cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SOW
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

If someone can compile race results for the past several years with the year car noted, I can run a regression analysis with grouping on which years are consistently winning. I can run categories of 90-93, 94-97, 99-00, 01+.  I need a sample size of at least 30 races in order to have a high level of confidence. It will be inferential statistics on the whole population.

I'll gladly post the results here.

PM me for my personal e-mail.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I can tell you now w/o any number crunching..  99-00 are winning the majority.

Unless you mean you want to compare number of entries vs. win %

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Would like to use a statistical model to show to probability of the various models of SM to place well relative to location (track) and taking into consideration how many cars are entered.  Currently, the majority of cars entering SM races are 99-00 so it is fully expected for those years to place higher.  But the 1.8 NA models (94-97) do not enter very many aces and as expected, do not win and do not think they even place very well.  The same seems to be true to a lesser extent for the 1.6 NA models (90-93).  But on the flip side, since most of the entrants are 99-00, those are also most of the mid pack and back of the pack.  By using regression analysis, I should be able to show the relative success of each model type as long as there is a large enough sample size. 

I have easy access to SCCA SouthWest Division results, but not to NASA or other SCCA divisions.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

It might have been interesting shortly after NBs were added but I see absolutely no value in it now. You may as well analyze the success rate of casual marathon runners against top Kenyans and Ethiopians. The importance of the base stock is nothing compared to the level of effort and preparation.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Keep 1.6 bullshit in it's place.

Right here. (well you can use the next post)

Carry on. :arguing:

https://www.youtube....h?v=9FnO3igOkOk

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Parity across model years is the future of Spec Miata...

...and always will be.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

But as the late great Yogi Berra once said, "The future ain't what it used to be."
  • Sean - MiataCage likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Currently, the majority of cars entering SM races are 99-00 

Not in SFR SCCA.   Where are you getting your stats?

cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

According to the 2015 SCCA run-offs, out of 62 entrants in SM, 3 are 1.6, 0 are 94-97 and 59 are 99+.

In my area in Texas, typical SCCA and NASA events with around 30 entrants typically have around 3 to 4 1.6, 1 or 2 94-97, and the rest are 99+.

What is SFR look like?  What about other areas?

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

According to the 2015 SCCA run-offs, out of 62 entrants in SM, 3 are 1.6, 0 are 94-97 and 59 are 99+.

In my area in Texas, typical SCCA and NASA events with around 30 entrants typically have around 3 to 4 1.6, 1 or 2 94-97, and the rest are 99+.

What is SFR look like?  What about other areas?

For NASA Utah (counting just locals)

1.6: 75%

1.8: 8%

99+: 17%

I believe.  I don't generally look under hoods so maybe one of the 1.6's is a 1.8, but that should be close.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

SFR SCCA. SM, SMT, and SSM all run together but look for yourself. A ton of 1.6's in each class this year.

http://www.sfrscca.o...tsstandings.pdf

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Entry counts pretty average for NW this year with Rose Cup pulling in 25 cars and Ridge season closing race with 28 cars.  1-99 in each field and 1 or 2 1.8s :D  For the most part, all had pro motors in SCCA and a handful were top prep.  There are a good number of 99s after last season, but they got parked because we love our 1.6s!

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Long meeting yesterday. Lots covered and debated back and forth. I am sure Todd will put out a summery.

Take your time Todd, get settled back from the runoffs and your thought together, no rush.

I'm sure most are interested. :)

J~

Tom OPM

Tom OPM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SE

Long meeting yesterday. Lots covered and debated back and forth. I am sure Todd will put out a summery.

I met with Ralph at the Run-Offs and I think I got him all straightened out. :laughing: Im sure they will fill us in soon.

• Mike Collins likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

No adjustment required. For the third year in a row the 2016 Runoffs will be held at a "1.6 track".

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

No adjustment required. For the third year in a row the 2016 Runoffs will be held at a "1.6 track".

Now all we need to do is get some to show up :)
  • Mike Collins and Steve Scheifler like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
I think I won't get into too much trouble for disclosing a portion of the 1.6 adjustments.

The SMAC will not be recommending a lighter flywheel to the CRB. Member input and MAZDA did not support the recommended change to the 1.6.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee

http://freedomfeens....4/03/image1.jpg

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

I think I won't get into too much trouble for disclosing a portion of the 1.6 adjustments.

Ralph, don't disclose anything else. I don't want you to spoil the surprise.

• Jim Drago likes this

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

The SMAC will not be recommending a lighter flywheel to the CRB. Member input and MAZDA did not support the recommended change to the 1.6.

Most importantly..... Nor did the science (not opinion) that several took the time to work up and present through the appropriate channels. 

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)