Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Everyone top prep is already going .010 over correct ?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom OPM

Tom OPM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:1990

My thoughts on what if between a Header and compression, i would favor compression. Has about the same affect on curve shape but is so much more controllable in tech. Exact same for everyone with no variance. Path of least resistance with most predictable results. 

Ralph Really ?  This is not what the majority 1.6 owners want. May be a good answer, but not what the customer is asking for. How much do they get ? What do they have now ? Do they have any way of checking it ? How much do they wack off the head ? We gave them .4 and they were checked and they did .5. Whoops head is no good and a DQ. I really think the customer is asking for something relatively cheap, will make their car somewhat more competitive and easy to do.Sometimes you have to do what the customer wants not what you think is best for them.

• davearm, Andy Mitchell and Jesse Prather like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Ralph Really ?  This is not what the majority 1.6 owners want. May be a good answer, but not what the customer is asking for. How much do they get ? What do they have now ? Do they have any way of checking it ? How much do they wack off the head ? We gave them .4 and they were checked and they did .5. Whoops head is no good and a DQ. I really think the customer is asking for something relatively cheap, will make their car somewhat more competitive and easy to do.Sometimes you have to do what the customer wants not what you think is best for them.

valid argument. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Jim bought it up earlier... the cars would be ALOT closer on skinnier tires.  The 205 Hoosier is bigger than a 225 Toyo.  The current Hoosier tire is an exceptional value, for those of you that want the glory days of Toyo you are fooling yourself. I run SSM on Toyo's as well as SM and use one set per weekend shaved to within a gnats ass of its life to run up front...

Hoosier needs to make us a 195.

• Sean - MiataCage likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Everyone top prep is already going .010 over correct ?
J~

not correct

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

WTH are we adjusting every NB car for only 10 guys willing to add header? that makes no sense at all to me. I know that is a guess at the numbers, but I bet it is not that far off.

You answer because you like to play with words.

Your totally buying into what Tom said, and you bet in  on the numbers.  "I know that is a guess at the numbers, but I bet it is not that far off."

No comment on the non-Majors numbers compared to the Majors numbers. :bigsquaregrin: Anyone know where to find the total 2015 non-Majors participation numbers?

I find the 1999 Miata factory spec for timing to be 10* +/- 1*.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

not correct

For 1.6's ?
ok
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

You answer because you like to play with words.

Your totally buying into what Tom said, and you bet in  on the numbers.  "I know that is a guess at the numbers, but I bet it is not that far off."

No comment on the non-Majors numbers compared to the Majors numbers. :bigsquaregrin: Anyone know where to find the total 2015 non-Majors participation numbers?

I find the 1999 Miata factory spec for timing to be 10* +/- 1*.

As always I welcome any protest by you or anyone else on any of my cars.

In the future, just know that I concede.. You are 100% correct in all that you post and I am most certainly incorrect. That applies to all, even opinions. I think it will just make both of our lives MUCH easier.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

For 1.6's ?
ok
J~

I wouldn't know, no one is building them :)
  • Johnny D likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

J~

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48
Just give them a damn header already

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I too am getting a bit tired.

it's seems to be a bit different this year. (Besides DD broken record)

We received test info. (they really tested a car or two, wow)

A poll, does the 1.6 need a little help.

Some SMAC saying I'm for some changes.

There's been more hope then most years IMO.

November Fastrack's out around the 20th.
Just saying.
J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Johnny D, ask yourself, whose ruling the roost, Mazda, SCCA, CRB, SMAC..................... Who paid for the JPM work?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Johnny D, ask yourself, whose ruling the roost, Mazda, SCCA, CRB, SMAC..................... Who paid for the JPM work?

J~

• Keith Andrews likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Hoosier will make us a thinner tire, like a 195. Collins recommended that a few years ago and Hoosier was on board when I looked into it.

If we do this please give us time to use up what we have.

but

This should be discussed further. 1) i hope a smaller tire would be cheaper 2) we have several issues that crop up regarding the excessive grip we get with the Hoosier, front hubs fail, Rear Hubs fail, even more now, and we are seeing hubs front and rear crack and come apart. I have had those failures too.

We are seeing transmission failures that could be compounded, by excessive grip, downshifting too soon, and blasting 3rd gear. 

I am not an expert on if the smaller tire would make us closer on parity, but we do not need the level of grip that we have. I assume the tire would last as long or they could engineer it to last as long.

I think this needs to be put on the table.

• Sean - MiataCage likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

If we do this please give us time to use up what we have.

but

This should be discussed further. 1) i hope a smaller tire would be cheaper 2) we have several issues that crop up regarding the excessive grip we get with the Hoosier, front hubs fail, Rear Hubs fail, even more now, and we are seeing hubs front and rear crack and come apart. I have had those failures too.

We are seeing transmission failures that could be compounded, by excessive grip, downshifting too soon, and blasting 3rd gear. 

I am not an expert on if the smaller tire would make us closer on parity, but we do not need the level of grip that we have. I assume the tire would last as long or they could engineer it to last as long.

I think this needs to be put on the table.

If only there was a thread to discuss this further :whistling:

http://mazdaracers.c...ity/#entry82926

J~

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

If only there was a thread to discuss this further :whistling:

http://mazdaracers.c...ity/#entry82926

J~

I did not see it, till i posted can you move it?

Dam this is a tough crowd.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Move the thread ? Move your comment? move the crowd ??

J~

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Right, like when all those liquidated NCs get lonely.  

Exactly.  And that transition to NCs should be cold turkey.  Pick a year to implement and its NC only for SM.  Older cars can move to vintage or something like SM2, or whatever.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA