Photo

You Make The Call - Atlanta 7/2015

- - - - -

Best Answer Todd Green , 08-05-2015 10:30 AM

Sorry to post a little late, just catching up on this thread.  Chris you know I respect you, but when you say side to side contact, I have a hard time understanding that point of view.  Sure ultimately it was side to side, but look at this still frame from the vid:

sm_ra_contact.png

Steve has significant steering input, the door is already closing and you can clearly see Joe's car is still completely behind Steve's car (though moving fast to the left).  Now the monkey in the wrench is the speed differential in cars.  This is just bad juju every time.  Anyway, in my book side-to-side means that you have overlap before the leading car has turned in (or minimally the trailing car has presented itself to let you know the dive bomb is coming.)  Clearly that is not the case here.   The trailing car had to have seen that Steve wasn't leaving room for whatever reason.  Perhaps the trailing car didn't have time to react, but IMO on a test day he should never have taken the chance in the first place and backed off long before it got to that point.  I don't know Steve beyond his posts here, but I'd wager that if he knew that Joe was going to stuff it in there, he'd have left room.  Very few people are going to intentionally risk injury and damage to prove a point on a testing day.  So the question becomes is it reasonable for Steve to have kept watching his mirrors after he'd already turned in?  I'd say no.  Sure there are circumstances with out of class cars and massive closing rates where you'd better be ready to leave the door open, but for in class if I've checked my mirrors before turning in and there is no car to the inside of me I'm turning down and looking where I'm going.  If you can run a corner while looking in your mirror and not lose time (or drive off track), you're much better at this than I am.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Yea, yea, this horse is pretty well dead, but hard to not include additional thoughts as they occur to me and be curious about the rationale behind opposing viewpoints. I think it matters, beyond trying to convince people that I'm right. Besides, I don't see a lot of more pressing topics vying for our attention at the moment.

You'll go crazy trying to get any sort of consensus from this forum.  Many of the folks just love to be contrarian.

Collect opinions, weight them, draw your conclusions, move on.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Many of the folks just love to be contrarian.

Yea, contrarian, that's it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=8hGvQtumNAY

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Yea, yea, this horse is pretty well dead, but hard to not include additional thoughts as they occur to me and be curious about the rationale behind opposing viewpoints. I think it matters, beyond trying to convince people that I'm right. Besides, I don't see a lot of more pressing topics vying for our attention at the moment.

Interesting topic Steve. Anyway the votes are in. 29 (now including me) people have cast their views.

16 think Joe was totally in the wrong
7 think Joe was mostly to blame, but you also had a portion of responsibility
5 don't define their position
1 appears to think Joe was in the right but sorry it happened (at least that's my read of Joes post)

As for me, I'm in the "Joe was mostly to blame, but you also had a portion of responsibility" group. I err to an 90/10 split.

If this forum was a democracy with any influence on apportioning blame, Joe would be sunk. Of course the crowd is fickle and a different video (from red car) might sway the vote.

My conclusion (with the evidence available) is that Joe went for a seemingly low percentage pass on a test day and it cost you dearly. This is an expensive and occasionally dangerous sport and we should hold each other to a high standard of track behavior, hence I find this discussion useful in my desire to be better and safer on the track. My take away is to not to be tempted to do the same move (expecting different results) - and hope I remember this in the heat of driving fast. On the other hand, if I was in your car on that day, I would wonder if I could have predicted Joe coming through and eased up my steering once I saw him disappear rapidly from my rear view mirror. He had to be somewhere....

Armchair critique is alway easier than the real thing, but I appreciate the learning opportunity from following these threads.

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
My take...
Joe was closing hard
Steve was off pace and off line
Joe decided too pass inside on the traditional race line for that corner (very common too have left 2 wheels on inside curb)
Steve didn't see him
Steve moved from off line towards the normal line
Joe had no where too go at that point
Cars touched side too side mostly
Steve crashed hard into outside wall
Joe continued on with a tire mark at most
Fault = inmo 50/50
Key evidence against Steve is he just didn't look inside before heading towards curbing
Key against joe is he assumed Steve would see him making a late pass in traffic on a test day.
Side too side contact should be the responsibility of both drivers. As I coach customers and myself I always say protect your car regardless of others actions. In the end and hindsight there was always a way too avoid these crashes if you made yourself aware of the possibilities and used the info available aka closing rates and mirrors
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Watch the video again Chris, it simply does not support much of what you are saying. It is very clear, to my eyes, that Joe was entirety BEHIND me and even slightly to the outside at the moment that I turned the wheel into the corner. You can see me looking at the mirrors confirming what's behind. Then you should see a single steering input by me at that time, BEFORE he dives inside, (some of the initial movement accross my mirror is me turning of course) and then my hands are almost perfectly still until impact, certainly NOT adding any input to the left. I saw him and I made ONE steering input while he was still BEHIND me, period. Your description just doesn't seem to square with that. He may have thought I planned to leave more room inside. Certainly had he been left/inside at the moment I had to turn the wheel I would have done that. But at that time he was center or right of center, not inside. He even says he would normally go outside there and was prepared to. So maybe he genuinely thought I was going to leave room inside and was simply wrong, and going too fast once committed. That might make him less outrageously thuggish on a test day, but I can't see how that adds up to 50% my fault. The mirror and steering wheel couldn't be more clear.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Sadly regardless of what you say or think he was way beside you before impact occurred. Clearly to me atleast he thought you were staying outside and that is why he went inside. As that was happening you took inside away from him. I'm not saying he was right as clearly he was wrong. He made the inside choice you decided too move from mid track too inside and plain and simple didn't see him. The part that gets me blaming you 50% is the side too side contact. That is a lot of car for you too see even just a glimps in the mirror or out of the corner of your eye and there would have been no crash.
Was it a dick move on a test day? Sure it was and sadly your car was heavily damaged.
Was there anything you could have done? Yes there was. Awareness during test days is even more important as there are huge differences in the people around you. Too give you a corner specific explanation turn 4 at ra is a constant radius single input corner and your line thru it is always determined be the exit from 3. Typically at speed if a car is outside it can't get too the inside line as the speed and grip limits the ability too turn down. You were off pace some from passing the much slower car and joe didn't fully grasp that.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Full disclosure... I'm blaming both and have never met either driver
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Wow, you are a tough grader! 50% for maybe two seconds, in the middle of a turn, for not seeing and avoiding someone who had been well behind me and even slightly outside at entry an instant before. You are right, he had to be somewhere, but mid-corner is a tough time to figure out where. If I had guessed inside but he had actually gone outside, it would be him in the wall. But I HELD MY LINE, and apparently that was worth absolutely nothing in your grading system. So be it, I'm just glad I didn't have you for a teacher in school! 😣
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Steve good thing you didnt put this vid up on facebook for spec miata racers discussion page... It would have over loaded FB  what with the other action at RA being discused.

nearly 7 pages of arm chair quarterbacking OMG 

K. Webb