1.6 Data & Testing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1001 replies to this topic

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

This 'cheat' has been around so long that I suspect there are very few 1.6 cars that have not already part-binned/welds cleaned the header. Thus, allowing this is of no benefit at all.

I vote one aftermarket header is chosen and spec'd. Does MazdaSpeed already sell an AM header for the 1.6? (I can't find one on their cumbersome website)

Send you letter please.......  Your vote on this website means nothing official.

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

From my understanding of what is on the table, the three or four things are intended to combine to give the 1.6 a little nudge, not a big push.

The allowance of grinding the welds on the headers is more to bring all the headers to the same level of performance to avoid part hunting ( just like the plunge Cut on the heads) was intended to do., rather than permitting a full blown header. Weld grinding is consistent with keep costs low.

On the flywheel issue, we may just be talking about second gear at some tracks, but as Sean said, it may not help much but can't hurt. We are talking about a game of inches in most cases anyway.

• Sean - MiataCage likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

How long is the RFI open for?  I intend to write a letter...but, want some facts before I do. 

I agree with Denny.  If this is a "top prep" 1.6L to "top prep" '99 standard....then cherry picked-exhaust (or stealthily ground) manifolds are already part of that definition. Making the grinding explicitly legal is only decreasing the difference between a less-than-top prep 1.6 and top-prep 1.6---a good thing, but it isn't addressing any difference between a top-prep 1.6L and a top-prep 99.

I don't trust the data from JPM on the 1.6L.  That engine was in-no-way representative of a true top-prep 1.6L engine.  I think that data over-estimates the benefit of the header.  So, I'd like to gather some of my own data before I write in a letter requesting an aftermarket header instead of/in addition to the weld-cleanup.  But, I don't want to miss the window because my builder is at NASA champs and the Run-offs over the next month or so. 

I don't think a "spec'd part" is any more necessary than it is for the rest of the exhaust.  Allow the header and leave it open or spec a few key parmeters to keep the permutations "sane" (2-into-1 or 4-into-1 or whatever). Then let the marketplace stabilize to the one or two options.   There will be some early volatility, but word gets around quick what works and what doesn't. 

Edit: it is easier to slow the cars down, than it is to speed them up.  So, erring on the high side and then pulling back via competition adjustment seems a more prudent path.  No set of mods is going to get it right the first time anyway.  So, just take the need for a future competition adjustment as part of the PLAN. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The weld clean up is such a no-brainer...easy cheap and available to all who havent already done it  :P

Be sure to add the down pipe welds in your new wording SMAC!!!

Crazy thing is some of the WORST exhaust manifolds(huge welds blocking flow or creating turbulents)are coming on brand new parts from Mazda! So easy to clean before it goes in the car!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Has anyone received a new one in the past few years that doesn't already have conspicuous grinding marks? I have purchased two of them years apart and neither would pass tech by Stevie Wonder.
  • sentercut likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

This 'cheat' has been around so long that I suspect there are very few 1.6 cars that have not already part-binned/welds cleaned the header. Thus, allowing this is of no benefit at all.

I vote one aftermarket header is chosen and spec'd. Does MazdaSpeed already sell an AM header for the 1.6? (I can't find one on their cumbersome website)

This is similar to timing and fuel pressure reg on 99's. Many had these mods before without being allowed. This leveled the playing field for all. I believe that a header that is legally allowed to clean up all the welds will be 1/1 better than 99% of the the tech legal versions out there.  So it should be a little something in the right direction

My letter said allow all four, but the flywheel is a waste of time and money IMO.  

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Allowing competiors to use a grinder on the welds is a no brainer in my opinion.....  Not to mention that there is currenlty no spec or enforcable rule for checking the header welds in today's environment.

So this is basically effective today (who didn't know) for those who have read this, until something else comes out official, correct?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

little something in the right direction

I respectfully disagree. Cleaning-up the stock header will do nothing to close the gap between the NA6 and the NB.

Was Fowler's Barber experiment a cleaned-up OEM header or an aftermarket header? Lap times show he was equal but not dominant.

So this is basically effective today

It was effective in 2005. It means nothing today.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

For those of us who have never "improved" the stock headers or had a bunch from which to select even IF we could prove which was better, this will close the gap to "top prep" of ANY year.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Wow.  All the bitching and moaning.  Here the SMAC is considering giving 4 performance enhancements with very little cost to owners and some vocal 1.6 prima donna's want more, or are just pissing on the presented options.  Even if its not enough, its a start and something ffs.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA