ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

Have you checked cam timing?

When I hold the rpm's at 3k the car still stutters, which I don't believe could be caused by cam timing?

If as stated all the exaust manifold tubes are the same temp then the spark plug may be an oily red herring with respect to the main issue, but still needs to be resolved. Also, I don't recall it sounding like it was running on 3 cylinders which is quite distinctive and would be obvious when you drive it.

When I say same temp, not exactly the same but no obvious temperature differences. And yes, the car felt fine under power tonight up in the mountains which tells me the cylinder is still firing.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
OK, so an injector sticking open or leaking badly fits. Had one like that on the dyno a few weeks ago. You really should avoid running it that way because it can wash down the cylinders which Is hard on the rings.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
Make sure when you pull the fuel rail up you don't lose any rubber o rings. When you put it back together just spray a little silicon on the o rings this will help them slide right in without slicing any of the o rings.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

If an injector got dropped that could do it.  I know those injectors were cleaned and balanced about a year and half ago.  

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Matt, 

I know #4 looks like the obvious path at the moment.

Did you verify crank timing mark was at TDC?    And did you pull the valve cover and verify timing belt was applied properly?  Given you are waiting for an injector these are easy things to cross off the possible list. 

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mjw

mjw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest

It is hard to tell from the video but are the spark plug wires for cylinders 3 and 4 swapped on the coils?

http://www.miata.net...ges/TBELT11.JPG

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Wow. Good eye. But would it really drive as well as he says it does with them reversed? That seemed to rule out a lot of things, but I haven't actually tried running one like that.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

mjw

mjw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It runs much better than you would think, I did it on a 1.8 and it would idle very similar to this and once the rpm gets higher up it smooths out.  I spent several days working on it until I realized my mistake.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I didnt think it mattered the order as long as 2 wires are on the correct coil? Doesnt  the coil fire on compression and exhaust stroke?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Plug wires are in the correct orientation.

Replaced #4 injector, no cigar FML  :raincloud:

Taking it for a quick drive and I will check the spark plugs again and see if there is any difference. If not it may be a spark problem.

I will check timing today as well. Running out of options here so AFM, CAS, and ECU are pretty much the only variables left.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07
I'd have a hard time believing it is anything that wasn't changed with the new engine. Have you talked to the engine builder for his thoughts?

mjw

mjw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I didnt think it mattered the order as long as 2 wires are on the correct coil? Doesnt  the coil fire on compression and exhaust stroke?

Yes, 1 and 4 have to be on one coil and 2 and 3 on the other.  But if you put 1 and 3 on one, then 2 and 4 on the other, it still runs but idles poorly and then smooths out at higher rpm.

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Went for a drive, #4 plug is still black. Not sure how long it would take to clean, but it was a 45 minute "spirited drive". Swapping plugs and going for another drive to see if that plug starts getting black too.

Considering the issue only seems to be on one cylinder, I think that eliminates the AFM CAS and ECU as the problem. Has to be some spark, fuel, or air problem on that cylinder.

-Ecobrap

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Coil???  Plug wires???  Crap where plug wires fit in coils???

Disconnect the throttle position sensor when cold and when hot for difference while at idle. IIRC same switch plug wire disconnect as the AFM.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

I have swapped coils, plug wires, and plugs, no difference.

Just checked engine timing. At TDC, the #1 cam lobes are pointed to the outside of the car (9 oclock and 3 oclock). The teeth on the cam gears line up with the markings on the backing plate, but it is weird that "I" matches to "E" and vice versa. On all videos and pictures I found online, it seemed that the "I" on the cam gear should point to the "I" on the backing plate instead. I am assuming the builder just put the cam gears on wrong, but this makes no difference in cam timing so I can check that off the list.

I am pretty fed up at this point. I have spent two full weekends trying to diagnose this, which has taught me a lot, but my first race is in two weeks and I just want the thing running correctly. I will likely have to hit the dyno with this problem and just see what happens. I still have not taken this new motor above 5500rpm, so it is hard to tell if it is good on power.

-Ecobrap

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I'm not sure you can completely rule out the ECU even if it is always #4. It probably isn't the issue, but I'd still prove it. Mechanically these are very simple machines with a limited number of things that can cause your symptoms, but the electronics that control timing and fuel are complex and critical.

I've lost track, did you check compression? On the mechanical side thinking a sticky valve is a possibility.

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Yes, compression was normal and even across the board. I may be able to steal a friend's ECU and AFM this week to try those.

-Ecobrap

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Always go back to the basics. In high school auto shop we learned you need 3 things (air,fuel, ignition) to make any engine run properly. And they need to be at the right time and with compression.

You state the  compression is normal. What number is normal? You never mention doing a leakdown test, nor its results.

You most economical option (when factoring in time, and frustration, as well as money) may be to take it to a professional. The tuition at "the school of hard knocks" can be very expensive.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I would also add you seem too have ruled out the cas??? It is the only part that tells the computer the engine is spinning. It is the only communication too the ecu and sends signals for timing and FUEL .Also the very first thing too check on any na Miata
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Always go back to the basics. In high school auto shop we learned you need 3 things (air,fuel, ignition) to make any engine run properly. And they need to be at the right time and with compression.

You state the  compression is normal. What number is normal? You never mention doing a leakdown test, nor its results.

You most economical option (when factoring in time, and frustration, as well as money) may be to take it to a professional. The tuition at "the school of hard knocks" can be very expensive.

Dave

Yep, should be able to get my hands on a friend's ECU + AFM + CAS tonight. I will try those, and if those don't work I will be dropping the car off to the engine builder who said he'd help me figure this out.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and help. Autoshop class doesn't exist anymore, so for a young gun like myself this diagnostic hunt taught me a hell of a lot and I am now much more comfortable working around the engine bay.

I will post what the problem is as soon as I find out.

Best,

Matt

-Ecobrap

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Motor, Rough Idle, Break In

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users