Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

In your estimation what would 1mm or restriction do to the car?

Sean

We have a difference on opinion in most of the rest. I can say there is plenty to do on my cars, so I have a hard time believing there is nothing to do on anyone's cars, not yours in particular, in general.

As far as plates.. If the consensus is we need a 5 HP header or a compression bump.. 1mm is not going to get you there. You are likely talking another 2-3mm. Another 2-3 mm plate reduction ( IMO) will force us to build 1.6 cars which as you know I think is a very bad idea for the class. That being said, only a 2-3 mm plate will have any noticeable effect. Not an easy call IMO in either direction.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

I concur with Sean. We coul just slow-down the NB cars a little. What if we took away the adjustable timing wheel?

Then people would cheat the ECUs.  That is why it was added.  Too many people had cheated ECU's so the adjustable FP and timing plate were added to negate the "at the time" untechable cheat.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

What about the guys/gals with '94-97 cars that are pretty close now and just need a tweak?  Would slowing the NB cars just a touch make sense there?  

The SMAC should be finding a way to raise the NA 1.8 rev limiter.  That has been one of the weakest points on the cars that I have raced.   

• Mark likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

This all makes a lot of sense. The rest of the SMAC are you listening ? The only issues- All 99-05 cars have to buy a new plate. With a 1.6 header only about 10 will really do it. The rest will complain about the cost and labor. Give the 1.6 the turn signal and intake wrap and wee how they do. Then we can look into plate changes.

Thanks Tom..... To be fair to the rest of the SMAC, we have all discussed this.  I will let them choose to give their stance if they so desire.  As with life people view things through their own glasses and some are not always the same.  I believe the discussion never gets very far in any circle because the "99 guys will never go for it".  The past and current SMAC all want what is best for the class and I believe that we will get there.  Due to past SMAC and other peoples work we are already very, very close.  Fine tuning at best :)

I agree with your assesment.  Lets start with turn signal etc and re-visit plate if need be later.

Thanks.... Sean

• EMatoy likes this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Then people would cheat the ECUs. That is why it was added.

Easy fix. Claiming rule for ECUs and/or SCCA hands-out sealed ECUs at each event. (Majors at least)

Ought to do this anyway.

• av8tor likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Here is the issue with smaller plates on the 99/VVT cars. For the most part they are a direct shift down of the entire power curve. A good 1.6 can produce the same or more power up top and added higher rev limit. So the problem between the 1.6 and the NBs it not on the top end. The 1.6 has legs up top. Reducing plate size would just make this disparity much bigger between cars. The SMAC has tested -2mm on both the VVT and 99 cars. Bottom line is plates do not address the differences between cars it actually makes it worse. 

Adding weight to the NBs. At this point they are believed to be maxed out in weight. They are killing bearings and tires right now. I think it would be a tough fight to convince the NB gang to add more weight to accommodate the 1.6. It would be a cost hit to every NB car in tire and bearing cost. That being said weight is what would somewhat address the torque disparity between cars. I don't believe we could make the 1.6 cars any lighter and it would be a very tough sell to make the NBs heavier. 

The other argument is that the parity between the 99 and VVT is extremely close, So lets not chance screwing that up. It would also mess with the balance of the 1.8, although not being spot on we know and have data to where we currently are at. 

So bottom line is weights and plates are not the slam-dunk fix all solution. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Easy fix. Claiming rule for ECUs and/or SCCA hands-out sealed ECUs at each event. (Majors at least)

Ought to do this anyway.

That does not work with the VVT as the ECU is specific to the key. so you would have to swap a lot more that just the ECU.

But I will say, we should include in the discussion, any one caught cheating an ECU should get a one year, Time off for bad behavior penalty, if its undeniable they cheated. 

• Jim Drago and av8tor like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
A lot of good points here. I like it's being put on the table for people to see how difficult this is.

Since Sean has the top prep can he do some testing ?

I've done the 37mm Rp and it sucks the life out of it.

I'd like to see +2/2 header, I see the concern on the top end. Can you use the SIR to get up top and then hold it.

This doesn't have to do with Majors or people building them or there's none in my region.

Are the NB guys a little worried any add will give them some competition at Mid-O ?

Id be up for letting the region make supps for RP/WT parity or at least let them play with the idea, maybe on a regional level

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

A couple of thoughts.  I guess I can throw my 2 cents in here.

First, constant debate/moaning will never end as long we are not on a single platform.  Someone will always feel shafted.  While probably unpopular to some, in my opinion two different SM classes would remove a need for the difficult balancing.

Second, go back to more street DOT type tires.  The Hoosier can make a hero out of many, and withstands the abuse of the heavier 99+ better than the old RA1's did.  Putting the class on something similar to the RA-1 type tire, would hurt the 99+ more than the lighter cars.

Hoosier makes a great tire, just maybe too good.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

While probably unpopular to some, in my opinion two different SM classes would remove a need for the difficult balancing.

There are two gens of NA8, a NA6, NB1, and NB2 - each are balanced to one another.  So pair off the NA6 and listen to the NA8 bitch in our place.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Potential challenges with adopting headers,

Lots of designs out there. We have seen reports from 2/2 to 5/5. and whats to say better design may still be out there. 

So if we make a rule that makes any header available we do not know where the limit is. Sean could invest $10000 dollars developing one that could make 10/10. its a variable that is out of our control if we make them open. The cost could be wildly variable as well. Kinda the issue we had with open pressure plates and clutches we have had in the past. 

next option would be to spec a header. To accomplish this a manufacture would have to be held accountable for producing their product within a tight tolerance. Possibly could be done but has not been investigated. I am sure the price would reflect the request. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Ought to do this anyway.

I agree on ECU, but you can still get the timing without ecu and without plate. Saul and I had it for years before the adjustable timing wheel was legal. It is a PITA and a lot of parts matching, but very doable.
  • Mike Collins likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

There are two gens of NA8, a NA6, NB1, and NB2 - each are balanced to one another.  So pair off the NA6 and listen to the NA8 bitch in our place.

That is not the logical split...

But it doesn't really matter.  This is the same discussion each year.  As long as there is differences, someone will not be happy.  I remember having a 45 mm plate in my 99.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA