139 replies to this topic

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:84

So how many different people in your region won tires ??

Just trying to get an idea of the number of people this is effecting.

Or it's the perceived "prize" that effect many more on attendance ?
J~

Ok, I just checked the answer to this by looking up 2015 Northern Major results.  There were 30 drivers who won at least one tire in 2015.  There were 96 drivers in total who ran at least one Northern Majors race.  However, there were only 43 drivers who ran at least two of the 6 events.

So, 30 of the 43 serious drivers won at least one tire.  Interesting.

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

:arguing: Heh heh.

But really? You would skip the majors if there were no tire-cheese?

Did you see the part where a Major costs me 3-5k, if I can reduce that by any amount I look at the track. Road Atlanta, NOLA, VIR, TWS yes. Kansas only if there is good tire money and Mazda money to defray the cost. Colorado tracks only if someone paid all my costs (High Plains is a blast but the time of year and the cost of travel and completion don't make sense).
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Did you see the part where a Major costs me 3-5k, if I can reduce that by any amount I look at the track. Road Atlanta, NOLA, VIR, TWS yes. Kansas only if there is good tire money and Mazda money to defray the cost. Colorado tracks only if someone paid all my costs (High Plains is a blast but the time of year and the cost of travel and completion don't make sense).

Anybody check on how that Sunoco Contingency package is coming along? :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Sorry guys, I'm always ready for a vigorous debate. Someone makes a point, I counter-point. Someone else comes at it from a different angle I'll try to parry that. The next one adds what I think is a misleading twist or an analogy that doesn't fit, I've got to call them on it. On a site like this multiple people offer different versions of opposing views, I'm just responding to each, looking for a better way to express my opinion and hoping to draw more people into the discussion. But then it goes subtly personal with things like "you'll still deny it" as if the ultimate irrefutable truth has been presented and I rejected it repeatedly. :shrug: That kind of slight is an old but effective way to shut someone down. OK, I give. There are several recent posts just begging to be challenged, but the lines are clear enough that I'd just be preaching to the choir on one side and a granite wall on the other. But I do marvel at the perspectives of some amateur racers.

I'm not sure why some of you guys hang out here, but if healthy debate about important subjects isn't welcome then this site has a lot less value than it should. Maybe I should spend my 2 man hours searching for humorous YouTube videos to post and break up the monotony of serious discussion. (No offense Johnny!)

Meanwhile it will at least be interesting to sit back and see what happens with SRF. It appears that Skirmants made it happen and his reasoning was as simple as it is obvious. Apparently Hoosier has managed to figure out how to move money between pots as well, despite the skeptics. Oh, and it sounds like they have developed a new compromise rain tire for the class, which may be why they are readily open to coming up with one for SM. So maybe we'll get something positive out of this in an around about way.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

. Maybe I should spend my 2 man hours searching for humorous YouTube videos to post and break up the monotony of serious discussion. (No offense Johnny!)

No please...offend Johnny all you want :)  Not sure why he gave up on the donkey icon  :noidea:

Just saying  :P  ;)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Oh, and it sounds like they have developed a new compromise rain tire for the class, which may be why they are readily open coming o up with one for SM. So maybe we'll get something positive out of this in an around about way.

This is incorrect. I called Hoosier about tire, and they started talking about changing. The next day I called Skirmants and he was unaware of the rain wear and appreciative of the call, we have always had a great relationship and sad to see the writing on the wall. In any event, I dont doubt that it helped our cause that SRF would soon have the same issue as we have with the rains. But the events did not transpire in that order at all.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Sorry guys, I'm always ready for a vigorous debate. Someone makes a point, I counter-point. Someone else comes at it from a different angle I'll try to parry that. The next one adds what I think is a misleading twist or an analogy that doesn't fit, I've got to call them on it. On a site like this multiple people offer different versions of opposing views, I'm just responding to each, looking for a better way to express my opinion and hoping to draw more people into the discussion. But then it goes subtly personal with things like "you'll still deny it" as if the ultimate irrefutable truth has been presented and I rejected it repeatedly. :shrug: That kind of slight is an old but effective way to shut someone down. OK, I give. There are several recent posts just begging to be challenged, but the lines are clear enough that I'd just be preaching to the choir on one side and a granite wall on the other. But I do marvel at the perspectives of some amateur racers.

I'm not sure why some of you guys hang out here, but if healthy debate about important subjects isn't welcome then this site has a lot less value than it should. Maybe I should spend my 2 man hours searching for humorous YouTube videos to post and break up the monotony of serious discussion. (No offense Johnny!)

Meanwhile it will at least be interesting to sit back and see what happens with SRF. It appears that Skirmants made it happen and his reasoning was as simple as it is obvious. Apparently Hoosier has managed to figure out how to move money between pots as well, despite the skeptics. Oh, and it sounds like they have developed a new compromise rain tire for the class, which may be why they are readily open to coming up with one for SM. So maybe we'll get something positive out of this in an around about way.

Steve I see no need to apologize for anything, Just never speak of this again. lol.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Did you see the part where a Major costs me 3-5k.

I did. I still don't understand but I'm OK with that.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

This is incorrect. I called Hoosier about tire, and they started talking about changing. The next day I called Skirmants and he was unaware of the rain wear and appreciative of the call, we have always had a great relationship and sad to see the writing on the wall. In any event, I dont doubt that it helped our cause that SRF would soon have the same issue as we have with the rains. But the events did not transpire in that order at all.

Ah, then thanks! That just seemed unlikely given the timeline, but it makes sense. That's why I use "sounds like" and "maybe" to make it clear that I don't claim to know the facts.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Different people are motivated by different things. I remember a guy I used to race with in sprint cars. He would choose where to race by what it paid to win even if 2nd through 5th paid less than another track. He had absolutely no chance of ever winning a race but he liked saying he was running at a $2000 to win show.

I moved to Ohio and decided to move up in class and run a whole series. My goal was "Rookie of the Year". I had seen the two previous ROY trophies and they were over six feet tall. Really impressive trophies! Both proudly displayed in their respective race shops. I wanted one of those!!!!!! I worked hard, listened to my mentors and won it!

At the awards banquet, I received my "trophy". A 9 inch Lucite plaque on a stand. Big let down!!!! Then I went back to my table and discovered they had spelled my name wrong! LOL Now that plaque is in a box someplace since I moved again. Means almost nothing but I do very much enjoy wearing my "ROY" Hoosier jacket that I never thought about until they gave it to me. I still use my Simpson roller gear bag, still have a couple pairs of gloves I bought with the $200 worth of Mechanix wear gloves I got, didn't know they were part of the deal.

Getting that trophy drove me all year. I spent a little over $25,000 just going to the races and repairing bent frames and replacing smashed wings LOL All to get a $15 Lucite plaque with a misspelled name.

What does this have to do with tires? Different people are motivated by different things................

Cheers and Merry Christmas! 

• Danny Steyn and Andy Mitchell like this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Ok, I just checked the answer to this by looking up 2015 Northern Major results. There were 30 drivers who won at least one tire in 2015.

30 seemed a little high to me so I did my own count. Northern Majors, right? You have to have a podium finish to win a tire?

If so, there were 15 individuals on Northern Majors podiums in 2015.

For shiz and gigs I counted Northeast Majors - 17 drivers on podiums.

Edit: Just re-read the Hoosier contingency. Only the top two get free tires. Only seven individual drivers fininshed either 1st or 2nd in Northern Majors in 2015. How in the world did you come up with 30 drivers?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

30 seemed a little high to me so I did my own count. Northern Majors, right? You have to have a podium finish to win a tire?

Edit: Just re-read the Hoosier contingency. Only the top two get free tires. How in the world did you come up with 30 drivers?

Negative.   3rd to 8th get one free tire.

https://www.hoosiert...om/SCCAawdg.htm

Spec Miata Payout Schedule

Major Event - (1st) 4 free tires, (2nd) 2 free tires, (3rd -– 8th) 1 free tire 

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:35

Edit: Just re-read the Hoosier contingency. Only the top two get free tires. Only seven individual drivers fininshed either 1st or 2nd in Northern Majors in 2015. How in the world did you come up with 30 drivers?

Regional racing the 1st  (2) and 2nd get (1) tire.

Majors first 8 get one tire or more depending on podium or not.( what Jason said)

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

SCCA CLUB RACING

Major or National Events
All Classes*(Except SM)
1st Place - 2 Tires
2nd Place - 1 Tire

*Note: There must be a minimum of three (3) cars that start the race in your class in order to claim a 1st place award and a minimum of five (5) cars that start the race in your class to claim a 2nd place award. Tires will be awarded for a maximum of one official points paying race per day, and a maximum of two official points paying races per race weekend event (except SM).

National Event - (1st) 2 free tires, (2nd) 1 free tire

Regional Event - (1st) 2 free tires, (2nd) 1 free tire

A Major Event equals two races, one per day.

12 tires per race equals 24 tires per event x dollars we pay per tire equals substantial contingency dollars.

Or put for the full Northern Conference.

24 tires per Majors event x 6 Majors events = 144 tires x dollars we pay per tire equals substantial contingency dollars.

Then divide that contingency dollars by the drivers in the Northern Conference that did a least one race.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Different people are motivated by different things. I remember a guy I used to race with in sprint cars. He would choose where to race by what it paid to win even if 2nd through 5th paid less than another track. He had absolutely no chance of ever winning a race but he liked saying he was running at a $2000 to win show.

I moved to Ohio and decided to move up in class and run a whole series. My goal was "Rookie of the Year". I had seen the two previous ROY trophies and they were over six feet tall. Really impressive trophies! Both proudly displayed in their respective race shops. I wanted one of those!!!!!! I worked hard, listened to my mentors and won it!

At the awards banquet, I received my "trophy". A 9 inch Lucite plaque on a stand. Big let down!!!! Then I went back to my table and discovered they had spelled my name wrong! LOL Now that plaque is in a box someplace since I moved again. Means almost nothing but I do very much enjoy wearing my "ROY" Hoosier jacket that I never thought about until they gave it to me. I still use my Simpson roller gear bag, still have a couple pairs of gloves I bought with the $200 worth of Mechanix wear gloves I got, didn't know they were part of the deal.

Getting that trophy drove me all year. I spent a little over $25,000 just going to the races and repairing bent frames and replacing smashed wings LOL All to get a $15 Lucite plaque with a misspelled name.

What does this have to do with tires? Different people are motivated by different things................

Cheers and Merry Christmas! 

MotoFusi - I laughed my way through this entirely too tragic post. So Funny! 

• Jim Drago and MotoFusi like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15

Negative.   3rd to 8th get one free tire.

https://www.hoosiert...om/SCCAawdg.htm

He was hoping you wouldn't point that out.  Would make his argument valid.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

SCCA CLUB RACING

Major or National Events
All Classes*(Except SM)
1st Place - 2 Tires
2nd Place - 1 Tire

*Note: There must be a minimum of three (3) cars that start the race in your class in order to claim a 1st place award and a minimum of five (5) cars that start the race in your class to claim a 2nd place award. Tires will be awarded for a maximum of one official points paying race per day, and a maximum of two official points paying races per race weekend event (except SM).

National Event - (1st) 2 free tires, (2nd) 1 free tire

Regional Event - (1st) 2 free tires, (2nd) 1 free tire

A Major Event equals two races, one per day.

12 tires per race equals 24 tires per event x dollars we pay per tire equals substantial contingency dollars.

Or put for the full Northern Conference.

24 tires per Majors event x 6 Majors events = 144 tires x dollars we pay per tire equals substantial contingency dollars.

Then divide that contingency dollars by the drivers in the Northern Conference that did a least one race.

Why divide by the number of drivers who did one race?  Did they buy a set of tires?  I see no scenario where Hoosier hands out money to those that don't buy a set of tires.  

If you are trying to show the benefit to the division by turning the contingency $$ into savings it should be on a per tire purchased basis.  144 x $184ish = 26,500 ish. That is just for the Majors in one division, it does not include the regional/national races which would be 6 tires per weekend.  The entire thing should be divided by tire purchased, my guess only Hooiser has any idea what that number is on a national level, doubt they can break it down to a division level as we all buy tires from different places.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

He was hoping you wouldn't point that out. Would make his argument valid.

I wasn't hoping anything. To me 30 drivers seemed high. I completely missed the 3rd through 8th reward, My bad.

But I get you don't like me even though you don't know me.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I wasn't hoping anything. To me 30 drivers seemed high. I completely missed the 3rd through 8th reward, My bad.

But I get you don't like me even though you don't know me.

For what it's worth Denny...I dont know you but I like you :)  You make good points with few words and your subtle sarcasm and one liners are some of the best. But i liked you better as Rocky and Bullwinkle!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Michael, do you really believe I hadn't looked at the entire tire contingency scope. By the way if I wanted to be pi$$y, you didn't include Runoffs tire contingency or the contingency tires the previous year Champion receives the following year. Was only keeping my post inline with scope of speedengineer's post. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users