* * * * * 4 votes build thread 99 $15k

• Please log in to reply
825 replies to this topic

Roger Caddell

Roger Caddell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

We fit the wide version into our '91 SM without the floor/tunnel modification and the cage in that car was not built super tight to the contours of the car. But since we believed in the seat and it's additional safety and comfort we made it work... it was tight!

• speedengineer likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Jason, the best part of your build is your sharing info for all to learn, especially your engine build. Got ta love your cc'ing. 

Thank you

David

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Ha.  Sorry to disappoint.  I was traveling for work all last week, thus no time for the forums and certainly wasn't home to do work on the car.  :(

But, just for you two, a graph:  ;)

graph%20time%20sink.png

that is definitely the most accurate graph you have posted :) You can add a lot of things that forum time takes away from :)

I like the bottle method. I use those bottles but never weighed before
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

Jason & I were talking about CCing over the weekend and maybe some of you tech-shed/runoffs/rules guys can comment. During the official teardown and CC'ing process, are officials taking into account the head gasket geometry? Further explained; the standard bore is 83mm, and I think the Head gasket has a thickness of ~.030" and a bore of ~84.7mm. Are measurements being taken off of the head gasket geometry to get the official CR or are they assuming a 83mm Diameter head gasket at a standard/nominal head gasket thickness? 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:84

Jason & I were talking about CCing over the weekend and maybe some of you tech-shed/runoffs/rules guys can comment. During the official teardown and CC'ing process, are officials taking into account the head gasket geometry? Further explained; the standard bore is 83mm, and I think the Head gasket has a thickness of ~.030" and a bore of ~84.7mm. Are measurements being taken off of the head gasket geometry to get the official CR or are they assuming a 83mm Diameter head gasket at a standard/nominal head gasket thickness? 

Yup, and more than just that.  Allowed to scrape carbon off?  Accounting for the piston top land crevice volume?  Accounting for ~2% change in fluid density when dispensing air temperature fluid from a burette onto a potentially still hot engine block?  etc.

Further, there is uncertainty in the CR measurement process.  Let's use my uncertainty calculation of 0.1 CR.  So if tech measures you at 0.05 CR over your limit, are you getting DQ'd, or do they recognize that maybe the measurement process isn't quite perfect and let it slide?

I have no interest in pushing the limits this far and will be leaving a margin, but I am curious to the answer.  Interesting discussion.

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
The exact sheet currently used is available in the gcr. .01 over is dq'd
Sheet includes actual inside diameter of gasket
Top ring land depth
Piston top radius/bevel
Actual bore
Actual stroke
Process was done very well at the runoffs. Aside from a transposed number on the champs car
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

The exact sheet currently used is available in the gcr. .01 over is dq'd
Sheet includes actual inside diameter of gasket
Top ring land depth
Piston top radius/bevel
Actual bore
Actual stroke
Process was done very well at the runoffs. Aside from a transposed number on the champs car

Thanks Chris!  Good info to know, didn't realize that excel worksheet existed. 

Page:

https://www.scca.com...orms-procedures

Direct link:

https://www.scca.com...ation2/download

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Well, the seat does fit.  Mocked up the pedals, dash, and steering wheel tonight to get an idea of where the seat will need to go for best driver ergonomics.  While the seat fits well enough and I'm comfortable, I am going to wait to get my Recaro Pro Racer Hans back and compare the fitment/comfort/ergonomics of both seats back-to-back.  That means I'll be putting the cage build on hold for a couple of weeks.  No worries, plenty of other stuff to work on in the meantime.  Primarily engine build, but also can do parking brake removal, subframe painting, brake caliper rebuilding, door panel trimming, battery hold down bracket improvement, could put SM suspension on, and about a dozen other things. 

PS:  That tan dash is looking real fast!  :)

IMAG1111.jpg

• Rob Burgoon likes this

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

looking good

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

PS:  That tan dash is looking real fast!  :)

IMAG1111.jpg

I have black paint and black dashes... :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

I have black paint and black dashes... :)

Yeah but didn't you know the tan dash is lighter than the black one?  Less pigment used in the plastic results in a lower density material.  Lower CG height, more rear weight bias, competitive advantage!  hehe...

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

Maybe you can guilt Jim into donating a black dash to the cause!! He hates them so much that if you keep posting pictures of the tan dash he will break down and send one!! 

• tylerbrown and speedengineer like this

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Maybe we should all post pix of our cars with tan dashes in them. Might be worth th trouble to go get one!

There's a graph in here somewhere correlating drago's irritation level with something.
  • Jim Drago and speedengineer like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Alright, who wants to help me decide which data system to get?  You get three options to choose from:

AIM MXL2

AIM MXG

AIM MXS

Can you tell that I like AIM products?  ;)

Looking for input/thoughts from those that have used these!

Hardware specs are just about identical between all three.  The MXL2 is the cheapest (correction, least expensive), and will fit nicely in front of the oem cluster due to its shape.  But that full color screen on the MXG/MXS is so snazzy.  But then the question is, which size?  MXS screen is smaller than the MXL2 screen, and the MXG is so big I'm not even sure it would fit well?  Has anyone used the MXG and can verify if it will fit well?  Looking through a small 330mm diameter Momo wheel, so the screen can't be too large or I won't be able to see all of it..  Anyone who's used the MXS, is the screen big enough to fit all of your info on it and still be legible at a quick glance?

foto_mxl2_290.jpg

main_loop.gif

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

Roger Caddell

Roger Caddell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

If it helps, here are links to the actual specs and install templates. With these you can quickly mock-up a display and get a clear idea of the sizes.

MXL2 Tech Specs:  http://www.aim-sport...ifications.htm 

MXL2 Install Template:  http://www.aim-sport...n_template.pdf 

MXG/MXS Tech Specs:  http://www.aim-sport...ifications.htm 

MXG Install Template:  http://www.aim-sport...n_template.pdf 

MXS Install Template:  http://www.aim-sport...n_template.pdf 

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

If it helps, here are links to the actual specs and install templates. With these you can quickly mock-up a display and get a clear idea of the sizes.

MXL2 Tech Specs:  http://www.aim-sport...ifications.htm 

MXL2 Install Template:  http://www.aim-sport...n_template.pdf 

MXG/MXS Tech Specs:  http://www.aim-sport...ifications.htm 

MXG Install Template:  http://www.aim-sport...n_template.pdf 

MXS Install Template:  http://www.aim-sport...n_template.pdf 

Thanks!  I had found those tech specs, but didn't notice the templates.  I'll have to print some out and test fit.

I've seen a video of the MXL2 comparing the screen readability in shade vs direct sunlight and it didn't seem to make a difference.  Anyone know if the color screens remain readable in direct sunlight?

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac
Your graphics are not quite right. The MXL2 is about 7.3" wide, the MXG is over 9". The MXS is a bit smaller than the MXL2, maybe .75" narrower. The MXG is much larger than the others. The horizontal shift/warning lights may make the MXS more "small wheel" friendly than the MXL2. I don't think the MXG is feasible in a Miata but prove me wrong :) Both the MXS and MXL2 work well in a Miata but care must be taken to get the view through the steering wheel correct.

Alright, who wants to help me decide which data system to get? You get three options to choose from:
AIM MXL2
AIM MXG
AIM MXS

Can you tell that I like AIM products? ;)

Looking for input/thoughts from those that have used these!

Hardware specs are just about identical between all three. The MXL2 is the cheapest (correction, least expensive), and will fit nicely in front of the oem cluster due to its shape. But that full color screen on the MXG/MXS is so snazzy. But then the question is, which size? MXS screen is smaller than the MXL2 screen, and the MXG is so big I'm not even sure it would fit well? Has anyone used the MXG and can verify if it will fit well? Looking through a small 330mm diameter Momo wheel, so the screen can't be too large or I won't be able to see all of it.. Anyone who's used the MXS, is the screen big enough to fit all of your info on it and still be legible at a quick glance?

foto_mxl2_290.jpg
main_loop.gif

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Does the MXL2 use the race studio 2 or 3? 

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Here is a pic of the MXS on the dash of my NA 1.6, I was pretty happy with the size. 

Attached Files

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Race studio 3 for all the new mx units. Also now connects with Bluetooth. I like the MXS for the price delta
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: build thread, 99, $15k

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)