• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

James, I'm attempting to get off my A$$ and do something about the 1.6. I would have hopped more 1.6er's would have shown interest, same ol same ol. bitch and moan and sit on the side lines. Get something going for you spec line of choice. :bigsquaregrin:

no thanks Bench. If a seasoned mechanical pro like you has trouble getting your views considered, an average mechanic like myself has no chance. I drive for myself, not to beat anyone. Just saying that if you think your car is ignored, try owning a 97.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

no thanks Bench. If a seasoned mechanical pro like you has trouble getting your views considered, an average mechanic like myself has no chance. I drive for myself, not to beat anyone. Just saying that if you think your car is ignored, try owning a 97.

James, I understand what your saying and I do the same to improve my lap times.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Irony alert: it's my understanding that there are now two (or possibly three) NA1.8s on the SMAC now - myself included.

Anyway, I'd suggest sending PMs to the respective SMAC members if you would like to operate somewhat in private but there may need to be a slight modification within the "Messages" portion of our profiles to support receiving them.

More to come...

• Johnny D likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

If I drive a '92 to work, does it count? :)

Mark Bennett #321631

1.6 from 2002-2007

'99 from 2008-2010

I know making the 1.6 an "overdog" will be bad for the class, but I support making it more "raceable" for cheapest possible $$$, and letting weight and RP rule forevermore!

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

1.6 Montana

1.6 Montana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Southwest Montana
  • Car Number:09
Just my 2,

I think 1.6ers will pony up the $$$$ more than most think.

If there is a viable solution that make sense and does not slow everyone else down just so we can catch up.... and give us some torque/HP then people will pay.

Just sayin....

ATD Montana
  • Jason J Ball likes this

1.6 Montana

1.6 Montana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
And I did write my letter........

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

And I did write my letter........

With a proposed solution?  May I ask what idea you came up with to help the 1.6?, I am very curious what you figured out.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

1.6 Montana

1.6 Montana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
I must apologize I'm a bit of a hack on the technical side of things.

I basically said that there is something fundamentally wrong with the idea that at present no logical 1.6er is going to say to himself " ya know....if I really apply myself and work hard, practice, and develop my car and myself, I have a chance to make it to the big dance one day and maybe.... Just maybe........ win...."

I suggested aluminum flywheel and possible weight reduction.

I know these have been shot down multiple times from every angle, but I wanted to get my foot in the door and open up the discussion.

There seems to be some brilliant folks on this blog and I humblly submit to their mechanical and technical prowess.

jguthrie

jguthrie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:great lakes/central
  • Car Number:21

John Guthrie owner / driver 1.6

SCCA 3338557

NASA # 117381

I endorse any mods that would help 1.6 compete with 99 / V V T. car . I agree

most 1.6ers would pony up the $ for improvements . 1.6 is a fun car to race.

I don't buy the argument that sense there are 1.6 guys that would not spend

the $ you hold back the guys that want to be competitive . It would be a hell of a

lot cheaper than scraping the car and building a new one . My 2 cents

I

• Bench Racer likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

It's good to see some new folks posting here (and I'm not picking on Mr. Guthrie specifically now), but there was a suggestion 3-4 years ago about getting the 99+ front subframe permitted on the NAs and you would have thought someone was pilfering dollars from people's wallets!

The uproar consisted of "Why should have to spend money to compete vs. the 99s?  Why can't we slow THEM down?!" only to have the rule suggestion drop before the 3-year rule freeze went into effect.

And we're talking something like $400-500 worth of new parts + install/setup/alignment that drew such responses...

So again, it's good to see folks who own 1.6s giving some support behind spending some money to bring their cars up to par.

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

It's good to see some new folks posting here (and I'm not picking on Mr. Guthrie specifically now), but there was a suggestion 3-4 years ago about getting the 99+ front subframe permitted on the NAs and you would have thought someone was pilfering dollars from people's wallets!

The uproar consisted of "Why should have to spend money to compete vs. the 99s?  Why can't we slow THEM down?!" only to have the rule suggestion drop before the 3-year rule freeze went into effect.
And we're talking something like $400-500 worth of new parts + install/setup/alignment that drew such responses...

So again, it's good to see folks who own 1.6s giving some support behind spending some money to bring their cars up to par.

Guthrie isn't new he just likes to lurk in the back at wait until the end to pounce ! :)

I'm sorry Brandon but I'm against any suspension parts and it not because I don't want to spend money, I just don't want to spend my money on something that I feel that has no value to add to my car. I have no problem with corner speed and car control and can go through a corner the same or better then some 99. The problem I have is if any of those cars slow me down in a corner I'm screwed there gone.

Now if they came up with a rule that would give us some TQ were the 1.6 needs it I would gladly pay $1,000 to $4,000 to get it.
  • Alberto and Jason J Ball like this
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Butch,

My thought from "the beginning" (once the NA1.8 was permitted the 4.3 differential), is the permitting of the use of the 99+ subframe would finally make the entire platform, minus aero, identical across all model years.  Whether any particular driver would perceive it as a needed update or not, it would have been a case of using "may install" as opposed to "must install".

As far as getting torque 'down low' and not power 'up top' - those are two diametrically opposed goals in terms of the 1.6L engine performance unfortunately (as I understand their dynamics).

Here's the $64k question: if you're allocating that range of budget, would you be against installing a 1.8L in your NA?  

BOOM!  Instant torque down low.

:hugegrin:

• tom1977 likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Personal details only, at this time please leave all the discussion to the other threads.

Breaking with this thought ^. We all don't drink the same cool-aid. How about the SMAC/CRB allow the 1.6er's to implement a 99 engine in the NA chassis. I have never been able to figure out how the 99 suspension parts implemented in a NA chasis would fill the 1.6 torque short fall. Don't anyone go thru the corner speed deal, please.

EDIT:

Trust me, I'm as slow typing as I am driving.  I didn't follow your engine swap thought in your previous post. Been saying do the swap for some time.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Don't say BOOM when you are talking about SM engines.

wheel

• Alberto and B(Kuch)Kucera45 like this

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

Butch,
My thought from "the beginning" (once the NA1.8 was permitted the 4.3 differential), is the permitting of the use of the 99+ subframe would finally make the entire platform, minus aero, identical across all model years. Whether any particular driver would perceive it as a needed update or not, it would have been a case of using "may install" as opposed to "must install".

As far as getting torque 'down low' and not power 'up top' - those are two diametrically opposed goals in terms of the 1.6L engine performance unfortunately (as I understand their dynamics).

Here's the $64k question: if you're allocating that range of budget, would you be against installing a 1.8L in your NA?
BOOM! Instant torque down low.

:hugegrin:

Ok now see where you were going with the subframe.

As for allowing the 1.6 to drop in a 1.8 or 99 motor in I think the price would be crazy. Just a rough estimate build a new motor 6-7k new air box,wire harness,ECM,exhaust,ect... Now your talking 9-10k witch I think would be crazy for us to have to spend that kind of money. I would just sell my car for 7-8k ( huge loss ) and spend the 10k and my 7-8k on a 99 build.

Not trying to argue just thinking out loud ! :)
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

*cue the snark*

But SM is supposed to be a low-cost, entry level class where you can drop in a junkyard motor and go racing!!!

:tipsy:

Here's my perspective:

Whether you're building a 1.6/1.8 or a 99+, the costs are going to be pretty-much equitable regardless of the engine.  It doesn't matter which engine you're spending money on, you're still spending money so why not apply it to a more-favorable outcome in the long run and one where there's less variability between the possibilities?

The key thing being, in terms of parity (I know, I know, I know...), attempting to balance across four engines and two models is what leads us down these paths of debate.  Eliminating as many of the differences between the platforms (the last two as I understand them being front subframe & aero) combined with consolidation of the powerplants, you've got a good base to being further tweaked in the future.  Get everyone on a 1.8L engine and then you can refine further (give the 94-97 the extra 100+RPM they've been missing, open up the plates, lower the weights, blah, blah, blah...)

If there are folks willing to spend money on 'more parity' for the 1.6L, what's wrong in moving forward with what's been done since the first '94 model was rear-ended?

• tom1977 likes this

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

We balked at the cost and lack of used parts at the time (4 years ago?).  Plus it really doesn't seem to address the issue.  The subframe isn't going to help the 1.6 climb the hills at Laguna or get out of low RPM corners as quick as the 1.8 cars (esp those with 99+ engines).  It would be an interesting conceptual exercise to have them all on the same suspension but there is no data on whether it is actually beneficial.

The rear subframe is a little over $560 new.  The rear lower arms are $140 ish, the rear uppers are $130 ish.  The front subframe is $370 - 400 ish.  Front upper arms are a little over $100 and lowers are ~$180.  On top of that you need a new steering rack as the NA rack doesn't work on the NB subframe.  That's well north of $2,000 right there.

Do you have any data about how much that would help the 1.6 cars and 1.8 NA cars?  How much extra speed would we supposedly carry through corners with the NB suspension?  What are the lap time deltas?

There was no data presented to provide substance to the expenditure from the rule change.  Those selling the parts would benefit the most from my perspective.  

On the other hand, we know the 1.6 differs substantially compared to the 1.8s on the torque curve.  Plenty of evidence to that.

I'd be willing to do a 1.8 swap if I could find inexpensive donor engines.  They go in rather easily.  Don't have the budget to do it this year as I just spent a couple of grand rebuilding my 1.6 so a phased approach would be recommended.  

Irregardless of this, I'm not interested in National$ racing at this time.  Don't have the time and prefer to put the money in the bank.  I'll stick to racing Sealed SM in my region.  This is the best incarnation of  this quote:

SM is supposed to be a low-cost, entry level class where you can drop in a junkyard motor and go racing!!!

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

We balked at the cost and lack of used parts at the time (4 years ago?).  Plus it really doesn't seem to address the issue.  The subframe isn't going to help the 1.6 climb the hills at Laguna or get out of low RPM corners as quick as the 1.8 cars (esp those with 99+ engines).  It would be an interesting conceptual exercise to have them all on the same suspension but there is no data on whether it is actually beneficial.

The rear subframe is a little over $560 new.  The rear lower arms are $140 ish, the rear uppers are $130 ish.  The front subframe is $370 - 400 ish.  Front upper arms are a little over $100 and lowers are ~$180.  On top of that you need a new steering rack as the NA rack doesn't work on the NB subframe.  That's well north of $2,000 right there.

Do you have any data about how much that would help the 1.6 cars and 1.8 NA cars?  How much extra speed would we supposedly carry through corners with the NB suspension?  What are the lap time deltas?

It was proposed as being "allowed" not required.  Yet the community of 1.6 driver shot it down  No one was being forced to spend any money and if the value is not there, no need to implement.  I never understood the blowback about the idea but whatever....

• Cnj likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA