MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

A part that many are missing is the ability to true the heads and get back to stock compression.  Yes they blocks can still be decked but now they have taken away the ability to clean up old heads that may or may not be flat. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Car Year:1990

so 3 years ago to keep costs down machining heads was put in place. 

This allowed the use of many more heads that were either non-compliant, or just undesirable. Hence helping to keep head core cost down. 

now, because the rules allowing head performance balancing were written with an unclear section and others decided to blatantly ignore the rules, this is pulled.  Thus going back to exactly the situation that was in place before that was proven not to help the community.

again, a place where logic and reasoning has no place.  

so back to the whole club thing,  no members had input on this, it was decided for the group;  so where do we write the letters to?

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Again, this is unofficial and comes from my attending the Topeka meeting as a consultant to the group as Chairman of the CRB.

As someone who has raced in our class, understands it and as chairman of the CRB, I'm going to assume that you pushed back hard on some of this in the meeting and that you were simply overruled by others who are not as familiar.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

so back to the whole club thing,  no members had input on this, it was decided for the group;  so where do we write the letters to?

did that work last time?

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

An unofficial explanation:

If you have stock heads with a three angle valve seat as required in the current GCR, you can run at the regular weight.  In order to not require that all the heads out there be dumped immediately, there will be a way to run the (legal) plunge cut heads with an amount of weight that has yet to be determined.  If you have the plunge cut and your short radius has been cleaned up (currently non-compliant), (say by 3 mm or so - also TBD) you will have to carry additional weight, but you can still run the heads.  If your short radius is blended, ported and cut back, shame on you and don't run the heads at any weight.  By the end of next season only the stock heads will be compliant for the Runoffs.  NASA will determine at which point the stock heads will be required for their Championship races.  

Dyno testing is underway to determine how much the plunge cut and blending are worth.  Expect the weight to be sufficient to encourage everyone to change to stock heads sooner, rather than later.

All of this will be coupled with an aggressive tech program.  So, declare what you are running and expect to be called on it at some point.  This tech program will not be just for the Majors.

Again, this is unofficial and comes from my attending the Topeka meeting as a consultant to the group as Chairman of the CRB.

Wheel,

So are you saying that outside SCCA Championship event for 2 years, each model year will have 3 weight listed on the spec line?

1)  Stock head

2)  Head plunge cut are presently defined (with clarification) in the GCR

3)  Head plunge cut and deburred (but no excessive blending)

And that's in addition to the overbore in each of the first three

I have been thru tech when they don't even understand the overbore weight difference so do you really think this is even practical? 

And while I welcome additional tech, I would wager anyone that anything substantial will ever take place.  There was a reference in the press release about taking the class back to bring out those presently sitting out due to deviation from the intent.  Do you think those have fun,budget guys are going to pull their heads at the track when (if) a compliance team ever shows up?

I would have thought a better decision would have come out from the meeting.  Pretty dissapointed in those people and the club.  It makes zero logic for the club to reverse its position on the plunge cut that they put in place in the first place to REDUCE cherry picking and suspect head fabrication.  Doing this will do nothing to allowing the "stock" junkyard, low budget folks be competative.  So the rule change does nothing toward achieving the fluffy PR statement about returning the class to its roots.  In fact, it was just made worse.

• KentCarter, Cnj, Karl and 1 other like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

did that work last time?

hahaha, 

Doing the same thing and expecting different outcomes is the definition of insanity isn't it? 

• Chris70 likes this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

hahaha, 

Doing the same thing and expecting different outcomes is the definition of insanity isn't it? 

not calling you crazy just stating the obvious... How many letters can the CRB produce from members asking for stock heads?

• Tom Sager likes this

K. Webb

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

It is important to note that this was a collective decision not an individual one. So we will not know who voted for what and likely they cannot talk about the specifics of that. So my point don't shoot the messengers.

The message we have to send is to the group as a whole, so if you do not like the way your club is handling this then voice your opinion there also, otherwise its just noise.

http://www.crbscca.com/

Edit:

the working group

www.clubracingboard.com

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

it like asking if you if you like oranges or apples and and then saying you really wanted a kiwi fruit, so here it is eat it and be happy.

K. Webb

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Number:98

Extremely Disappointed!

Sad Day for SM racing!

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

not calling you crazy just stating the obvious... How many letters can the CRB produce from members asking for stock heads?

it just seems dumb to me,  so now to have a reasonably competitive car I need to hoard heads over the winter, and flow all to find the "good" ones. 

of course this is all a joke as the 1.6 is toast anyway, and there are a group saying just leave them behind. 

so my new car, with new fresh motor are all useless. 

I guess I should get my Formula Continental prepped for next season.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Wheel,

So are you saying that outside SCCA Championship event for 2 years, each model year will have 3 weight listed on the spec line?

1)  Stock head

2)  Head plunge cut are presently defined (with clarification) in the GCR

3)  Head plunge cut and deburred (but no excessive blending)

And that's in addition to the overbore in each of the first three

I have been thru tech when they don't even understand the overbore weight difference so do you really think this is even practical? 

And while I welcome additional tech, I would wager anyone that anything substantial will ever take place.  There was a reference in the press release about taking the class back to bring out those presently sitting out due to deviation from the intent.  Do you think those have fun,budget guys are going to pull their heads at the track when (if) a compliance team ever shows up?

I would have thought a better decision would have come out from the meeting.  Pretty dissapointed in those people and the club.  It makes zero logic for the club to reverse its position on the plunge cut that they put in place in the first place to REDUCE cherry picking and suspect head fabrication.  Doing this will do nothing to allowing the "stock" junkyard, low budget folks be competative.  So the rule change does nothing toward achieving the fluffy PR statement about returning the class to its roots.  In fact, it was just made worse.

He said weights but I hope they haven't left the plate off the table either.

And if everyone was really close and happy, let the rule stand. :prayer:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

it just seems dumb to me,  so now to have a reasonably competitive car I need to hoard heads over the winter, and flow all to find the "good" ones. 

of course this is all a joke as the 1.6 is toast anyway, and there are a group saying just leave them behind. 

so my new car, with new fresh motor are all useless. 

I guess I should get my Formula Continental prepped for next season.

Brian, there in lies the problem...

Guys like you that may or may not have or know what they have in their cylinder heads are punished as if you did something wrong.  Even the protestors at the runnoffs if they had re plungged their heads all have to replace theirs and therfore are being punished even what what they did was right and justifiable.  I would think that less then 5% of those racing in this class actually are racing with a Bone Stock head, I know of at least one.  many have stock bottom ends but most of us make our first performance purchase with a Pro built head to get a few ponies.  Once anyone has done that they will now need a new head within the limited time and will have to take weight penalty before such time.  

And one last thing you can flow heads till your blue in the face, you will need to actually dyno test to know for sure one is better then another, and who wants to do all that or be left behind, that is alot of damn work for the front runner and damn near impossible for anyone else.  If I had a FC car it would be an easy choice for me right now. 

K. Webb