my taste, but those series don't have enough TV sponsors to begin with...)  on national broadcasts every week during racing season.  They also have a non trivial print campaign.  There is a huge branding effort on the part of Mazda to equate the popularity of sports car racing, including club racing, with the Mazda brand.  It's not NASCAR and that is what I think makes the campaign more impressive in that the promotional effort is just as professional but for a much smaller market.  Sure they could leave just like Dodge left NASCAR and more recently sports car racing.  But they are here now, have a vested interest in the class and bring resources to bear that no one else associated with the class currently can.

If anything, I say "what took you so long?"...

• Glenn and Alberto like this

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

. Carry on, I'm out of this thread. :wave2:

Best news i read all day.