AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I read the release. Possibly confused?

-        Permit plunge cuts and unshrouding per the current rules, but with clarification of concentricity, as well as some level of blending of the plunge cut (language TBA). These modifications may require that additional weight be added to the car.

Like I said, with a weight penalty and that is only TEMPORARY.  The allowance to plunge cut will go away.  You are not reading close enough, or a bad copy paste not including all the data from the PR.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Freiheit

Kyle Freiheit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:8

and

-Weight additions will compensate for the power gains from the head modifications, while also encouraging the behavior of changing back to an unmodified head as soon as possible.

-The allowance of these modifications will have a sunset period of one to two years, based on parts availability.

For some reason I thought it was referring specifically to adding weight for the non concentric plunge cut and blend not spefically to the plunge cut. Possibly misread. 

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

I suspect that Kyle is reading RM-14-20 and not the FULL SM realease

You are probably correct.  Lots of various information out there and hard to keep up with it all for sure.

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Strongbad

Strongbad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Year:1992

Besides the CRB, who should we send emails to ?

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

-Weight additions will compensate for the power gains from the head modifications, while also encouraging the behavior of changing back to an unmodified head as soon as possible.

-The allowance of these modifications will have a sunset period of one to two years, based on parts availability.

'01 cars are gonna be about 2550 pounds with parity adjustments, STR adjustment and plunge cut adjustment.  Even you, Frank, are going to be breaking front hubs now.  If too soon, I apologize for the attempt at humor.  

• Jim Drago likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:70
What do the engine builders that created this have to say?
I mean from the sounds of it they didn't even look close to legal and I'm 99% sure that's not what the customers asked for.
  • David L, Glenn, Alex Bolanos and 1 other like this

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

I can see the blipshift shirt now:   "The SCCA!  Turning heads into Boat Anchors for more than 70 years!"   Sorry, couldn't help making that joke.

As an aside, all these heads are Performance Touring Legal!   PM for classing help anytime!

GROOTS

GROOTS

SM

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:48

If a plunge cut head (Without blending) is totally compliant with our rules as they stand now, then why are we going to be penalized for it. The plunge cut should be good no matter what. Going back to a totally stock factory head is going to cost a lot of people a lot of money. WHY !!! ???  The only thing that needs to change is to clarify the rules to say No blending, porting in those areas. If you have a head that has been blended or ported GET RID OF IT or if you admit it ,take the weight penalty ?

• George Munson, FTodaro and B(Kuch)Kucera45 like this

Jeff Gruter

Excell Motorsports

Paramount Tool & Equiptment http://www.ptetool.com/

Hatzel & Buehler Electrical Construction - IBEW

GROOTS

GROOTS

SM

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Why ??  Its legal now !  Blending and porting are the problem

Jeff Gruter

Excell Motorsports

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

I sincerely hope you're putting this in letters to the CRB and NASA.

If a plunge cut head (Without blending) is totally compliant with our rules as they stand now, then why are we going to be penalized for it. The plunge cut should be good no matter what. Going back to a totally stock factory head is going to cost a lot of people a lot of money. WHY !!! ???  The only thing that needs to change is to clarify the rules to say No blending, porting in those areas. If you have a head that has been blended or ported GET RID OF IT or if you admit it ,take the weight penalty ?

• GROOTS likes this

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Mazda, SCCA and NASA all agree that changes must be made for the long-term health of the class, regardless of which sanctioning body operates the races.

What a joke!  If the above is true.  Why didn't they make a change that improved the long term health of the class?  This is just another reset that will cost a large group of SM competitors money.  The ability to keep all the weights and specs straight is unenforceable.  I'll kiss The Caveman's ass the first time a car gets its Head Tech'd at a Carolina Motorsports Park regional race.  The Club just doesn't have the ability to do it.

• GROOTS likes this

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Thanks to all the engine and car builders that put the SM community in this Shite

• David L, Glenn and High Chair like this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

What a joke!  If the above is true.  Why didn't they make a change that improved the long term health of the class?  This is just another reset that will cost a large group of SM competitors money.  The ability to keep all the weights and specs straight is unenforceable.  I'll kiss The Caveman's ass the first time a car gets its Head Tech'd at a Carolina Motorsports Park regional race.  The Club just doesn't have the ability to do it.

There could be a "Scarlet Letter" for each mod on the front of the head.

Just saying

J~

• Keith Andrews likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

GROOTS

GROOTS

SM

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

I hope everybody writes a letter !!! 

• Parity likes this

Jeff Gruter

Excell Motorsports

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Mazda, SCCA and NASA all agree that changes must be made for the long-term health of the class, regardless of which sanctioning body operates the races.

And if the above was true, these people would spec the same fukin tire if they really cared.  They can't even do that to ease the dollars its takes to crossover.  So any bogus statements about health of the class is just smoke and mirrors.  I didn't even know our class was unhealthy.....  What class had the most or 2nd most entrants this year in the SCCA again?

• FTodaro and Keith Andrews like this

James York

sponsored by: