James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

My perception is that parity among 1.6s would have been upset.  Would turn into a bit of wallet racing among the 1.6 crowd IMO.  Those with $ would upgrade and gain whatever potential benefit was involved.  That change alone is still unlikely to get the 1.6 up to par with the 99.

So you are willing to accept zero unless you think it totally meets your expectation of putting a 1.6 on par with a 99.  Interesting philosophy.  There is a bunch of optional expenses with varying degree of impact that drivers elect to use or not.

Isn't the SM class wallet racing anyway in some sense?  How often do you test and put on fresh tires compared to others.  More, less......

I didn't think there was any wallet racers left in the 1.6 anyhow from what I read.  They all bought and moved on to 99s+.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'm sorry Brandon but I'm against any suspension parts and it not because I don't want to spend money,

REAL SIMPLE!!

Don't put them on! Many of the 1.6 "experts" also shit canned that proposal and that resistance had the BOD vote it down, so no one was permitted because of a vocal few. Makes sense to me  :) Perhaps there is more than one issue that needs addressing or can be helped?  this doesn't need to be an either or deal. Why would you dismiss a better part(s) to be allowed to be put on your car that is on other cars that you compete against you? This is cutting off your noses to spite your face. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Did the bushing that gave more camber get approved ?

How much closer does that get them now ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
REAL SIMPLE!!
Don't put them on! Many of the 1.6 "experts" also shit canned that deal and that made it where no one was permitted. Perhaps there is more than one issue that needs addressing?  It isn't an all or nothing. If a better part exists and would be allowed to be put on your car, why in the world would you be opposed?

I understand Jim. I'm never against anyone choice of trying it I'm just saying I wouldnt spend my money on as I feel it wouldn't benefit me. Now I never voted against it and the guys that did decided the same thing or they where cheap ( I Dont know witch ).

I feel that at a national level they should be mandated to run the parts. now if they don't want to they can always run regionals and making it optional to help them guys save some money !

Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

So you are willing to accept zero unless you think it totally meets your expectation of putting a 1.6 on par with a 99.  Interesting philosophy.  There is a bunch of optional expenses with varying degree of impact that drivers elect to use or not.

Isn't the SM class wallet racing anyway in some sense?  How often do you test and put on fresh tires compared to others.  More, less......

I didn't think there was any wallet racers left in the 1.6 anyhow from what I read.  They all bought and moved on to 99s+.

My "philosophy" is as follows - If you are going to create a rule to allow me to improve my car, make the improvement worth the cost involved.   

Do you have any data that would quantify the improvement in lap times by allowing the NB suspension parts?  At the time, there was no data.  4 years ago when the rule proposal was made, the full on migration to the NB chassis was still picking up steam.  

I could be blind to the benefit but a compelling case to allow it was never made.

You guys do have a point on it being optional though.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

That's what killing me here. Everything is optional.

If the rule says you can take off .010 off, it's optional, run stock if you want.

So why not say take .05 off (whatever is the correct number) if it helps you get parity.

And I don't see the difference to take .010 or .050 off, where's the cost, your still taking something off ?

But when all is said and done, was it worth it to make an apple into an orange, or just go get an orange?

Carry on,

J~

• Alberto likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

REAL SIMPLE!!

Don't put them on! Many of the 1.6 "experts" also shit canned that proposal and that resistance had the BOD vote it down, so no one was permitted because of a vocal few. Makes sense to me  :) Perhaps there is more than one issue that needs addressing or can be helped?  this doesn't need to be an either or deal. Why would you dismiss a better part(s) to be allowed to be put on your car that is on other cars that you compete against you? This is cutting off your noses to spite your face. 

Excuses!!! I may have lipped off on this site about the 99 suspension parts on a 1.6, don't remember writting a letter.

And the "experts" that proposed the 99 suspension parts never did validate how the 1.6 with suspension parts would compete with the 99 plus in the torque department below 5,500 rpm. And please don't start the, we never race below 5,500 rpm. Did anyone on the SMAC/CRB ever on this site float the idea of dropping the 99 engine in the NA chassis.

This stuff is all said with a :bigsquaregrin:    

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1.6 Montana

1.6 Montana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Southwest Montana
  • Car Number:09
I have never met anyone on here so I hopefully won't offend and have no background to even start.

I didn't even know about the suspension discussion and humbly submit that it's benefits seem marginal..... however appreciated.

Back to the discussion.....Torque is the answer
And I think again, most 1.6ers (including myself) would pay 2-3k or more for REAL numbers. If it puts down more power we will sign up and pay!

Build it and they will come!

Once again I'm new here and don't have any back ground or technical savvy, is torque that hard to come by???

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Excuses!!! I may have lipped off on this site about the 99 suspension parts on a 1.6, don't remember writting a letter.

And the "experts" that proposed the 99 suspension parts never did validate how the 1.6 with suspension parts would compete with the 99 plus in the torque department below 5,500 rpm. And please don't start the, we never race below 5,500 rpm. Did anyone on the SMAC/CRB ever on this site float the idea of dropping the 99 engine in the NA chassis.

This stuff is all said with a :bigsquaregrin:    

You had recently finished your car and had bought all new subframes for the 1.6 from Mazda and were not happy about it and opposed it( yes letter sent) with the same comments as above. It was NOT proposed as a competition adjustment. Never an answer for the TQ, never proposed as one.  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

You had recently finished your car and had bought all new subframes for the 1.6 from Mazda and were not happy about it and opposed it with the same comments as above. It was NOT proposed as a competition adjustment. Never an answer for the TQ, never proposed as one.  

You would be correct about the sub-frames, that I had just spent $7-$800.00 on them. And control arms and, and, and for an NA chassis.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

TOP TEN THINGS NB OWNERS SAY TO NA OWNERS

10. Spec Miata is not a spec class

9. All racing is "wallet racing" and there's no such thing as a "low cost" class

8. People cheated a lot more in the "old days"

7. You can always run SSM or ITA or SRF

6. Sealed drivetrains won't work

5. Parity is track dependent

4. There are plenty of competitive 1.6s on the west coast

3. There are no "top build" 1.6 cars

2. You can always find a race in the back of the pack

And the number one thing NB owners say to NA owners:

If you're not willing to strip your car to the tub and replace the frames, suspension, brakes, steering, the entire drivetrain and the wiring harness to theoretically be competitive, well then, you have no room to complain.

• Jason J Ball and Steve Scheifler like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:60

Second NA run over ten + years

Current car is a 1990 1.6

Steward motor w / plunge cut head

Exhaust manifold / down pipe picked from dozens flow tested

Fat Cat bump stops

Adjustable pressure regulator

75 lbs ballast

Chin spoiler

Freshened suspension

Hundreds spent on dyno tuning

More hundreds spent corner balkancing and set up

Countless hours spend accumulating data to enhance performance

Bottom line: Everything legal has been done and 99's still jerk my bones exiting corners.

Maybe the answer is to let NA's run the plunge cut heads and take no weight penalty.

Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year