146 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Hey All,

So this ACS weekend was a challenging one for me. Bench, you will be happy to know that this mid pack mechanic destroyed a brand new rebuild. It didn't make but 3 laps on Sat practice before it was gone. It was 100% my fault. Very tired and rushing the build, I missed something that caused me to loose the harmonic balancer and the alternator belt. Without the timing gear being held in place after sheering the woodruff key, the exhaust valves crashed into the pistons.

The weekend was challenging for others too as you all know by now. This was one of the largest fields SOCAL has seen for a regional race with the addition of 15 or so TMC drivers joining us for the race. The sheer volume of cars brought challenges to the drivers.

The weekend also brought a surprise to me. I was offered and I accepted a role with the Teen Mazda Challenge. I will act as the West Coast TMC liaison to NASA. The primary purpose of the role is to interface with NASA as much as possible to provide a positive experience for the TMC drivers, the local regional drivers, and the two West Coast NASA regions. Secondarily I see it as part of my role to ensure that the TMC drivers are able to concentrate on driving and competing by being organized, prepared, and aware of the aspects of the regions and tracks we will be racing at. It is an honor to be involved with the Teen Mazda Challenge and I hope through my actions I earn the respect of NASA, Mazda, the TMC organization, and most importantly to me, the young men and women TMC drivers. I will do my very best not to let you all down.

• Johnny D, True North, Joe (dad) Jordan and 6 others like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Video from Robs car would have been very helpful.  

No kidding.  :( I figured the charge would be good for the weekend, running only 1 class, so didn't charge overnight.  I had it on the charger before the heat and before the main but didn't get enough juice into it for it to take any video.  Frustrating when you want to know how badly you screwed up.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

pmillion

pmillion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Southern CA
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:14

My son in the white P4 car went to the right to miss hitting the red P2 car, who missed a shift

https://www.youtube....h?v=QeAhF9Hxao4

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990

Bench, you will be happy to know that this mid pack mechanic destroyed a brand new rebuild.

James, I busted your balls IIRC about 1 issue versus your minimal experience. Nuff said. I'm never happy when issues come forth and people or equipment are impacted. Any of us that do our own build, prep and whatever else are bound to have something go south sooner or later.

The TMC deal sounds like it'll allow you to be totally involved with young racer minds. Enjoy and Have Fun.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

My son in the white P4 car went to the right to miss hitting the red P2 car, who missed a shift

https://www.youtube....h?v=QeAhF9Hxao4

Did your attorney suggest you only provide 17 secs ?
J~

• ECOBRAP likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

pmillion

pmillion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Southern CA

Too funny, the rest was all under a double yellow to the checker was not worth showing :)

• Joe (dad) Jordan likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Your right.
https://www.youtube....h?v=rSjK2Oqrgic

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

James, I busted your balls IIRC about 1 issue versus your minimal experience. Nuff said. I'm never happy when issues come forth and people or equipment are impacted. Any of us that do our own build, prep and whatever else are bound to have something go south sooner or later.

The TMC deal sounds like it'll allow you to be totally involved with young racer minds. Enjoy and Have Fun.

Thank you Bench. Then you don't mind me busting yours a bit right? :P . I shouldn't have even made that comment about you being happy. It was petty and immature.

I have had more than my fair share of gear going south. I am learning how to be a decent mechanic. I am learning the way an older guy might appreciate. By doing it myself. I can buy an engine, I can buy a gearbox. I can't buy experience. In this I hope we are kindred spirits.

As to being involved with young minds, I am just too tired to decode innuendo right now. Maybe another day when I have some Zoom Zoom back in me. On second thought...........................peace.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990

:peace1:

• Jamz14 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I haven't seen this many digital malfunctions since Hillary's email crashed.
  • Jim Drago, Rob Burgoon, Bad Rusty and 1 other like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Here is my video from the Sunday qualifying race. Saturday race will be uploaded next but I was struggling with my AIM all weekend so no data for that one, and I had to take the speedo off this race because it was spazzing out and showing 140mph at some points LOL. When it wasn't freaking out it looks like I got up to 115mph without the draft, 120mph with the draft.

Ran into terrible luck with drafting all weekend, always managed to get stuck right in the middle of two packs, and my brain wouldn't allow me to back off 70 yards to let the pack behind me catch up (see 4:45 for reference, and how immense the draft is at this track, watch the rear view). Also unusual situations like being on Burgoon's bumper and he flys off on the last corner so I'm left without a drafting buddy (I think that one is in the Saturday race lol).

But here's the qual race, 4th to 10th to 5th!

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

So even though NASA gave me a pass on this one, with the benefit of hindsight and time to think about it, I think that smashing the bumper of the car starting 2nd would have been the better option for me.  Getting out of the way didn't go cleanly and even though Matt didn't spin from the dimple I added to his bumper, that move didn't help de-escalate things.

Delivering a hard shot to the car that missed a shift didn't seem like a great option either since the closure rate seemed to be well over the "safe bumpdraft speed", could bust a transmission, radiator or diff, or cause a car to squirt out of the accordion.  Even with all that, better that than catching a car by the corner in front of that many cars.

So anyway, while I'm relieved that it doesn't look like I caused it all, I apologize for not picking what I think now was the less crappy option.

Thanks to those that shared video with me to help me improve.

• True North, Mark, Ron Alan and 1 other like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

That's a veteran comment

• True North and Ron Alan like this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

How about instead of Rob being in a situation like that, where he either runs into the car in front, to his side, or gets hit from behind, we SPACE the starts. We qualify for a reason. Although pushing bumpers at the start is fun, all it takes is one missed shift or slight incident and noone has room or time to react. Not only that, it gives everyone the mindset that the race can be won in the first corner. I would be happy to sacrifice a little bit of fun for reassurance the race won't end in 30 seconds.

I have stated this three or four times in this thread, but haven't gotten anyone elses opinion on it, but would like to hear them!

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

How about instead of Rob being in a situation like that, where he either runs into the car in front, to his side, or gets hit from behind, we SPACE the starts. We qualify for a reason. Although pushing bumpers at the start is fun, all it takes is one missed shift or slight incident and noone has room or time to react. Not only that, it gives everyone the mindset that the race can be won in the first corner. I would be happy to sacrifice a little bit of fun for reassurance the race won't end in 30 seconds.

I have stated this three or four times in this thread, but haven't gotten anyone elses opinion on it, but would like to hear them!

If we start with car length gaps, it's likely for most of those gaps to collapse by the end of the straight.  I'm not sure it buys us a whole lot.  I think a 3rd gear start is a better bet.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Matt,

1st, the SCCA guys back east are doing it correctly but not to rules, told by the stewards not too and ignoring them, and nothing has changed. Search for Blackhawk thread.

2 You have a brain, are driving the car, can speak with other drivers ahead of you, hint, hint. This is really only at AAA on the west coast.

3 John knows what's going on, this shouldn't happen again, IMO, if anybody's awake.

So I haven't said anything.

Next race carry on as usual.

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

It Rob a Veteran ? 

Well said, don't fall on your sword, everyone makes mistakes.

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'm sure out of all people, James could put a few words together for the teens to be safe, etc, etc. :prayer:  :crying2: :frustrated:  :soapbox: 

J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
You do realize Matt that you have started every race of your short career bumper to bumper? Until now you have never said anything correct? My guess is Cal Speedway(and a few others in the country) are unique and call for a little mod from what is traditional.

Bottom line is there are missed shifts in most every race. At some point all will either be that guy, be screwed by that guy, or take advantage of that guy! Every race people complain about the guys who leave to big a gap to try and game the start or are just clueless. You are not going to be happy if that guy in front of you forces you to start in the 4th row when you were supposed to be in the 3rd!

SCCA has changed/clarified the start rules(at least in SFR) with specifics. They had a meeting with all drivers at our last regional to make sure all understood. I think the jest of it was do not leave big gaps or be out of line!

No system is perfect but what has always worked will continue to work. And at those tracks were drafting can cause a lot of cars in one spot at a start the racers have figured out what works best...and continue to do it despite the rules.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

If we start with car length gaps, it's likely for most of those gaps to collapse by the end of the straight.  I'm not sure it buys us a whole lot.  I think a 3rd gear start is a better bet.

SoCal NASA is in process of interally discussing possible changes to go in effect for Buttonwillow.  Entry speed to the T1 my be an issue if starting in 3rd.  Be confident that all options are being looked at.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users