Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Mr. Creighton, et al, I like NASA's system - anyone, regardless of fault, must file an incident report after metal-to-metal. Then a review board comprised of officials and drivers review the reports to determine fault and assign penalties. What prevents the SCCA from instituting a similar system?

-Denny

+ one bajillion.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
I found voytec this weekend

Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

gsparks

gsparks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
Proving that good drivers can win in anything, the weekend after Road Atlanta, Eric Foss won a World Challenge GTS race in a Mustang. (Just in case anyone missed it, you can watch it on World-Challengetv.com).
Congratulations, Eric.

Krafty

Krafty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:mid west
  • Car Number:46
Sorry Charbs,the real Voytec can be found at youtube.com under (How do you test your air bags)

(sorry don't know now to link it.)

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
Love YouTube.

The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92
this thread needs MORE COWBELL

Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Love YouTube.

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

B) :D

Lance Snyder

Lance Snyder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
How many folks in favor of NASA's system would be willing to put in the extra work required to make it happen in SCCA? And that means you'll be doing ALL classes, not just SM. Part of that question is how many of you that would be willing to help are currently doing one of the many duties prior and during a race weekend to pull things off? Whether it be pace car driver, stewarding, marshalling, etc? What about race chair? And remember, should SCCA go this route it'll be a nationwide deal so we are going to need a lot of peeps stepping up.
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

How many folks in favor of NASA's system would be willing to put in the extra work required to make it happen in SCCA? And that means you'll be doing ALL classes, not just SM. Part of that question is how many of you that would be willing to help are currently doing one of the many duties prior and during a race weekend to pull things off? Whether it be pace car driver, stewarding, marshalling, etc? What about race chair? And remember, should SCCA go this route it'll be a nationwide deal so we are going to need a lot of peeps stepping up.

One thing to clarify, someone said that you gotta do paperwork for any metal to metal with NASA. Not true.

In NASA it doesn't count as contact unless

A. someone gets knocked off line
or
B. enough cosmetic damage to make NASA tell you to fix your car

So bump drafting isn't contact, door handle to door handle swipes aren't contact, and if someone breaks your suspension and you don't lose control, that's not contact either.

Not complaining, not cheering, just clarifying.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

bizarro

bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
Me thinks nun 2 funni stuf in dem racing - be safe.
Me first post sez peace out all!
>> biZaRro #1 <<

bizarro

bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

u say it rite bro - good points all!! +1
>> biZaRro #1 <<

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Well - I witnessed NASA's system first hand at Mid-O. All cars with metal-to-metal (bump-drafting or minor "no harm/no foul" contact excluded) reported to impound. 2-3 NASA tech personnel handed-out and collected accident report forms, videotaped damage and collected any other evidence. NASA judgements were swift, and in one case maybe too harsh - BUT, like I said before, at most SCCA events I see 2, 3, 4 guys sitting in tech shooting the breeze, I don't think asking them to collect damage reports/evidence is an extreme request. NASA system is not perfect, but SCCA has NO system.

-Denny

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Well - I witnessed NASA's system first hand at Mid-O. All cars with metal-to-metal (bump-drafting or minor "no harm/no foul" contact excluded) reported to impound. 2-3 NASA tech personnel handed-out and collected accident report forms, videotaped damage and collected any other evidence. NASA judgements were swift, and in one case maybe too harsh - BUT, like I said before, at most SCCA events I see 2, 3, 4 guys sitting in tech shooting the breeze, I don't think asking them to collect damage reports/evidence is an extreme request. NASA system is not perfect, but SCCA has NO system.

-Denny

Denny
That happened year one at Mid Ohio. I went in 07 and many including myself were disappointed when it didn't happen again. 08 was my last year there, half the field was involved here in contact. Many received heavy damage in Stasioskis wreck including me, no papers at all. Many left that weekend very disappointed by the lack of penalties handed out. I think Tard swore NASA off for two years because of it. I would agree it worked well in 06. SCCA does have a system, you protest if you feel a driver wronged you on track. Neither is perfect, both organizations can and should do better.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Jim, I should have clarified. I was speaking about the NASA event at Mid-O two weeks ago, utilizing NASA's new contact policy, which, at least for GreatLakes, is in effect at all events, not just the Nationals.

My frustration with the SCCA comes from being on the receiving end of contact a couple times, protesting, only to be told "it's a racing incident".

-Denny

P.S. Could someone please explain, in small words so my pea-brain comprehends, why must a bond be posted to file a right to racing room (or similar) protest?

bizarro

bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

...why must a bond be posted to file a right to racing room (or similar) protest?

1) if free it be done all time - much waste of SOM time.
2) kill bad faith - u lose $$$ if not well-founded.
3) pay to hassle bad girls in pink cars.
>> biZaRro #1 <<

Terry Hanushek

Terry Hanushek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Region:South Jersey
Denny

P.S. Could someone please explain, in small words so my pea-brain comprehends, why must a bond be posted to file a right to racing room (or similar) protest?

In SCCA, there is no bond required for a protest involving a driving incident. There is a nominal protest fee ($25 at a regional, $50 at a National) to serve as a 'sincerity check' to minimize frivolous protests. If the protest is upheld, the fee returned; even if the protest is denied, the fee is returned in many cases if the stewards consider the protest 'well founded' (reasonable).

A protest bond is required if expenses will be incurred during an inspection (disassembly required, third party fuel test, etc.).

HTH

Terry

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Regardless, dangerous or out-of-control driving should not require a protest for a steward to take action - in fact when I started with the SCCA 10 years ago they still made notations in log-books and drivers with metal-to-metal were called to see the CS. Somewhere along to way the SCCA stopped doing this.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Regardless, dangerous or out-of-control driving should not require a protest for a steward to take action - in fact when I started with the SCCA 10 years ago they still made notations in log-books and drivers with metal-to-metal were called to see the CS. Somewhere along to way the SCCA stopped doing this.

So have you discussed your wishes with your division's leadership to have some changes made to make the process more to you and your fellow racers liking? What did they say?

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA