ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

You do realize Matt that you have started every race of your short career bumper to bumper? Until now you have never said anything correct? My guess is Cal Speedway(and a few others in the country) are unique and call for a little mod from what is traditional.

Bottom line is there are missed shifts in most every race. At some point all will either be that guy, be screwed by that guy, or take advantage of that guy! Every race people complain about the guys who leave to big a gap to try and game the start or are just clueless. You are not going to be happy if that guy in front of you forces you to start in the 4th row when you were supposed to be in the 3rd!

SCCA has changed/clarified the start rules(at least in SFR) with specifics. They had a meeting with all drivers at our last regional to make sure all understood. I think the jest of it was do not leave big gaps or be out of line!

No system is perfect but what has always worked will continue to work. And at those tracks were drafting can cause a lot of cars in one spot at a start the racers have figured out what works best...and continue to do it despite the rules.

No I have not argued it before, because like everyone else I am caught up in how much fun it is. After what happened at ACS, I am not the type of person that says "those were unusual circumstances, it won't happen again". Lightning does strike twice, and when it does, it hits harder than it did the first time. What happened there could very much happen anywhere else... imagine if that happened at Sonoma? Literally nowhere to go and we would have 20 cars plow into each other because no one can see anything and as a result no one lifts.

Like I said, I am not dead set on any changes, but just figured it should be discussed.

In my opinion SM has had way too much contact recently, myself included, and I hope we don't start viewing it as a part of the class, and instead find ways to mitigate it. There is nothing better than Spec Miata racing with good clean battles and everyone coming home with themselves and their cars in one piece.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I'm happy with the status quo.  If we were really worried about making the starts safer for the cars, we'd have single file starts and let the pole car start the race.  Don't think I want single file though. 

• Ron Alan, powerss and Bad Rusty like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Sorry Matt...couldn't disagree with you more. SCCA and NASA have been essentially starting the same way in all groups for a long time. As I said before nothing is perfect...but you can't change things to account for the unexpected. I've seen dozens of missed shifts and the parting of the seas. Probably 50% of the time contact occurs...10% of the time it is significant. That is the start...then we have the first corner and the bonehead shit that can happen there...you see where I'm going.

SM has had no more contact recently than anytime before....always contact somewhere in the field! Comes and goes whether you are around it or not.
  • Jim Drago and Bad Rusty like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Like I said I'm not too bothered about it... or maybe my new paint job is getting to my head?  :bigsquaregrin:

Either way I'll keep my lightning analogy to myself and let others learn it on their own :)

• Ron Alan likes this

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Sorry Matt...couldn't disagree with you more. SCCA and NASA have been essentially starting the same way in all groups for a long time. As I said before nothing is perfect...but you can't change things to account for the unexpected. I've seen dozens of missed shifts and the parting of the seas. Probably 50% of the time contact occurs...10% of the time it is significant. That is the start...then we have the first corner and the bonehead shit that can happen there...you see where I'm going.

SM has had no more contact recently than anytime before....always contact somewhere in the field! Comes and goes whether you are around it or not.

I have no dog in this hunt, and maybe its an out west thing, but I think accepting the 1/2 the time you are going to have contact and 1 out of 10 starts a car is going to be written off, I find that very low expectations of the drivers.

I would think "improvement" would always be a good thing.

• Jim Drago likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I have no dog in this hunt, and maybe its an out west thing, but I think accepting the 1/2 the time you are going to have contact and 1 out of 10 starts a car is going to be written off, I find that very low expectations of the drivers.

I dunno, in a 50 car race those numbers sound reasonable.  He said significant, not written off.  Ron might be saying one car of of 50 has a corner destroyed 10% of the time, not a loss of a whole car.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

My interpretation of what Ron said was that when someone misses a shift those percentages start to happen. Not that those percentages happen every race and for whatever reasons. But I am crazy and misunderstand people all the time.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

• Jamz14 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I'm sure out of all people, James could put a few words together for the teens to be safe, etc, etc. :prayer:  :crying2: :frustrated:  :soapbox:

J~

:) Of Course! But with a couple of exceptions, few TMC drivers post and put forth their opinions here (and that is a good thing, especially with that very subject addressed in the CCRs). Most if not all just want to follow whatever rules and directions that NASA sets for them and go race. So with knowing that only a small fraction of the west coast TMC drivers will see this, here goes:

1. All of the TMC drivers did a good job at ACS dealing with a very hectic race weekend. Keep up the good work.

2. Look to your parents and the great people at NASA for guidance this season should you have concerns. These people have your best interest in mind, but don't expect them to never make a mistake. Just know that those mistakes are made thinking that they are doing the right thing for you whether from a safety aspect, race craft aspect, or a social aspect.

3. Continue to follow the stewards instructions for starts. DO NOT IGNORE THEM. Sidebar: ALL of the TMC drivers I saw on Saturday followed the stewards instructions to the letter (that doesn't mean that mistakes weren't made, just that they did not intentional violate any instruction). It is being said that following to the letter was part of the problem. But with people threatening to protest and DQ for any jumped or throttle up start, what did people expect TMC drivers that are known for following rules to a fault were going to do?

4. All will be back to normal soon. Continue to go with the flow. Let the officials experiment with start procedures. I predict we will be back to the way we have always started, but be open to trying new things. But when trying new things, do so like when you are coming up to speed at a brand new track. Slowly, methodically building speed as you approach the edge.

5. Let NASA and the TMC management work through the season. Instead of getting wrapped up in their process, start concentrating on the next race at Buttonwillow. Review onboard videos, prep your cars, making sure they are setup right for this particular race, your alignments are good, your running gear is free. Have spare hubs ready. You might consider dust caps for your hubs for this weekend.

6. Spend the time you might be spending on getting involved with these procedural issues on thinking about your business plans and videos should you win this thing and are in front of the shootout panel. Don't win the TMC only to drop the ball at the big show. Remember too that people are looking at you now, not just at the shootout. Opinions will begin to form as the people in the background are observing you. They will emerge from the background at the appropriate time. Don't be surprised to discover that they have been following you all season. Dress and act for the title and position you want to have, not the one you currently occupy.

7. Dump the go-kart like bumper to bumper pushing starts. Yes this being a single make class lends itself to some advantages of being bumper to bumper and helping each other in your file move past the other file of cars. However, unlike karting, not all the drivers in regional and national races have that same karting experience as most of the TMC drivers do and are not prepared to do this with you.

8. This is going to be a particular challenging season for you guys. Attrition and consistency will be as important as race wins in my opinion. Demonstrate that you can concentrate on a championship season as well as individual race wins.

9. Be safe with your fellow drivers. ALL FELLOW DRIVERS. Because at the the end of the day, you are not a TMC driver. You are just a driver like any other. What you do now may impact the rest of your career as a DRIVER.

10. Hold to the codes of conduct of NASA and TMC. Do not forget at any time that you are a representative of Mazda, NASA, TMC, Toyo, ETC. And sports car racing in general.

11. Always take the high road no matter how difficult it may be. The low road leaves you vulnerable to finger pointing and attacks. Winning at all cost is the low road. And please trust me on this. The people that will have influence on your dreams and aspirations are able to discern between character and race wins. And have no doubt about which of these two characteristics they will choose if they are forced to choose between them. Instead win with character and don't put them in a position to make that choice.

12. Remember that you are a guest in the regions that you travel to outside your region of record.

And in closing; I have seen only drivers that understand these things already. I am deeply impressed with the level of understanding that all the TMC drivers have of these concepts. I would drive next to everyone of these drivers if only I was able to keep up with them. I am humbled by their class and respect, and honored to know each and every one of them.

• Ron Alan and pmillion like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

My interpretation of what Ron said was that when someone misses a shift those percentages start to happen. Not that those percentages happen every race and for whatever reasons. But I am crazy and misunderstand people all the time.

If you have 50 cars, I figure at least one of them will usually miss a shift on the start.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

If you have 50 cars, I figure at least one of them will usually miss a shift on the start.

Ah, that would be ME Rob...  LOL.

• Rob Burgoon and ECOBRAP like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I haven't seen a 50 car start in socal. I don't think I have seen a 50 car start at MRLS. But I get your point and agree that it may be probable on a 30 car start. Typically we have probably a 7-10 car start in socal with few miss shifts on the start. In my personal opinion we are addressing a problem that is the exception and not the norm.

There was about 4000 HP on the ACS grid. 70,000 pounds of metal and flesh. 210,000 rpms. All within feet of each other, and all controlled by humans. There will be mistakes, there will be bent metal. I pray to the gods that the flesh remains intact.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Oh and I forgot one thing for the TMC drivers. Enjoy this weekend. Watch the Grand Prix and remember what you love about racing!!!

• pmillion and ECOBRAP like this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

I agree with you James...always preaching improvement! Rob and Jamz got what i was trying to say...which accurate or not(significant damage to a car in 1/20 starts when a miss shift occurs)was just trying to illustrate that shit happens but for the most part a traditional start works. And as I've said before, I defer to those who have been at the few tracks in the country where a traditional by the book start is not so good.

And so that my comment in reference to what Matt(topgear) said is not misunderstood...I would love to see every race finish with cars at speed, no contact, and lots of beers and high 5's all the way around! And anything I say to my drivers always focuses on this.  But that Utopia in SM is rare...strictly due to physics, experience and human nature. In fact i would go as far to say every racer at the beginning of the race has the same goal in mind! But when that green flag flies all bets are off...that split second good decision making switch just breaks in some :(

Great clean racing comes and goes...but the goal to have it should never be absent!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Being someone mentioned the green flag deal at the last Farm Majors race, from my (slightly mature/old) memory, that is not the norm at the Farm, Majors, National or Regional.  Dave Wheeler????

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Can we all agree Joe (dad) Jordan knows what he's talking about ?

Can he consult, just his :twocents:, on the starts to James and John?

J~

• john mueller and Joe (dad) Jordan like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

....., there will be bent metal. I pray to the gods that the flesh remains intact........

I will let you guys sort out what works and is best for you, but this statement, to me, appears acceptance of mediocrity.  I am glad in the areas I race, it seems a different standard is the norm.

At any rate, I hope the second sentence holds for everyone in our racing family.

• ECOBRAP likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA