Photo

You Make The Call - Atlanta 7/2015

- - - - -

Best Answer Todd Green , 08-05-2015 10:30 AM

Sorry to post a little late, just catching up on this thread.  Chris you know I respect you, but when you say side to side contact, I have a hard time understanding that point of view.  Sure ultimately it was side to side, but look at this still frame from the vid:

sm_ra_contact.png

Steve has significant steering input, the door is already closing and you can clearly see Joe's car is still completely behind Steve's car (though moving fast to the left).  Now the monkey in the wrench is the speed differential in cars.  This is just bad juju every time.  Anyway, in my book side-to-side means that you have overlap before the leading car has turned in (or minimally the trailing car has presented itself to let you know the dive bomb is coming.)  Clearly that is not the case here.   The trailing car had to have seen that Steve wasn't leaving room for whatever reason.  Perhaps the trailing car didn't have time to react, but IMO on a test day he should never have taken the chance in the first place and backed off long before it got to that point.  I don't know Steve beyond his posts here, but I'd wager that if he knew that Joe was going to stuff it in there, he'd have left room.  Very few people are going to intentionally risk injury and damage to prove a point on a testing day.  So the question becomes is it reasonable for Steve to have kept watching his mirrors after he'd already turned in?  I'd say no.  Sure there are circumstances with out of class cars and massive closing rates where you'd better be ready to leave the door open, but for in class if I've checked my mirrors before turning in and there is no car to the inside of me I'm turning down and looking where I'm going.  If you can run a corner while looking in your mirror and not lose time (or drive off track), you're much better at this than I am.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Steve admitted to shifting more focus forward AFTER turn-in and not seeing him come alongside, which is not quite the same as not looking. But yea, I missed the move and that's your point. I do have doubts about the assumption that seeing him would have prevented an incident. He yanked inside very suddenly with a lot of speed differential. Had I seen that first move, then probably, but that wasn't likely since he moved out of my mirror as I turned regardless of his move. If I noticed him when he first got inside, maybe, but at that speed I needed a quick jerk and may have been tagged anyway since there wasn't nearly enough room for him. Any later than that would likely have been too late. So could I have gotten zero blame only by catching that first flash and dodging him completely, or if I saw him and moved but a little too late would I be granted absolution?

Like I said originally, tough grader.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Steve admitted to shifting more focus forward AFTER turn-in and not seeing him come alongside, which is not quite the same as not looking. But yea, I missed the move and that's your point. I do have doubts about the assumption that seeing him would have prevented an incident. He yanked inside very suddenly with a lot of speed differential. Had I seen that first move, then probably, but that wasn't likely since he moved out of my mirror as I turned regardless of his move. If I noticed him when he first got inside, maybe, but at that speed I needed a quick jerk and may have been tagged anyway since there wasn't nearly enough room for him. Any later than that would likely have been too late. So could I have gotten zero blame only by catching that first flash and dodging him completely, or if I saw him and moved but a little too late would I be granted absolution?

Like I said originally, tough grader.

Talking 3rd party now?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
OK, watch the video again and someone explain to me why the tires along that outside wall end where they do?
Had the tires extended another 10 ft or so the car might have survived.
This can't be the first time someone hit the wall after the tires.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
For pure safety every wall should have tires! I understand why many don't(straights and or pure lack of room walls)but no idea why everything else doesn't? Granted, a light parallel brush with a wall is far better than the car being "grabbed" by tires...but every serious injury I've seen in our region is contact with an unprotected Kwall. :(

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

OK, watch the video again and someone explain to me why the tires along that outside wall end where they do?
Had the tires extended another 10 ft or so the car might have survived.
This can't be the first time someone hit the wall after the tires.

I have totaled a car outside of t1 in 2003 Road Atlanta and totaled another in 2007 outside turn 2 at Topeka... Neither spot had tires or foam blocks covering the concrete wall... After both my hits, they had tires and foam blocks afterwards :(

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Where I hit takes special effort, I suspect it's not where many land. On the other had, I did see impact marks other than mine so perhaps Joe is a regular there? Kidding!!

I know some impact zones are intentionally left "hard" because it's believed more dangerous for a car to bounce back out in traffic. Not like there is a shortage of old tires so In this case they probably just don't expect you to go off there.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Topher

Topher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:ATL

https://youtu.be/iVNyFCKNDkI

Couple of thoughts:

Contrast Steve's video with this one. (FF to 6:10 mark). Damon was loose on the exit of Turn 3 forcing him to the outside. I could have easily tried to take advantage and jammed the car on the inside of Turn 4. Why didn't I? Judgment. His car is unsettled and there isn't much room for error there. It is a high risk move even in a racing situation. No place for it in a test day.

If anyone else has video of the Turn 1 incident at RA from Sat. race at the July Fry please PM me.

This thread has generated another interesting point of discussion: that of track safety measures. 

I am of the opinion that the club racing tracks we visit are in the dark ages when it comes to safety. There are Luddites in the audience who believe that the danger is part of the sport and separates the men from the boys.

Last weekend's HPDE death should make us second guess this philosophy.

Why do we have any bare concrete walls?  

And surely there is a better solution to slow cars down then pits of gravel. I recall reading (article about a journalist driving Kimi's 2014 Lotus F1 car) about a track surface that was textured and designed to scrub speed without immobilizing the cars.

Has there not been any improvements because the technology hasn't advanced, or is it just a function of track owners unwilling to make the investment?

Can we as club racers effect any changes to make the tracks safer?

Hell, IMSA no longer has its own medical team at races.  Pro drivers don't have a dedicated trauma trained physician at the track. How crazy is that? 

I can't help make a parallel to F1 in the 1950s when it comes to track safety. 

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56

I disagree.. Camera car is never even 3/4 of a car off of LS curbing. So to initiate this "pass" it appears from this video the driver has to put his lefts over the ls curb in a best case scenario.. On TEST day, sorry IMO, that was just a really bad decision. I hate to pass judgement without seeing the video from the other car, but from what I saw , it fairly conclusive. If the video Crowell car, I would love to see it.
I hate to see cars torn up at anytime, on test day is even worse. Just makes no sense whatsoever! Sorry about your car.

Were there any conversations post incident?

I agree with Jim. The guy over taking is at fault, where the camera car was in that turn he has to get back to left for the next S. Camera car over took clean in privious corner, I would have thought twice on test day about that one.

The second problem, that corner is not a place you are expecting a car to over take, especialy on test day. Now, if your five laps into a race, different story.

Sorry about the car.

Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users