• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

JPM.
http://p4.storage.ca...72/89161597.jpg

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

then tell each other how proud they are of themselves.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/pat.gif

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

So this is basically effective today (who didn't know) for those who have read this, until something else comes out official, correct?
J~

I'm not sure what you mean.... I do not speak for the SMAC, or CRB, or BOD or SCCA so I'm not sure why you would think what I said would carry any official weight.

All that I am saying is that there is nothing to my knowldge today in the GCR that calls out what the spec is or what the header should look like from the factory.  If someone protested someone (and won) over the header welds in today's environment I would be shocked if it were not over turned on appeal since there is no standard and as others have mentioned some of the headers received in recent years have machine tool/grind marks on them direclty from Mazda.

In the grand scheme of things, my opnion means nothing official.  I'm just sharing my view point.

Thanks... Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I understand Sean, I agree with your statement.

If you can't police it (No spec to use in tech), you can't really stop people from doing it, make it the rule, IMO.
Makes it fair for everyone.

The loophole was pointed out (today) to everyone who read it and wanted to take advantage of it. (though not official)
If there's a rule, post it, so everyone is clear. Why the binning/cherry picking ??

I was waiting for Jamz to say IIDSYCDIYC, must be on vacation. :)

IIDSYCDIYC(If it doesn't say you can do it (in the rules) you can't)
J~

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

I don't think the vocal minority would be happy until the 1.6 got a turbo and all the mid pack drivers could win at any race with a $5000 car.

Damn you Ralph, you finally figured out my evil plan ! ;) lol
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

jdmrrs

jdmrrs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:AutobahnCC
  • Car Year:9099
  • Car Number:2x/2

FYI: Autobahn Country Club’s Spec Miata series has had about 40 members race this year, with an average car count of approx. 24.  Members own 60-70 Spec Miata’s.  To increase car count and encourage new entrants, members embarked on a series of tests to improve 1.6 performance. In the end, at 2275#, a Racing Beat header with the driver’s side turn signal lens and headlight bulb removed appears to be a quick, effective and cost efficient means of making the 1.6 cars more competitive. On a fresh Stewart motor, the header improved torque and horsepower about 3 units (range of 2-4) throughout the 4500-7000 rpm range, top-speed increased 3 mph at three different locations on the South track.  The track’s SM champion turned virtually identical lap times in the test car and his ’99.  About 10 cars are presently being converted.

• Tom Hampton, B(Kuch)Kucera45, ToddW and 3 others like this

Jim Morris

#2, 2X & 722

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Just so I understand it correctly, those in the know whom communicate off site for learning purposes can come on this Mazda Racers community communication site for everyone  and put down who they please and then tell each other how proud they are of themselves. Interesting that those fostering the class leave so many question go un-answered.

There is a very good reason someone sponsored JPM for his 1.6/99 build/test/dyno/results report services. Duh, someone desires more 1.6 cars at events. They sure as hell didn't sponsor JPM to shut up the vocal minority.

Where's then two pounds come off the flywheel? I looked at a flywheel, pull the dowels and grind away or???

EDIT:
After doing a couple numbers I presume grind off the .095" two proud surfaces plus another .03" off the 10 3/8" diameter.
Is this Mazda acceptable?
Per the Mazda FSM if flywheel surface area for disc match up is more than .008" dial run out, replace the flywheel.
Johnny, your expertise on the subject.

As usual I don't know what you are talking about.. Some code I guess? I will answer what I can regarding flywheel. You are thinking the wrong side. I'll look for a picture.

The two pounds they are talking about will come off machining the outer ring down about 3/8 in

F61748095_zpsuijsr3wh.jpg

images_zpslx08mejx.jpg

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

I'm not sure what you mean.... I do not speak for the SMAC, or CRB, or BOD or SCCA so I'm not sure why you would think what I said would carry any official weight.

All that I am saying is that there is nothing to my knowldge today in the GCR that calls out what the spec is or what the header should look like from the factory.  If someone protested someone (and won) over the header welds in today's environment I would be shocked if it were not over turned on appeal since there is no standard and as others have mentioned some of the headers received in recent years have machine tool/grind marks on them direclty from Mazda.

In the grand scheme of things, my opnion means nothing official.  I'm just sharing my view point.

Thanks... Sean

Except you are forgetting that SM has a tech czar now.. If he looks at it and feels it has been modified. Its gone. No spec needed. And also tech has always been able to compare a part to a known part from Mazda.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

Wow. I've been doing this along time.  Funny thing is, the further I move from my roots, the more things appear the same.  Jamz14, I can't wait to meet you.  Believe me, all the drinks can go on my AMEX.  Cause you are either brilliant or crazy and I ain't judgin'

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Except you are forgetting that SM has a tech czar now.. If he looks at it and feels it has been modified. Its gone. No spec needed. And also tech has always been able to compare a part to a known part from Mazda.

Here in lies the problem.... The new ones all have machine marks on them, so they are (from my experience) way worse than the old ones that weren't really touched.  So if it were compared to a new one with the grind marks on them I would think one could easily argue that it was done at the factory and no one could prove otherwise.

I'm not saying it's right, I just think the CCC has no way to prove what was factory and what was not since Mazda can't even do it.

Just my 2 cents.... Sean 

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

Here in lies the problem.... The new ones all have machine marks on them, so they are (from my experience) way worse than the old ones that weren't really touched.  So if it were compared to a new one with the grind marks on them I would think one could easily argue that it was done at the factory and no one could prove otherwise.

I'm not saying it's right, I just think the CCC has no way to prove what was factory and what was not since Mazda can't even do it.

Just my 2 cents.... Sean

while I may agree and understand what you are saying.. You keep using words like "prove" Nothing needs to be proved with the CCC.. If they "feel" you modified. You will be dq'ed.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

As usual I don't know what you are talking about.. Some code I guess? I will answer what I can regarding flywheel. You are thinking the wrong side. I'll look for a picture.The two pounds they are talking about will come off machining the outer ring down about 3/8 inF61748095_zpsuijsr3wh.jpgimages_zpslx08mejx.jpg

Wow that's a lot of material removed !
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

Cause you are either brilliant or crazy and I ain't judgin'

Im saying both!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

Wow that's a lot of material removed !

if this is approved.. someone needs to do and weigh it before they spec a weight IMO.. By "guessing" to me looks like it could be more than 2 lbs

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Honestly, this is only one piece of the pie. driver/coaching/data, prep, etc (the full package) is all needed to be on the top steps.
If you're an average driver with average prep, running mid pack, you not going to see much or be on the podium all of a sudden.
I'd say if a real good driver and make no mistakes, close to top prep and were top ten (maybe top 5) or knocking on the door, you'd have a chance at podium.
I'd imagine with any adjustment.
:twocents:
J~

S T I L L
M I S S I N G
T H E
P O I N T
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

if this is approved.. someone needs to do and weigh it before they spec a weight IMO.. By "guessing" to me looks like it could be more than 2 lbs

IMO I think we should leave the flywheel as is and focus on the header,turn signal and heat soak problem.
  • Sean - MiataCage and ECOBRAP like this
Kuch

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

while I may agree and understand what you are saying.. You keep using words like "prove" Nothing needs to be proved with the CCC.. If they "feel" you modified. You will be dq'ed.

True......

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

I don't think the vocal minority would be happy until the 1.6 got a turbo and all the mid pack drivers could win at any race with a $5000 car.

Ralph, that is simply not true. You, me and the entire smug majority all know we could give the mid-packers Scott Pruett's Daytona Prototype car and they would still finish mid-pack. And Vettel could beat everyone driving a V2 Motorsports dune buggy.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Ralph, that is simply not true. You, me and the entire smug majority all know we could give the mid-packers Scott Pruett's Daytona Prototype car and they would still finish mid-pack. And Vettel could beat everyone driving a V2 Motorsports dune buggy.

Lol. Very good. The buggy might be a overdog. 160HP 2.2 liter at 1200 lbs. 3 way adjustable coil overs on A-arm suspension. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

As usual I don't know what you are talking about.. Some code I guess? I will answer what I can regarding flywheel. You are thinking the wrong side. I'll look for a picture.

The two pounds they are talking about will come off machining the outer ring down about 3/8 in

images_zpslx08mejx.jpg

The code is an attempt to keep you off track. :bigsquaregrin:

Aware of engine side ring. Was suggesting the clutch plate side because of Dave Wheeler's comments of Mazda/liability comments back in the day (his day on SMAC).  Also the Mazda FSM suggests replacing the flywheel if total indicator run-out is more than .008 inches.

For my other $0.02, removing two pounds off eighteen pound flywheel would be noise. MazdaMotorSports sells Fidanz aluminum flywheels, approx. half the weight of steel flywheel.

1.6er's would you rather be an under-dog or over-dog.  If over-dog, plate and or weight.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users