• Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

Well if that becomes the direction then here you go:

http://www.drmachine.com/

Nearly 40 CNC's, 8 of them 5 axis machines

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Well if that becomes the direction then here you go:

http://www.drmachine.com/

Nearly 40 CNC's, 8 of them 5 axis machines

You may need to be a lights out facility. :rotfl:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East

We do run lights out on several stations. :optimist:

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Back to petitioning NASA and SCCA... Would it fair to say (given the results of the poll which stands at 71.6% feel the wrong decision back to stock heads is being made, 14.8% aren't sure and 13.5% like the idea) that the significant majority position is that the current head prep rules should stay in place?  That is preferred over allowing plunge cut blending?  That tighter enforcement is preferred over a rule change?

After reading a lot of posts and talking to a few it seems like this is the majority position and the one that would best satisfy both the racers and the organizers who desire to keep competitor prep levels and costs tight.  

If so then I'll write a statement (and gladly take input) and publish a petition over the weekend and the individual letters to the CRB and to NASA should continue.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East

Back to petitioning NASA and SCCA... Would it fair to say (given the results of the poll which stands at 71.6% feel the wrong decision back to stock heads is being made, 14.8% aren't sure and 13.5% like the idea) that the significant majority position is that the current head prep rules should stay in place?  That is preferred over allowing plunge cut blending?  That tighter enforcement is preferred over a rule change?

Yes, I'm in agreement with this. Plunge cut should remain but better enforcement is required. Here's what every member affected will face:

Head, $1500, core if/when available $600-$1000. So we're looking at $2500 if we do our own wrench turning because my car was compliant is not an acceptable solution.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

After reading a lot of posts and talking to a few it seems like this is the majority position and the one that would best satisfy both the racers and the organizers who desire to keep competitor prep levels and costs tight.  

If so then I'll write a statement (and gladly take input) and publish a petition over the weekend and the individual letters to the CRB and to NASA should continue.

Tom, my take is overwhelmingly the class feels the descision is wrong for the class, but dont read blending and deburring being allowed is what that vote means.

Many do NOT want deburring and blending to be allowed, but would prefer to be able to re plung cut their heads, and what this vote really tells me is most of us already have heads that have been re plung cut, some others of us have re plung + things many dont want.

This is why I asked Ross to make this a yes or no.  We need as a group to find a position that we all agree on.  Re plung cutting is just that IMO.

Those in charge IMO should get busy finding a way to allow re plung cuts yet defitively making blending deburring illegal as well as tech inforceable rather then coming up with the answer that we cant find a way to spec it or tech it other then looking at it and making a judgment call.  Many said we could never put a man on the moon or sail around the world yet it could be done and it was, surely finding a way to spec and check a plung cut for rules creep is must less complex then going to the moon, and we have some very damn smart people in this class.  I am not one of those people but at least I am smart enough to know we can do it just not the how.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:72

As Michael said, if we could develop a Spec Miata head for each Miata engine by CNCing the heads to maximum flow rate, any further work would be futile and probably counter productive.  Once this had been implemented, we could then adjust weights and restrictor size to equalize all cars. 

If you had a CNC'd head and decided to leave the class, you could probably get a premium price for your car. 

The 1.6 and NA 1.8 could then become relevant again.

BTW I had Lingerfelder CNC a pair of Corvette heads using their CNC patterns this included new valves, springs and retainers for $1800.  That's about $900 for each head using my core.  That is less than we are paying for pro built heads right now.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

As Michael said, if we could develop a Spec Miata head for each Miata engine by CNCing the heads to maximum flow rate, any further work would be futile and probably counter productive.  Once this had been implemented, we could then adjust weights and restrictor size to equalize all cars. 

If you had a CNC'd head and decided to leave the class, you could probably get a premium price for your car. 

The 1.6 and NA 1.8 could then become relevant again.

Problem is that will not be supported by a majority in the class, many just want to race what they feel is a legalally re plung cut head with no blending dburring done, many are being punished by this descision, they are not happy that they need to spend to replace a head when they followed the rules from the very begining.  Having to send your heat off to CNC it is the same as making them have to go to a stock head, maybe the result is beter in the end but making them spend more money when they were already compliant is the problem here with all these descision!

These and other ideas are why we will not get the descisions already made overturned because we are not speeking with one voice!

• GROOTS likes this

K. Webb

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

This is simple!!!!

I believe that 70+% will agree we should be able to re-plung cut and stop there and call it a day!

SCCA and mueller need to hear a very Simple message!  Nothing more nothing less.

• pat slattery, steveracer and James York like this

K. Webb

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

Problem is that will not be supported by a majority in the class, many just want to race what they feel is a legalally re plung cut head with no blending dburring done, many are being punished by this descision, they are not happy that they need to spend to replace a head when they followed the rules from the very begining.  Having to send your heat off to CNC it is the same as making them have to go to a stock head, maybe the result is beter in the end but making them spend more money when they were already compliant is the problem here with all these descision!

This solution isn't about the past, it is about the future.  Too much is being made of the activities at the Run-offs.  We, as a class, need to look to the future.  If we leave it up to the powers that be we deserve what we get.  

I assume if we mass produce these things we will get a reasonable price.  Once the heads have been optimized we can move on to leveling the playing field with weights and plates (may not solve 1.6 tq issue).  If anyone has a problem with making the playing field level FOR ALL YEARS then they will be the obstructionists.   

As has been said by CNJ and many others this is about going forward, if we don't provide the SCCA, NASA, Mazda with reasonable options we are no better than that sorry group of people who represent us at the highest level, CONGRESS.  Let's be better than them and make this work. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Car Number:72

Kwebb,

I feel the same way.  We have both a '99 and a 2001 that we are having to replace the heads on and I don't like to spend the money just for the sake of the SCCA and NASA's stupidity, but if the final solution is to CNC the heads so that all have the same flow profile and air flow rate, then I will spend the money to end this fiasco.

If we CNC the heads then there will be no need to tear down the heads in the tech shed since all heads will be at their maximum.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Mr. Ross, you surely are a smart dude...

We cannot look to the future before we secure TODAY!

K. Webb