Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

That's a little condescending, don't you think?  We've all heard your "I hate everyone gets a trophy generation" ad nauseum. That kind of public ridicule is sure to discourage people from entering as SMSE.

What if all you have is a 1.6, can't afford anything else and just want a place to play with other drivers in the same boat?

What I really would like to see is a separate class just for those who can/want to spend six figures/season on club racing a Miata so the rest of us can have our class back. Call it "Spend Miata."

You just said the same thing? My feeling is why limit it to only 1.6 cars? There are easily as many or more NB cars that can't compete for whatever reason as well, why not let them run in this inexpensive class?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Guess what Jim. I agree with you. I've said for years now the REAL disparity is between the haves and have nots. This is not what the class was supposed to be (a drivers class, not a spenders class), but it's way too late now. A tighter rule package at the beginning might have made a difference.

Anywho, maybe a CSM (club SM) class for those sick of the ever raising bar could be a second chance to get it right. It would also give MPR22 a class to race his soon to be obsolete NB.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SOW
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

SM is too popular it is not your class anymore, it has grown way beyond that.  

I suggest Chump car racing or something similar if you want lower cost wheel to wheel.  

Thank you for your input, your opinion is noted.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Honestly Walter SSM would be perfect for you but you have to start the class in your region.

It does cost money, that's the sport/class.
You can afford it, or you can't, or don't do it well, or do it well once in a while.

Or change class.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Number:15

SM is too popular it is not your class anymore, it has grown way beyond that.  

I suggest Chump car racing or something similar if you want lower cost wheel to wheel.  

So your saying this no longer applies?

The Spec Miata (SM) class is intended to provide the membership with the opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition.

The rules are intentionally designed to be more open than the Showroom Stock class but more restricted than the Improved Touring class.

• tom1977 likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

42 pages to give the 1.6 the same stuff we offered it years ago and they didn't want it all so potentially 3 cars can maybe improve finishing position by one or two spots if that.... There ARE NOT tons of moth balled old race cars that are going to suddenly come out of the woodwork and start racing again....why do we continue to have this same conversation every year????

Catch up Mike. The vast majority of this has been about things which were not previously offered, some of which are about to happen. While waiting on that I revived the suspension upgrade issue just a few pages back, with predictable results (a lot of noise but primarily from those not affected).
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

The Spec Miata (SM) class is intended to provide the membership with the opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition.

The rules are intentionally designed to be more open than the Showroom Stock class but more restricted than the Improved Touring class.

Absolutely not. Biggest misconception in the class.

So if Walter is looking for parity based on a lack of funds, you see how it's not going to happen.

FYI, SSM is ^^ now.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

No, I think he's saying that good competition breeds better competition and you can't prevent that from ending up with a huge disparity between the best and the rest. Paradise lasts only as long as it takes people to find it. (I doubt that's original but it fits. Might even be a little quantum physics in there.)
  • Cnj and Jim Drago like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

The class absolutely provides the membership with the opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition..

What Steve said above...

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:Reno/SFR/NWR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:86
Sounds like the last 43 pages suggest leaving the class alone once and for all. It is getting very difficult to find low cost, competitive sprint racing beyond a club level. Let us not destroy what little we currently have

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

It is low cost when you consider an entry level pro MX5 is $53,000 and an entry level SM is $15,000 or $25,000 if you want a turn key majors car (depending on builder and options)

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Low cost and compete are relative.

I'll leave it at that.
J~

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

It is low cost compared to pretty much any SCCA Majors class, with or without a decent level of participation. Factor in cost per second to be close and it's an absolute bargain. I don't believe anything discussed here would change that, except perhaps improve on it for those sitting on a pile of NAs.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Low cost and compete are relative.

I'll leave it at that.
J~

Add up what it would cost to build a car capable of being within 1 second per minute of lap time in SM compared to any Prod or GT class. Or most any Majors class. Part of that is that these cars are slow and easy to drive, but for being competitive in a popular class at low cost, this is tops.

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Number:15

The class absolutely provides the membership with the opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition..

What Steve said above...

It just seems we get relegated to second class citizens. if you don't spend $XXXXX racing, you have no right to complain. (Top Prep vs. ???) I'm willing to spend money to get closer to the front. I just end up racing less events. I'd like to have a more reliable way to make consistent power. 

It is low cost when you consider an entry level pro MX5 is $53,000 and an entry level SM is $15,000 or $25,000 if you want a turn key majors car (depending on builder and options)

I already have spent +$20k on my car, but its 1990 home build. Most advocate taking a significant loss (of course racing is the ultimate losing proposition) on my car and spending another $20k on a 99+ car. $20k for new car - ($9k if lucky on sale of current car) = $11k in new money

Trust me, I've already discussed building a new car with the wife. But looking at the economics of this endeavor, I could spend $5k in upgrades on my current car and have $6k left over for MORE RACING. I keep coming back to that, I'd rather race an "Inferior" car then spend $11k and 6-12 months to build a new car.   

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I agree with all the intent answers. Fact is spec Miata is cheap too participate in and that is within the intent of the class. It is just expensive too win in spec Miata. 2 very different things regaurdless of model owned.
  • MPR22, Jim Drago and Danny Steyn like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Add up what it would cost to build a car capable of being within 1 second per minute of lap time in SM compared to any Prod or GT class. Or most any Majors class. Part of that is that these cars are slow and easy to drive, but for being competitive in a popular class at low cost, this is tops.

I'm totally with you Steve. Chance to race at some of the best tracks, priceless, etc, etc.

Ask Walter if it's low cost,

Just seeing both side.

J~

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

It just seems we get relegated to second class citizens. if you don't spend $XXXXX racing, you have no right to complain. (Top Prep vs. ???) I'm willing to spend money to get closer to the front. I just end up racing less events. I'd like to have a more reliable way to make consistent power.

None of this is a rules or parity issue... If this was all a 1.6 class, all a NB class. same issues. The easy answer is to say money money money.. that is part of it, but less than 1/3 IMO. You are not buying wins in SM, no way. That is the best part about the class. i beat 60k Sm's every time I race them and I have mid 20's in my car plus labor.
  • Steve Scheifler likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

No, I think he's saying that good competition breeds better competition and you can't prevent that from ending up with a huge disparity between the best and the rest. Paradise lasts only as long as it takes people to find it. (I doubt that's original but it fits. Might even be a little quantum physics in there.)

Same reason that land in California is way more expensive than land in North Dakota.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Same reason that land in California is way more expensive than land in North Dakota.

Yea, but I'm pretty sure Bernie has a plan to fix that.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)