ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

Hi all,

Been having this issue for a while now, used to happen every once in a while but now happens all the time, looking for some help.

Symptom:

Driving along, come to a stop, put the car in neutral or clutch in. Rpms drop more than they should, to about 300rpm, car tries to correct itself and gets back up to 1400rpm, then back to 300rpm etc, and sometimes (like in the video) will eventually stall on its own.

I can stop it from doing this by caressing the throttle pedal a few times, and eventually I will be able to let off the gas and the car idles normally at 850rpm.

In the video, you will see the car idling normally at 850rpm, I tug on the throttle cable a bit then let go, and the weird idle starts, and the car stalls 20 seconds later. I could have stabilized the idle by caressing the throttle cable or gas pedal a few times, but didn't in the video.

Diagnostic suggestions? TPS? AFM? Idle Valve? Throttle Stop? Throttle Body? Vacuum Leak?

Best,

Matt

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Could be vacuum leak somewhere.  Get some water and spray it on some of the lines around the throttle body and see if they bubble at all.

Could be bad AFM too.  Might swap a good known one.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Matt, first things first. If your racing SCCA your not gaining all the power you could without ambient air intake and wrapping the snorkel between the AFM and the throttle body. SCCA rules legal.

Is your idle issue occurring with engine cold or hot or both?

http://www.miata.net/garage/isc.html

"However, when the DC (Diagnostic Connector) TEN & GND contacts are shorted together for Self Diagnosis and troubleshooting the ECU control loop is opened.  With the control loop open, the ECU ignores inputs from Ignition rpm, Temperature and Throttle Position sensors and sends a fixed signal to the ISCV.  This should produce a stable idle value for troubleshooting & fault isolation."

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Before getting too crazy with theory and diagnostic crap. Go back to basics. Start by removing the rice rocket red vacuum lines. They are notorius to have leaks at the connections. Put standard black hose of the correct size on the car and you may fix it. Second, remove your tweeked AFM and install a NON-MODIFIED unit. Unless the AFM is properly modified it can cause these types of problems. Then go after the idle speed setting, you have 2. The base idle is the tiny screw with jam nut on the throttle body. That should be set at about 800 rpm with the bleed screw closed. Then adjust the bleed screw to 950rpm. The engine must be fully warm to properly set these.

My guess would be the AFM. I stopped adjusting AFM years ago and do all my power adjustments from the fuel pressure regulator. This allows the car to run properly at idle and cold start.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Could be vacuum leak somewhere.  Get some water and spray it on some of the lines around the throttle body and see if they bubble at all.

Could be bad AFM too.  Might swap a good known one.

"VACUUM" leaks won't bubble...

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

1. Used carb cleaner and no vacuum leaks despite the much hated rice rocket lines lol, new lines on order just to be safe.

2. Bench, new motor just went in, more important to have it working right before I spend time wrapping the tubing. I believe at the end of last year I may have had this issue on track, with the car almost stalling while diving into heavy braking zones, almost making me lose the back end of the car. This leads me to suspect butterfly valve is closing more than it should. But don't worry I have my tape ready to go and will only take an hour to do it right.

Update: I believe the throttle stop screw has disappeared? There is an adjustable bolt that stops on the valve, but the threaded hole in picture below has nothing in it? If I had to guess the bolt that IS in the picture is just the first line of defense for snapping off throttle, then after it has dampened/slowed down the released throttle, then the missing screw sets the resting point for the butterfly valve and idle? Surprised that it is missing altogether, probably why I didn't catch it the first time around? Can someone confirm that there is supposed to be a second bolt/screw in that hole?

Best,

Matt

2rhsbw5.jpg

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Yes, there should be a female Allen head set screw inserted from the front side with a locking nut. On the back side the U shaped throttle shaft bracket stops against set screw. After install and adjust the accelerator cable should be slightly slack. Get this correct and adjust idle speed per FSM.

When you get to removing the left headlight stuff and wrapping the snorkel tube I'd suggest using the stuff like below from Pegasus or similar with woven silica and a aluminized outer layer. Check your local race shops. For my 2 cents, the smooth aluminum tape will not do the required job.

https://www.pegasusa...m/2016/109.pdf    < Crap, that didn't work, go to Pegasus Racing catalog on line to page 109.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Thanks I'll put one in tonight and see if it corrects all of the symptoms, would seem to explain all of them so fingers crossed.

Yes I understand that tube deals with convective and radiant temps so I got the good stuff.

Best,

Matt

-Ecobrap

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rough Idle, Idle Droop, Idle Dip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users