Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

1.6 might be good in time trials but we are talking racing here, no?

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Equally odd because Mazda/LS is a "one-six track"

And you got this info where?

Wasn't that being said before the 2014 Runoff - that the one-sixes would be a factor - that MLS was a "good" track for them? I know I read that on this site, pretty sure more than one person theorized that.

Imagine my surprise when I didn't see a whole herd of one-sixes at the front of the field.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Wasn't that being said before the 2014 Runoff - that the one-sixes would be a factor - that MLS was a "good" track for them? I know I read that on this site, pretty sure more than one person theorized that.

Imagine my surprise when I didn't see a whole herd of one-sixes at the front of the field.

We  agree, not that anyone gives a $hit, but someone I know very well predicted come 2014 runoffs time the 99 plus cars would take over at the Runoffs. >  :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

And you got this info where?

Jim's comment is strictly a STL built car...I don't think this is SM related at all.

Jims comments were actually related.. not saying I can't be wrong though :)

Pre runoffs.. I never thought 1.6 would be a good option for Laguna... Post Runoffs, I am not so sure someone didn't miss a really good opportunity.  You know what they say about "opinions"  everyone has one and I can be wrong like everyone else, but post Laguna, I don't think so.  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Ok...I will back up a little. The 1.6 has won at Laguna much more than it has lost in the last 4 years. Main reason is the best drivers and most of the top drivers have been in them. Until this year, locally the 99 was only driven by a few and the early NA cars had no drivers in them(1 exception). Then Brian G came back out last year with his 99 and opened the eyes of some of the best West coast drivers.

As Bruce said...alone, the 1.6 is right there with a light load of gas and before it gets heat soaked(in some cases). But in race conditions(speaking Laguna here)it is not the car to race from behind. And in front, it's only a matter of time for a similar prepped 1.8 car and driver to walk by up the hill. Once behind, the 1.6 car will not get back by(again I'm assuming equal drivers and prep with no mistakes)and will loose a little each lap between 5-8.

I think what you may be remembering David and Denny is that the 1.6 car has dominated the West coast for years...no reason for anyone to change because they were winning! Suddenly those drivers got beat(again, Laguna)and it became obvious why. Regionally it didn't matter but suddenly the big show was coming and like RA...most realized what weapon to bring. If the 1.6 was the weapon to have, Drennan, Hayes, Jordan, Sutherland,Schrader, and many others would have come in them.

I don't know the STL rules but if there is a huge weight difference between a fully prepped 1.6 and a 1.8 then I get What you are saying.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I don't know the STL rules but if there is a huge weight difference between a fully prepped 1.6 and a 1.8 then I get What you are saying.

about 355 lbs :) but we get about 10-15 more hp:(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

So there IS parity in SM. (as long as we are comparing a '99 to a '99)

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

about 355 lbs :) but we get about 10-15 more hp:(

Yikes...3 teenagers!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Yikes...3 teenagers!

No way three left coast beach teenagers come in at 355 total. Midwest, you bet they do.

Ron, my point/prediction a year before the 2014 Runoffs was, they'll (the pointy end 1.6er's) learn in a hurry once a pointy end 99 shows up. My comments are nothing more or nothing less.

• Ron Alan likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1.6 Montana

1.6 Montana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Southwest Montana
  • Car Number:09
"Just to note, if you would like to have the rules changed for any one year of car, I.e 1.6 cold air intake. Please get your ducks in a row. Get member suport and documentation and testing to support your request. Do not expect the SMAC to do your research and testing for your request. An example would be just don't write a letter saying the 1.6 should get a header and that's it. Name the brand or brands of header and include data from a relibale source validating your request. Then campaign with your fellow competitors to support your request. Again rember that we will not be able to make rule changes till 2016. But now is a great time to get started.

Contrary to popular belief the SMAC does want parity with all years. We belive that you should be able to win with what every flavor you chose to race. No BS."

This tells me we should try and agree on a path??

As hard as it was for the STR debate.... I know it won't be easy but we gotta start somewhere.

Is it a bolt on piece or is it a mod??

Just a question to get folks who are smarter than I to weigh in!!

1.6er

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
The 1.6 and 1.8 gang has been bitching for years. But that is all that has happened. if you want change you are going to have to do your homework. Asking for adjustment without validation is not going to cut it. Ball is in your court.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Number:78

Was there an organized lobby (with testing) asking for those offset front end bushings? I think they are a great idea, but it sure didn't seem to me that there was the sort of organized effort associated with that change that you are say has to be behind any future parity adjustment.

Just sayin' :) . I'm not even a SCCA member!

• ECOBRAP likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Was there an organized lobby (with testing) asking for those offset front end bushings? I think they are a great idea, but it sure didn't seem to me that there was the sort of organized effort associated with that change that you are say has to be behind any future parity adjustment.

Just sayin' :) . I'm not even a SCCA member!

No.  But somebody wrote in with the idea and it impacts all cars equally.  Not even the same orange as an adjustment to make the car parity different.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA