Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
Here is a little cap on my weekend.

Not going the way I hoped I'm well off the pace ( 2 sec off pole ) with poor setup and driving errors. I had the fastest none NB time this whole weekend of 1:43.353 until this afternoon qualifier race where I got stuck in bad traffic and over heated my tires. Chris Ashcraft beet my time with a 1:43.314 and Jesse Prather right behind me with a 1:43.516

So I was as far up as 21 place in qualifying until Friday afternoon where I made a bad choice on setup and got backed down to 30th. Everyone got faster and I stayed the same.

I made a couple of adjustments and hope it helps with Sundays race. Just hope it stays dry to see if the adjustments I made will improve the car.

Ps Ralph it's not the driver it's the car I don't care what your computer says ! Lol ! :)
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Congrats to podium:
Hille (double win)
Carter, Michael
Nufer (double P3)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:29
Congrats to Justin for a great weekend! Way to go Micheal and Max! Cool to see these young guys Kicking A--!
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Crazy wet to changing. Great stuff guys.

http://www.scca.com/...sessions/latest

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Great race! And again no double yellows under difficult conditions. Congrats to Justin, Michael & Max, and to that next big pack behind. It looked like an intense battle the entire race.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Congrats to my friend Justin for a weekend sweep. Justin had the weekend covered with a pole qualifier well under the existing track record. Several drivers were under the track record, the track conditions were good till it rained. Sunday was a challenge as the track was wet going to dry. 

Its true the age of the podium finishers added together  equals my age, I am starting to wonder if I still belong.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Its true the age of the podium finishers added together  equals my age, I am starting to wonder if I still belong.

Frank, if your enjoying and having fun, continue to improve/beat your best lap times and that is called progress.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Congratulations to Justin Hille. Very strong weekend and safe to say he put his head squarely on the chopping block as the guy to beat.   :)

As with all things at some point it is out with the old and in with the new. It seems VERY clear the young guys are coming to take their place in this class! Todays podium was comprised of a 25 year ( over the hill ) and two 16 year olds at the biggest show of the year!  If you haven't been paying attention, I would say it is fair to say Max Nufer and Michael Carter have officially served notice that they are here to win races.  There have been other so called phenoms like The Beav etc during my time, but these two kids are the real deal.  Both were ridiculously fast, clean, smart and hard racers and make VERY few mistakes. They DO NOT drive or race like what most of us would expect from a 16 year old.  I ran door to door through madness with both of these kids and and they have their s*** together! I can't express how impressed I am with all three of these kids, Sorry Justin, but your a kid to us as well. The future of our class is getting brighter everyday

I tested several things and ideas while there, had a productive weekend. I felt really good about my pace and race Saturday. I'll post it this week, I did have a side bet with Ralph that I would beat Justin, I lost :( Looks like Lobster dinner for Ralph at the Runoffs :)

My apologies to Erik and Spencer, it was my call to go on rains today, I really blew it.   SRF was like 20 plus seconds off, I really thought the field would be split.. Considered that and the cars are not coming back to Memphis until July.. I played the safer choice. Being the only three  rains on the grid, I knew we were screwed immediately.. The outlap confirmed it. Making matters worse, I figured I would charge through madness with the extra grip of the wets and try to get to the front and lead a few laps before coming in.  Went off the first corner,  I scrubbed the mold release off the new wets and came in  :(

Runoffs will be really tight and a hell of a show

Other thoughts ...  I got to watch most of the second race. I don't know Michael Gagliardo at all, but he seemed to do a really nice job from where I was watching.  John Carter confirmed he has the largest attachments in SM, I don't think the runner up on that list is even on the same page :)

• Bench Racer, MPR22, Danny Steyn and 1 other like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

Congrats to my friend Justin for a weekend sweep. Justin had the weekend covered with a pole qualifier well under the existing track record. Several drivers were under the track record, the track conditions were good till it rained. Sunday was a challenge as the track was wet going to dry. 

Frank, you are killing my buzzzz. I'm older than you and just starting! LOL

I had a very enjoyable weekend. Met new friends and laughed a lot. I got faster ( notice I didn't say fast ). Thanks to Mr. Novak for the last minute advice on tire choice.

Still no website.

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Ps Ralph it's not the driver it's the car I don't care what your computer says ! Lol ! :)

I have your data. It's the driver.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

Here's my weekend recap. 

In summary: 

-Wow! Very fast group of racers turned out for this event, made for a lot of great racing all around. 

-$15k build ran decent. 

-Qualified 16 for Saturday race, finished 12th. 

-Cylinder head tech inspection on Saturday

-Sunday I was qualified 14th, finished 9th, but with a bit of a disappointing ending. 

Details below if you feel like reading a novel.

I chose not to run the practice day due to cost and vacation time, spent the first session Friday feeling out the track and the car again, didn't go very fast.  I tried a new setup this weekend, and while it seemed quick, it was very difficult for me to drive:  I couldn't trail brake corners without the rear stepping out.  Made some changes over the course of the weekend to try and improve it, but couldn't completely resolve the issue.  It was drivable, I just had to get off the brakes early, and ended up with a 'toss the car in' driving style.  This worked, just not my preferred method to get around the track.  Friday qualifying session I ran a 1:42.0 and was very happy when I saw this on the lap timer.  But it turns out everyone brought their A-game this weekend -> my time was only good for 16th position.  16 cars within 0.8 seconds of Justin’s pole lap time!  Never driven in a field of cars this tight before!!  SM is awesome.

I and everyone else were hoping to attempt to better their positions on the Saturday morning qualifier in cool ambient temperatures.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be a damp track and was a second or two off-pace.  Saturday race went smoothly for me, though not everyone unfortunately.  :(  I did lose quite a few positions at the start, but there was some attrition and also a few spun cars that I was able to pass.  Ended up 12th.  There were 23 cars with best laps within 1 second of Bolanos's fast lap!

12th...Lucky number 12.  That was the number for the lucky competitor who got to pull their cylinder head for tech inspection.  After first performing a stall test and checking the plate size, they gave me the option of sealing the head and pulling it after Sunday's race.  However, I wanted to get it out of the way so I went ahead and pulled it Saturday afternoon.  Took about 4.5 hours to get it off, inspected, reassembled, and back on the car.  Track people are awesome - thanks so much to all those who lent me tools or your time to assist with this task!  6 valves were removed from the engine to allow for compliance inspection.  Diameters and concentricity of the plunge and relief cuts were inspected, as were the short side radii, and valve stem installed heights, and whatever else they checked when I wasn't looking.  All was in spec!  Put it back together, and it started right up, and ran great for the Sunday race.  :)

Sunday it rained in the morning.  SRF was out before us, and turning very slow times due to the track conditions, thus making the tire decision difficult.  In the end, the sun began breaking through the clouds shortly before heading to grid, so dry tires were the way to go.  The track was perhaps ~5 or 6 seconds off pace for the first few laps, and eventually dried enough to bring lap times to within 1 or 1.5 seconds of normal.  The race start was rather chaotic.  From poor memory, a few cars went off track left, and the field had to check up.  I think there was another hiccup nearer the top of madness, that created a traffic jam, and there were several cars that had to come to a complete stop, although, I and about a dozen other cars made it through before this.  This traffic jam separated the top ~15 from the back half of the field.  I think anyway, I just remember looking in my mirror and wondering where everyone went!!  Hille and Michael pulled away from the main pack, with Max not too far behind.  The next ~9 of us for the most part remained as a train for much of the race. 

I should be feeling great after this weekend with solid finishes in a tough field with a brand new $15k car, but I'm not.  Sadly, I made a lapse of judgement towards the end of the race Sunday, and it's put a damper on my mood.  I bumped Kyle Webb trying to push us past another car, but I wasn't square enough behind him, and didn't realize he had a tire in the grass, and I ended up spinning him, and he hit a wall, and also caused a bit of damage to Jordan's car.  I feel terrible about the whole thing.  I have always tried to be as clean a driver as possible, and this irks me.  Certainly not how I wanted to start my first SM season, but will definitely learn from this mistake going forward.  Once again Kyle (and Jordan), I'm very sorry for my error and the time and money it will cost you.  Thank you both for being reasonable with me at the track. 

Congrats to Justin Hille for a dominant weekend with pole position and wins for both races!  Same to Max and Michael, great runs!  You too Jim. :)

Make sure to ask Hille for photos of his V2 Motorsports haircut that he got Saturday night!  hehe

• Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and Rob Burgoon like this

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
I collected a lot of data this week 1.6, 99 and VVT. From the samples I collected there I seen no clear advantage over any one year. Top 1.6 data was from Kuch and Matoy. I have had Maytoy car on my Dyno and it a solid example of 1.6 power. Maybe not the best of the best but close.
  • Jim Drago and Sean - MiataCage like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Since the results do not have car years on them, can someone in the know outline how the 1.6's attending did with the new performance enhancements allowed in 2016? Any drivers in 1.6 there in 2015 for Majors to compare times from year to year?

I know that when I raced at Mid Ohio back before it was repaved, it was almost impossible to pass a car equal in performance without moving him over with the bumper. Has the new pavement helped that?

Interesting watching the wrecker drop Kyle Webb's car coming into tech and it run into rear of wrecker. Strap holing up one side broke. They had the straps through each front wheel and an outrigger holding it. Weird! Never saw that before.

Chris Ashcraft

Chris Ashcraft

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:NEO
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:76

As the fastest and highest placing 1.6 of the weekend, i would disagree with (38bfast), while the 1.6 is no underdog and can hold its own but  there are some very clear advantages from the 99 and vvt. If the track, temp, stars and moon all aligned with a perfect engine and driver yes i think a 1.6 could win (if it started on the pole and got some help from someone else). For instance yesterday on a damp track turn 1 was very slippery, i had to slow down and then the 99 and vvt would just motor be out of the turn. The 1.6 is just like everyone says you have to drive perfect be perfect and everything has to be perfect. But i love driving it and will still be bringing it to the runoffs for fun. 

Overall a great weekend and had lots of fun and met great people, its will most certainly be a great runoffs.

On a side bar this is my first year running the majors and while i know shit happens in racing i am pretty disappointed in some of the driving i have seen at the 3 events i have attended. 

Will post my vid of the the first turn drama this evening.

Thanks for all the help from everyone!!

• M.Tanz and EMatoy like this

EMatoy

EMatoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Number:73

As the fastest and highest placing 1.6 of the weekend, i would disagree with (38bfast), while the 1.6 is no underdog and can hold its own but there are some very clear advantages from the 99 and vvt. If the track, temp, stars and moon all aligned with a perfect engine and driver yes i think a 1.6 could win (if it started on the pole and got some help from someone else). For instance yesterday on a damp track turn 1 was very slippery, i had to slow down and then the 99 and vvt would just motor be out of the turn. The 1.6 is just like everyone says you have to drive perfect be perfect and everything has to be perfect. But i love driving it and will still be bringing it to the runoffs for fun.

Overall a great weekend and had lots of fun and met great people, its will most certainly be a great runoffs.

On a side bar this is my first year running the majors and while i know shit happens in racing i am pretty disappointed in some of the driving i have seen at the 3 events i have attended.

Will post my vid of the the first turn drama this evening.

Thanks for all the help from everyone!!

Chris- As a fellow 1.6 guy I agree the car is not an overdog- however I do not agree that the 99 and VVT has a clear advantage either. My data shows the car is really where it should be and very equal.

You were the fastest 1.6 but not by much- only 0.066 ahead of my best Saturday. Sunday I was 1.6 seconds faster than you- I needed 1 more lap to pass you.

My clear limitation at this point is me- not the car or that the other years have an advantage. I believe that the data shows this clearly. This is also why I had a top driver test my car to prove this.

Chris Ashcraft

Chris Ashcraft

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:NEO
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:76

Ematoy, i agree you were faster on sunday i made an adjustment for the wet start and it really hurt my times. I agree that i am sure their is someone out there that could make our cars win. The problem is i think with the current driver that i am i could not improve and be faster in a 99 or vvt. (is that good or bad who knows) The 1.6 are great cars and i love them super fun to drive. 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I collected a lot of data this week 1.6, 99 and VVT. From the samples I collected there I seen no clear advantage over any one year. Top 1.6 data was from Kuch and Matoy. I have had Maytoy car on my Dyno and it a solid example of 1.6 power. Maybe not the best of the best but close.

Ralph, Kuch and Eric were in the 1.6's. Who was in the 99 and VVT cars? Can you post your data similar to what the St Louis home boys did to validate your no clear advantage over any one year?

evan.pecore

evan.pecore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Car Number:21

Great competitive racing between everyone!  I think there were 15 cars or so all within 1 second of the pole qualifying time.

Unfortunately only 36 cars finished the race Sunday, as compared to the 52 that started the weekend.

Hope everyone is repaired in time for the sprints!

M.Tanz

M.Tanz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:ne
  • Car Number:20

To everyone that help! Hey guys, I am not usually one to write stuff but after this weekend I am not sure how I could not, for those who don't know ( which I most of you ) we blew apart the bottom end of the engine on Friday in Q1. We had just had an awesome Friday practice, I think I was only about 2.2 seconds off at the time of Jim for pole, which I was very happy about. was super excited to get to Q1 and Q2 and see what would happen. This is only my second year in SM and we are still learning.......What I want to say, is, I am amazed and truly feel part of a new family since joining SM last year. I am not sure I could even come up with the names of everyone that assisted or tried to assist this weekend to get me back on the track ( which did not happen, partly my choice ). The weekend was not what I expected and yes, it was very depressing, especially watching the amazing races Saturday and Sunday with Justin and Max and the guys battling the whole weekend, it was fun and gave me a different perspective and motivated me even more to get my ass back out there asap, maybe not the Runoffs now :(. But knowing all of the support and love that comes with this group is amazing. So, enough of my sappy crap, but I want to say thanks, and I am sorry if I missed someone, but I truly cannot thank you all enough...

Mom

Dad

Jesse

Gary

Jake

John

Leanne

Chris Ashcraft

James Henson

Alex Bolanos

Corey Collum

John Carter

Jim Drago

Allan

even the puppy who annoyed most of us at one time or another.

Jim K

PS. if anyone might know of whom l gave a Flywheel to on Saturday that would be awesome! Would like to see about getting it back.

• Todd Green and Danica Davison like this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Great competitive racing between everyone!  I think there were 15 cars or so all within 1 second of the pole qualifying time.

Unfortunately only 36 cars finished the race Sunday, as compared to the 52 that started the weekend.

Hope everyone is repaired in time for the sprints!

top 10 starting possitions on sunday were within .3 of pole!!!

• Danny Steyn likes this

K. Webb