Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

LOL^^^DANNY!!

Its an enduro...couldnt it be 20 minutes shorter?? Or was the issue a track fix? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Denny what does it matter if it was at a majors of regional. Top cars on the track on the same weekend. The point is proven that it can be done in a 1.6. John also did a fine job this weekend in his 1.6. I do know that there was a lot of 99s behind the best two finishing 1.6 cars

Why has Brian purchased a 99? You would have to ask him. Maybe he wants to replace his 14 year old race car? Maybe he wants less work to matain a competitive car? Maybe he wants a new chalange? Why did he not race it this last weekend?
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Its an enduro...couldnt it be 20 minutes shorter?? Or was the issue a track fix?

Yes.    No.

what does it matter if it was at a majors of regional. Top cars on the track on the same weekend.

The percentage of top cars in the field is much higher at a Majors than at a regional. But then you knew that.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
Denny how many choose what has nothing to do with car/driver potential. The rules are in place for maximum potential of any platform. Testing and evaluating a platform is not based on a popularity contest. So putting the best 1.6 up against the best 99 in our region on the same track and the same day is a good as we can get of a test case.

As stated many times the 1.6 needs a bit of help and the SMAC is working to that goal. If no one choses the 1.6 as a platform to build upon it is not a rule issue it is due to other factors beyond the rules.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

luckymiata76

luckymiata76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Car Number:76

Mid Ohio is absolutely gorgeous this time of year and I love attending this event. It was a little disappointing that there were so many on-track incidents in every group. Seems like there was 15-20 minutes down time in-between every race group because they were picking up the carnage. Unfortunately, I was one of the knuckleheads that needed a tow truck but at lease I was courteous enough to do it in the session right before lunch so it didn't affect on-track activities. :optimist:

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

How about a shout out to David Bednarz (normally a SM driver) in F production 1993 Miata 2nd place at the classic and 2nd in the race group. :thumbsup: 

• dbednarz likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
Davd did a outstanding job in his new prod car. He was fighting some small issues all weekend but it did not seem to slow him down much. He is taking small steps learning the new car. Once he gets comfortable he is going to be hard to beat. He is really enjoying the new chalange.
  • dbednarz likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Yes.    No.

The percentage of top cars in the field is much higher at a Majors than at a regional. But then you knew that.

MY thoughts. This weekend was a perfect example...

1. MID O is now the most important track for SCCA racers until the runoffs.

2. Brian is a top notch driver with a 90% or so 1.6. 

3. He ran within .2 of the NEW track record.  Thus Brian in a 100% could run or beat the track record....

4. He raced 12 laps and his car was there at the end AND he had to make his way to get there.

5. I agree it was cooler(temp was) and MAY have helped the heat issue people have talked about.

6. Hille got a 1 and 2 at the majors---add Frank, Kyle, ---New Evan    the competition was good.

This exactly what we have been talking about ----TOP notch 1.6 with a TOP notch driver should be able to win.  I agree with a little help for the 1.6 but not much.

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I had a dream that I was at this event.  Pretty bizzare.  The dream had people in it that haven't raced in a while, I showed up for a test day and there wasn't one until it got dark, for the first race they gridded me near the bathrooms in the tech building, my brother from Arizona was there with a woman that nobody knew, A college student that lives across the street from my son was there but my son wasn't, later my son showed up but his neighbor was gone, Bruce Bannister was driving a '99, Jeff Luckritz was walking around in his underwear and for some reason we kept jacking up the car over and over.  It was a very strange and random dream.  

• Jim Drago and JRHille like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I had a dream that I was at this event.  Pretty bizzare.  The dream had people in it that haven't raced in a while, I showed up for a test day and there wasn't one until it got dark, for the first race they gridded me near the bathrooms in the tech building, my brother from Arizona was there with a woman that nobody knew, A college student that lives across the street from my son was there but my son wasn't, later my son showed up but his neighbor was gone, Bruce Bannister was driving a '99, Jeff Luckritz was walking around in his underwear and for some reason we kept jacking up the car over and over.  It was a very strange and random dream.  

Tom---  Sorry about the Bad luck weekend...     I have some unbent wheels I will sell you if you have another problem...     I will sell them with the brake rotor backing plates......  :)

• Tom Sager likes this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

MY thoughts. This weekend was a perfect example...

1. MID O is now the most important track for SCCA racers until the runoffs.
2. Brian is a top notch driver with a 90% or so 1.6. 
3. He ran within .2 of the NEW track record.  Thus Brian in a 100% could run or beat the track record....
4. He raced 12 laps and his car was there at the end AND he had to make his way to get there.
5. I agree it was cooler(temp was) and MAY have helped the heat issue people have talked about.
6. Hille got a 1 and 2 at the majors---add Frank, Kyle, ---New Evan    the competition was good.

This exactly what we have been talking about ----TOP notch 1.6 with a TOP notch driver should be able to win.  I agree with a little help for the 1.6 but not much.

All of this will soon be answered. Brian has a new 99 car. I think he will continue to do well at Mid Ohio, but just like Saul in 2008, he will do no better in a 99 than he did in the 1.6. We will see, if the 1.6 car really needs help, brian should win easily with the 99 and I dont see that happening. Not fair for Brian either as I am sure he does not want to be the yardstick.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

evan.pecore

evan.pecore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Car Number:21

Thanks guys for an amazing weekend, received a lot of very helpful advice from just about everyone which was awesome.  Big thanks to Kyle for showing me around both the car and track, sucks that his weekend had to end like it did.  Really looking forward to running with you guys next season.

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
So let me get this straight.

Because Brian can run up front at Mid O he has a top notch ( level ) 1.6. Does Brian run at any other tracks and how does he do there ?
Sorry Brian I love you like a brother and I'm in no way trying to put you down because I know you can drive. But he is a freak at Mid O and don't think he would be in the top 5 with his 1.6 at a majors there. I believe that's why he is building a new car. He finished back a ways during a couple of races this weekend. So I guess I have a top notch open diff 1.6 at Nelson Ledges because I can win there against top notch 99 plus cars. That's good to know and in no way has anything to do with the fact that I know that track like the back of my hand.

So you guys are saying that the 1.6 doesn't need much help because of one 1.6 and a driver that lives at the track should be used as an example for all the tracks around the US. You guys crack me up. All this because the runoffs are going to be at Mid O next year so your trying to come up with a set of rules because of one driver and his 1.6 that he probably won't even race it. So that should say something not even he thinks he has a chance in his lap record 1.6 !
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

Thanks guys for an amazing weekend, received a lot of very helpful advice from just about everyone which was awesome. Big thanks to Kyle for showing me around both the car and track, sucks that his weekend had to end like it did. Really looking forward to running with you guys next season.

Evan I just want to say great job this weekend. I didn't get a chance to come over to introduce myself because I was to busy try to get my one tire to hook up ! Lol

Also congrats to Frank and Justin for there wins. Next race you guys have to start in the back ! :)

Again great job and look forward to meeting you next year !
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

dbednarz

dbednarz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Number:68

Thanks Dave and Ralph for the shout-outs.  The lessons learned in the ultra competitive and talent laden Spec Miata class can be applied to other classes. The new car is a lot more work though - have learned how to change transmission gears in between every weekend, and the tires are pricier too.

After 12 seasons of racing the same car - I wanted to try something different.  Will always be a Spec Miata guy at heart.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Thanks Dave and Ralph for the shout-outs.  The lessons learned in the ultra competitive and talent laden Spec Miata class can be applied to other classes. The new car is a lot more work though - have learned how to change transmission gears in between every weekend, and the tires are pricier too.

After 12 seasons of racing the same car - I wanted to try something different.  Will always be a Spec Miata guy at heart.

Dave, I heard you warming that thing up and it sounded badass.  Best of luck with it next year.  

• dbednarz likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
Kuch the rules are based on can a car get it done in a race not how many chose that platform. It is based on the cars potential. since its getting rare that anyone is stepping up on a driver level or car level it's had to find recent examples with a 1.6. This last weekend 1.6 went head to head with one of the best driver / car combinations in the country. Also the winner of the majors at Mid O this year and second in the national point standings. So I feel it was a very good test of the 1.6 competitiveness. In the northern region most tracks are similar to mid o with the exception of RA. The rules will always reflect the max potential a car can provide. If someone does not chose to bring that platform to that level that's not the fault of the rules. That is simply the choice of that owner. The data simply does not support the claim that the 1.6 is a complete underdog. It maybe falling out of the choice car to build but it certainly is not due to its max potential.

Bottom line, can the 1.6 get it done? Is it possible? There is a lot of data that says yes. Is it the popular thing to do? no.

So Kuch will you be providing the theme music for when Brian comes out on track "Rick James, Super Freak"?
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Nice to put some faces with names and reconnect with others. Thanks to Frank for making us feel welcomed. Hopefully next trip we'll have more free time to enjoy the Saturday gathering.

I'm not certain how the many-car incident started on the back straight but my video shows some side-to-side contact in front of me, then 2 cars veered left and at least one came back across track to hit the car in front of me. Unfortunately I did not make it past without contact and had to be towed in.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Met Evan at the Farm a couple races ago, very fun young man. Congrats on your Mid Ohio races.

David

red #14

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

While you guys are arguing about parity, this is what i am going to think about over the winter.

Edit: just having fun.

Attached Files

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 and Chuck Caldwell like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users