Photo

Should Mazda be directly involved in SM rules?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Mazda direct involvement poll (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Mazda be directly involved in defining Spec Miata rules?

1. Yes, their technical advice should carry considerable weight (41 votes [33.61%])

Percentage of vote: 33.61%

2. Yes, but only in an advisory role and not given more weight than member feedback and the SMAC (56 votes [45.90%])

Percentage of vote: 45.90%

3. No, their motives may be pure but this is best left up to the members of the class and the SMAC (18 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. I'm not sure I know enough about it to vote with confidence (7 votes [5.74%])

Percentage of vote: 5.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Perhaps the most shocking statistic is that over 7% admit not knowing enough about it to cast a vote! And here I thought that everyone on the internet was expert in everything and all too eager to prove it.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

(Beating Johnny to the copy and paste punch)

In our effort to continue our open communication with our customers, I wanted to provide you with an update on the investigation into the Spec Miata rules infraction that was identified during the most recent SCCA Runoffs. All of your e-mails, phone calls, thoughts and input we have received have been very valuable and appreciated. As you know, the SCCA’s board of directors meets on Friday, October 31 to discuss the next steps. In preparation for this meeting, and as partners, Mazda and the SCCA have been working very closely.

Our first step has been to gather as much information as possible on what transpired at the SCCA Runoffs. The next step has been to understand the state of the current environment. We’ve been listening to varying interpretations of the rule in question; what it states; what it should have stated; what it should state in the future, if anything different; and why. We are fortunate to have many experts within the Mazda family and within the SCCA family who have helped in all of these discussions.

In an effort to perform our due diligence, we have formed a team of industry experts including Mazda technical staff to travel this week to Topeka, Kansas where the cylinder heads that did not pass technical inspection at the Runoffs are being stored. This team of unbiased, industry experts will inspect the cylinder heads to gain a clear understanding of the work performed on them to deduce the functionality, performance benefits, and reason behind it. We are confident that this comprehensive understanding coupled with all the information we have gathered thus far will help the SCCA’s board of directors make the best and right decision for the class, our customers.

Thank you for your support in us,

John Doonan
Director, Mazda Motorsports

- See more at: http://mazdamotorspo...h.3s47EuRN.dpuf

• Glenn likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
How do I get an invite to THAT event? I'll gladly pay my own way.
  • Alberto likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

How do I get an invite to THAT event? I'll gladly pay my own way.

I do not know but i would like to be a fly on the wall. How interesting that would be to see how they decide this and what information that thought was important. I do not know but i assume they do this in a confidential environment, and not open to the public.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

In an effort to perform our due diligence, we have formed a team of industry experts including Mazda technical staff to travel this week to Topeka, Kansas where the cylinder heads that did not pass technical inspection at the Runoffs are being stored. This team of unbiased, industry experts will inspect the cylinder heads to gain a clear understanding of the work performed on them to deduce the functionality, performance benefits, and reason behind it. 

I do not know but i would like to be a fly on the wall. How interesting that would be to see how they decide this and what information that thought was important. I do not know but i assume they do this in a confidential environment, and not open to the public.

Interesting that Mazda, a third party to the Runoffs drama, is given access to all of the heads in Topeka for examination and /or testing but the drivers and engine builders who originally owned the heads cannot see them. I support Mazda's involvement but that should not come at the expense of the SM racers. Why shouldn't a Drennan or Drago or any of the other participants get a look too?

Tom

Tom

• FTodaro likes this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I could not agree more Tom... allow the competitors themselves to be there or a representative of their choosing while mazda mulls over the STR cuts.  

This needs to be as transparent as possible.  

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I assume there's minutes to the meeting, right ??

Could they publish them after the meeting, they could edit out the cluster parts.

Or just release a statement after the meeting?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

all we have seen is statements...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Interesting that Mazda, a third party to the Runoffs drama, is given access to all of the heads in Topeka for examination and /or testing but the drivers and engine builders who originally owned the heads cannot see them. I support Mazda's involvement but that should not come at the expense of the SM racers. Why shouldn't a Drennan or Drago or any of the other participants get a look too?

Tom

Tom

Agree Tom,  lawyers have a thing for wanting to be represented and have a voice in the room. As competitors, some who have lost money and some who may have to spend some money, we have some interest in whats going on.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

SCCA should allow one representative elected from the SM racers of that division attend the meeting.  It makes no sense to have rules set without representation from the competitors.  

It reminds me of a few years ago at Texas World Speedway, SM was run group 1,  we went through qualifying and huge rainstorm hit during run group 3s qual session, which wiped out all subsequent qual session.  The stewards unilaterally decided to wipe out SM's qual times and use Saturdays race times as the basis for Sundays grid.  

They almost had a riot on their hands as 35 or so drivers stormed their lunch table.  After giving us the, we are the race directors and we get to choose speech about 30 of the drivers told them to refund their money since we supposedly didn't turn a lap.  Eventually the stewards decided it was ok if our qual times stood.  

This is the future of our class and we have should have a seat at the table or the SCCA could very well have run off those who have other places to spend their money. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

what division are we referring to mpr?

every competitor that was relegated possition should be invited or they shoudl be allowed to send a representative.  

maybe they could find a bigger room to accomdate those 8 people???  

K. Webb