chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
If nothing else I have seen it many times where the connections at the ecu corrode. It's possible just in plugging it and plugging it back in will clean the pins and solve your problem. It is also kind common on 1.6 cars because of the location of the ecu
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

He has done that repeatedly.  Ideally leakdown would have been done earlier but you have to access to one or buy one.  Good ones are expensive.  

Hopefully the engine builder will sort it out.  Hopefully something obvious, as it is most of the time.

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Yep just read thru tread. Good luck
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Doing ECU and AFM as we speak, could not locate a CAS for tonight.

Later tonight I may be getting a leakdown done at a shop, as well as testing injector signals.

After that it is going to the builder, I am sure it is something obvious as well, preparing to smash my head against a wall when I find out what it is...

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Here are my reactions after being told what the problems were. Also realizing that Dave at Rebello figured out in half a day what I couldn't figure out in two full weekends LOL

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Turned out to be a dysfunctional PCV Valve and missing Fuel Injector Insulator. Thanks to Rebello for figuring that out. I am assuming the problem existed on the old motor but I never noticed it with the high idle caused by the gunked up idle control valve. As for now I am excited to get the car back tonight and prep it for the first race of the season next weekend!

773.gif

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:13

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

To make  you feel better, I built a turbo system for my old Mustang race car and took it to a tuner for them to get it up and running. Well the car just wouldn't stay running and the MAF values were all over the place. Well after a week of troubleshooting, and $1000 later that included replacing the fuel pump, injectors, and MAF, a paper towel was found in the intercooler. I had stuffed paper towels in all the open pipes when I was doing fabrication to keep metal bits out of the intake. I got all but one out before getting it to the tuner. I still have that paper towel hanging up in the shop with the $1000 invoice stapled to it.

• ECOBRAP likes this

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07
Congrats!
  • ECOBRAP likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Yea, glad you got it sorted. Surprised that injector wasn't conspicuously loose and leaky.

Diller, classic!!
  • ECOBRAP likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Motor, Rough Idle, Break In

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users