• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

John, 15 years ago there was the Neon Challenge series.  We had a -2.4 degree max rule.  Sounded like a good idea.  Turned out to be horrible.  The cars really needed -3+ degrees so everyone was trying to run at max allowed.  Tech set up an alignment rack which was to be the official measurement area using their gauges.  They checked cars after qualifying and races.  There were frequent DQ's.  You had to make an appointment to get on the tech alignment pad during the race weekend to check your car.  Fields were often 25-50 cars not unlike SM.  Can't tell you how much time and energy was wasted waiting for your turn on the pad, rechecking the car more than once per weekend and adjusting.  For if you had your car aligned at the best shop around before the weekend and then got to the track only to find that you were over or under on the "offical pad" (either way you were adjusting the car), you spent half the damn weekend putzing with camber.  It was not fun.  Heaven forbid you had contact with another car or ran over a curb and had to check/adjust again and if the official tech pad wasn't available, well, that was your problem.  Guage and platform variances were a nightmare.  

Eventually there were events where the officials told us they weren't going to bother measuring it.  It was too much of a pain in the butt for tech, drivers and crew.  

I think we've got enough to worry about at any give race weekend.  I think camber should be open and I question the benefit that anyone running -4 degrees thinks they are getting.  

I hear ya... Thanks for the reasonable dialogue. 

• Cnj and Steve Scheifler like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davearm

davearm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:66

Levity? I'm not laughing. I want to race. I race both NASA and SCCA, and with a limited budget. How about working on something that will really help everyone, like getting SM on the same tire for both organizations. Tires are my biggest expense (unless I need to get a new(stock) head), and allow a camber setting for each car that is optimal for that car, thereby increasing the probability better tire wear, and a better, easier handling car.

• Mike Babcock likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I hear ya... Thanks for the reasonable dialogue.

Am I being unreasonable? 😟
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Am I being unreasonable?

Not you...  Others.  Folks amongst the trees who don't realize they're in the forest.

• Alberto likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Oh were so close !!!  Were almost on the same page.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lz0IT4Uk2xQ

J~

• john mueller likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

20,000 FOOT HYPOTHETICAL CAMBER RULE JUST FOR STEVE
Negative Camber can not exceed -2.2 at any wheel

Pros:

• Helps take the class back toward it's origin
  • Eliminate parts bin blue printing (lowers cost)
  • Eliminate part testing (lowers cost)
  • Eliminates the "magic part" search from MazdaSpeed (lowers cost)
  • May contribute to lowering amour of track testing (lowers cost)
  • Allows those with modified parts to continue to use them (lowers cost)
  • Easily attainable camber setting (parity)
  • Rewards good drivers (intent of the class)
  • Makes a lot of folks more happier (larger fields)
  • I'm sure there are more, I'm doing this quickly...

Cons:
  • Makes the car harder to drive fast (impact less talented drivers disproportionally)
  • Pisses off a bunch of folks (this one may be a pro, I can't decide) :banghead:
  • I'm sure there are more....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Again guys, this is the sort of changes are fixin' to happen. It's best to be proactive and embrace it rather than fight all of them, cuz I suspect they're will be many.

I'm out for the rest of the day. Flame away... My skin is getting thick, I can take it.

I really don't understand why you are fighting for this. You are asking us to take a significant increase in our most expensive recurring expense, tires. With less camber we are going to wear out our tires even faster.

The Hoosier recommended camber in the front is -3 deg. That is not possible with 100% stock suspension components. We are also running on rims that are a bit too narrow for our tires. That leads to sidewalk flex necessitating more than 3 deg camber.
  • Alberto likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Whenever a newbie gets on this website, and asks what is the best header, or cam or whatever; we refer him to rule #1. If it does not say you can, you can not.

Whether the rule makes sense to you or not, we live in a land of rules and we are supposed to race in a land of rules. Unless I missed it, there is no rule allowing you to modify the spindle, control arm, pickup points, etc to increase camber. Therefore you can not, and anyone who does is illegal. IMHO, if they are doing it intentionally, they are cheating.

By the way, I have several sets of "blueprinted" front spindles on the shelf, I do not use them. I will not sell them as that would encourage cheating. I can get 2.75 to 3.25 front camber and easily 3.5-4.0 rear with stock unmodified components. I have jigs for all control arms and have never found a "magic" arm that from the factory gives additional negative camber. It is probably sitting next to Webbs Unicorn!!!!

It is the additude that, "If I can get away with it, it is ok" that got us into this situation in the first place. Not kicking anyone in particular as this problem goes all the way back to Cams and pistons back in 2005.

Build it legal, race it legal, have more fun

Dave

• john mueller and Ron Alan like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Oh by the way, I am against a camber rule. I am also against purposely bending parts.

Dave

• john mueller, Duncan and Alberto like this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Nobody disagrees with most of that Dave, but that simply is not the point. The only question should be: Would the class on the whole benefit from a rule change?

Even the constitution has been improved a few times, and still needs a little work.

And my magic part is a spindle/upright, not a control arm.
  • powerss likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

can somebvody please tell me what pro7 is?????

Never heard of it!

Young buck, there is knowledge in maturity.

Pro7 was, maybe still is the lefty version of Spec7/IT7? on steroids. Spec7 regional only class was/is the 1st gen RX7 with limited modifications not as open as Spec Miata. CenDiv, left coast, Texas, DC, southeast had it and there were 4 Spec7/IT7 cars at the ARRC a couple weeks ago. Folks in different divisions cheated/bastardised the rules similar to what has happened with all the different Spec Miata classes. Want to know who holds the track record at Blackhawk Farm??? :bigsquaregrin:

• Alberto likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

In all the years and all the cars, I have never seen a spindle that gave extra negative camber that was not bent. Some on purpose, some by accident. But anything is possible.

Let's look at it a different way. many of us would like to allow the "ring" to be removed from the back side of the flywheel. Not saying I am for or against. But it was Mazda who vetoed that modification as they did not want liability issues on a modified factory part. What do you think their view will be on taking a machined cast iron part, heating it and putting it in a press to intenionally bend it. Especially a steering/suspension component.

No insider info, but my intuition says this is a no starter.

Dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Young buck, there is knowledge in maturity.

Pro7 was, maybe still is the lefty version of Spec7/IT7? on steroids. Spec7 regional only class was/is the 1st gen RX7 with limited modifications not as open as Spec Miata. CenDiv, left coast, Texas, DC, southeast had it and there were 4 Spec7/IT7 cars at the ARRC a couple weeks ago. Folks in different divisions cheated/bastardised the rules similar to what has happened with all the different Spec Miata classes. Want to know who holds the track record at Blackhawk Farm??? :bigsquaregrin:

Damn congrats on the track record...  I barely remeber what the old rx7 looks like i think its one of those cars that sounds like a popcorn maker no?

K. Webb