Photo

Should Mazda be directly involved in SM rules?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Mazda direct involvement poll (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Mazda be directly involved in defining Spec Miata rules?

1. Yes, their technical advice should carry considerable weight (41 votes [33.61%])

Percentage of vote: 33.61%

2. Yes, but only in an advisory role and not given more weight than member feedback and the SMAC (56 votes [45.90%])

Percentage of vote: 45.90%

3. No, their motives may be pure but this is best left up to the members of the class and the SMAC (18 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. I'm not sure I know enough about it to vote with confidence (7 votes [5.74%])

Percentage of vote: 5.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

I might also point out that there are about 50 letters on the CRB site (on the SMAC agenda) commenting on the head/throat cut/short radius yada yada yada issue.  If you did not post one of those letters, expect your opinion to go uncounted.  I have read them all, as have most of the CRB members and most of the SMAC members.  They have also been made available to the folks that will be meeting on Thursday.  So, you have a few days left to let all the parties know your opinion.  

Please, please, please make it short.  The posts that go on for pages are a problem to digest, given the volume of letters.  So, just title it "SM head compliance", or something similar and tell us if you think the rules should stay as they are (be clarified? but stay the same) or the rules should be changed to allow for some work on the short side radius.  

Go to www.crbscca.com or www.clubracingboard.com and follow the prompts.

wheel

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I might also point out that there are about 50 letters on the CRB site (on the SMAC agenda) commenting on the head/throat cut/short radius yada yada yada issue.  If you did not post one of those letters, expect your opinion to go uncounted.  I have read them all, as have most of the CRB members and most of the SMAC members.  They have also been made available to the folks that will be meeting on Thursday.  So, you have a few days left to let all the parties know your opinion.  

Please, please, please make it short.  The posts that go on for pages are a problem to digest, given the volume of letters.  So, just title it "SM head compliance", or something similar and tell us if you think the rules should stay as they are (be clarified? but stay the same) or the rules should be changed to allow for some work on the short side radius.  

Go to www.crbscca.com or www.clubracingboard.com and follow the prompts.

wheel

Thank you for the links to express input.

As you are always a straight forward informed voice please help save the SCCA from them selves.  While I can understand a car going 55.1 in a 55 mile an hour zone is speeding, the enforcement shouldn't be the death penalty.

We just had a National Championship where all the cars that went through post race tech passed.  Then we had 8 cars protested for one specific rule and were DQ'd-ish.  Then the SCCA declared the winner.  To my knowledge the top three went through zero tech.

Thank you for your service to the club.  It needs some real help and post Runoffs review.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I will be going as the NASA's representation at this meeting.  The decisions made at runoffs effects the entire class not just SCCA so I've been asked to be there as well.

• Johnny D likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

We all understand you dropping out, but if you find a legal head you're more than welcome to come back.

Just kidding :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Thank you for the links to express input.

As you are always a straight forward informed voice please help save the SCCA from them selves.  While I can understand a car going 55.1 in a 55 mile an hour zone is speeding, the enforcement shouldn't be the death penalty.

We just had a National Championship where all the cars that went through post race tech passed.  Then we had 8 cars protested for one specific rule and were DQ'd-ish.  Then the SCCA declared the winner.  To my knowledge the top three went through zero tech.

Thank you for your service to the club.  It needs some real help and post Runoffs review.

I dont think it was the death penalty...I think it was a DQ, or DQish? 

I don"t understand the tone of those who think this was nothing...or nothing substantial enough to make such a big deal about?

With this type of attitude what is the point of any of the rules we have? I think 50% of what is writing in our rules is minutia. But someone thought it important enough to write it! Our rules even go so far as to say if it doesn't say you can...you cant! So why would SCCA write rules and then not enforce them? 

Well, that question was tested this year. When it couldn't be confirmed or guaranteed by tech officials that the protested rule was going to be looked at...the process to make sure it was was put into motion. And guess what...SCCA found a reason to enforce the rules.

So here we are...and now Mazda(for reasons that are coming out)has stepped in with what i can imagine is some considerable leverage. Whatever the outcome, be it rules clarification/changes/addendum's, i would think they want to make sure there is nothing colored gray and that any perceived lack of oversight does not continue. My guess is they take their brand and the considerable effort they put forward in amateur and pro level racing very serious. To have there most popular race car in negative headlines could not have gone over very well...I'm glad they are involved at some level.

I will live with whatever is decided and move on...knowing that the process, admittedly creating casualties, does work. 

As always, just my  :twocents: which is probably depreciating! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Interesting that Mazda, a third party to the Runoffs drama, is given access to all of the heads in Topeka for examination and /or testing but the drivers and engine builders who originally owned the heads cannot see them. I support Mazda's involvement but that should not come at the expense of the SM racers. Why shouldn't a Drennan or Drago or any of the other participants get a look too?

Tom

Tom

I will let those who were also there correct me if I'm wrong on this. I saw several parties...both drivers and engine builders go into the "shed" and look at their head with officials. For sure one party I spook with was able to look at other heads in question as well...because he described some of the issues to me. 3 of the 4 engine builders were there. The car owner of the 4th head(not present builder) did go into the shed I believe. Point being your statements are not accurate Tom. For sure some...if not all got to see what was being questioned. 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

For sure one party I spook with ...... 

???????? Black helicopter time !!!!

• Ron Alan likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

I will let those who were also there correct me if I'm wrong on this. I saw several parties...both drivers and engine builders go into the "shed" and look at their head with officials. For sure one party I spook with was able to look at other heads in question as well...because he described some of the issues to me. 3 of the 4 engine builders were there. The car owner of the 4th head(not present builder) did go into the shed I believe. Point being your statements are not accurate Tom. For sure some...if not all got to see what was being questioned. 

My understanding is that none of the drivers or engine builders at the Runoffs were able to view ALL of the heads, as Mazda is doing. If I am wrong, so be it. Like you, I am relying upon hearsay.

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Car Number:39

Tom, personally I would prefer that anyone that has his car in impound should be able to see anyone elses car being torn down, but that is NOT the case in SCCA. At the NASA champs it was pretty neat to have all three of the top cars next to each other with crews helping each other out to get the cars torn down. We all were able to see what everyone else was doing, but no-one really paid too much attention to the others cars as they were being disassembled 

• Alex Bolanos likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bill Etherington

Bill Etherington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:NNJR
I was not at this Runoffs so I do not know what tear down procedures were used for the SM's. I also don't know how close the impounded SMs were placed.

From my experience at the other Runoffs where there were SMs the cars were lined up next to each other and were torn down within plain sight of the other competitors.

I know the competitors can request privacy curtains be put around the car to protect their privacy but I don't remember ever seeing a SM driver request the curtains. When the parts are taken into the tech trailer the driver and other crew (engine builder, etc) are allowed to witness the testing/measuring. Whether they can look at the other competitors parts I can't tell you.

I know during the Majors races I have been to in the last two years the SMs were grouped closely together during compliance checks.

I do believe in hoods up impounds. Tech is interested in getting your suggestions as to what you would like to be checked. We do establish a check list before the event as to not be seen as being on a witch hunt.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Danny I was the only builder not present for tech. I was dealing with my daughter being hospitalized and didn't have time too get there. The head of my inspected was said too be the closest bit felt too smooth??? Compared too a 99 casting from who knows where instead of comparing too a vvt head. I have continued too be quiet but that time will end soon very soon. All I can say is no power tools were used. A sm head flows between 185-195 Cfm and the restricted flows 158-160cfm as I've said before there is no gain from increases flow on the intake side of a restrictor engine
  • Danny Steyn likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

scott sanda

scott sanda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

A sm head flows between 185-195 Cfm and the restricted flows 158-160cfm as I've said before there is no gain from increases flow on the intake side of a restrictor engine

And this might be very true at peak flow, but it is certainly not true at lower RPM/flow.

A blended R will eliminate detached airflow and create/allow attached air flow.  This is a nice, smooth, non roiled, non turbulent flow that will allow more air to reach and flow through the valve, especially before peak lift.

The gain is under the curve, not necessarily at the top of the curve.

If people do not think under the curve power increases, even by a few percent, is not significant, then they are misguided at best.

I don't run SM, I don't care what rules you write or follow. I'm just tired of people trying to say, with a straight face, that a blended lead in radius creates "no gain". That is simply handing people bovine feces and telling them it is Dove soap.

• pat slattery likes this

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

Runoffs teardown was all done door to door with no privacy curtains and people helping each other.   The cars were close enough that we had a hard time getting them on jackstands.  Hoods were up on the first three cars for 6-8 hours straight.

Competitors were not allowed to view other competitors heads in the tech shed.  The exception may be if your engine builder was present and was your representative, he may have been able to show more than one of HIS heads.  I was explicitly not allowed to examine anything other than my head and the stock head.

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

zoomzoom22

zoomzoom22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:Southeast

preparing for early racing in the 2015 season.  So, there will be something very quickly after the meetings next week.    

wheel

You guys do realize the 2015 season has already started right?  

The first 2015 points race was goblins go.  

Has it been stated who is attending the meeting as the representatives?

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
I have flow testing that shows a gain at low lift I also have flow testing that shows a loss at all lift levels. It is casting specific. Some gain some lose. The data I am referring too has been submitted
  • Mike Collins, john mueller, MPR22 and 1 other like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Danny I was the only builder not present for tech. I was dealing with my daughter being hospitalized and didn't have time too get there. The head of my inspected was said too be the closest bit felt too smooth??? Compared too a 99 casting from who knows where instead of comparing too a vvt head. I have continued too be quiet but that time will end soon very soon. All I can say is no power tools were used. A sm head flows between 185-195 Cfm and the restricted flows 158-160cfm as I've said before there is no gain from increases flow on the intake side of a restrictor engine

Chris let's not mess this thing up with Facts for god sake.

If we were to find ourselves back to bone stock heads. What kind of swing would you expect to find between Stock heads?

• Steve Scheifler likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Exactly the question I have.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Car Number:57

Chris let's not mess this thing up with Facts for god sake.

If we were to find ourselves back to bone stock heads. What kind of swing would you expect to find between Stock heads?

Much higher than what we have now, shame we can't just fix enforcement rather than change the rules. 

• pat slattery, steveracer, Caveman-kwebb99 and 5 others like this

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
I'm with Alex.
  • Danny Steyn likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
OK, then if you are certain about the differences between bone stock please provide more information so we can all have better informed opinions. For example, for a given generation engine, quantify the difference between average (or median if that makes more sense) and the 90th percentile in terms of power and torque, based strictly on differences in stock heads.

Now do the plunge and repeat, comparing the average to the 90th percentile. And, how do those now compare to the stock range?

Now do whatever you propose as the spec "blend" and repeat.

Only with those kind of numbers can we hope to judge the best solution. You all sound so certain that I assume you must have a pretty good sense of them at least, so convince us.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users