Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

As many cars as we have built, I have never put a car together that did not get 3.3-3.5 degrees negative camber at a normal ride height in the rear (4 1/2 in at pinch weld) at the rear. That is with no special tricks or black magic.  I am sure that others like Steve have seen this and for whatever reason cant get there. But my experience would lead me to believe in most instances it should be obtainable. I have seen MANY running camber numbers in the rear that I KNEW was not available within the rules and brought it to techs attention in February or March. It was checked at Cota this year as well.  We have all added camber over the years and what was 3.0-3.2 in the front and 2.8 - 3.0 in the rear has morphed into 4 and 4 in many cases.  I don't think these numbers are something we should strive for, I also don't think specing a camber is a good idea for the reasons mentioned above. However, I don't think we need any help in the rear with more rules changes or additional parts either.  Not a good place to be.. but I think getting back to numbers under 3.5 would be a good direction. 

• FTodaro and Danica Davison like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

As many cars as we have built, I have never put a car together that did not get 3.3-3.5 degrees negative camber at a normal ride height in the rear (4 1/2 in at pinch weld) at the rear. That is with no special tricks or black magic.  I am sure that others like Steve have seen this and for whatever reason cant get there. But my experience would lead me to believe in most instances it should be obtainable. I have seen MANY running camber numbers in the rear that I KNEW was not available within the rules and brought it to techs attention in February or March. It was checked at Cota this year as well.  We have all added camber over the years and what was 3.0-3.2 in the front and 2.8 - 3.0 in the rear has morphed into 4 and 4 in many cases.  I don't think these numbers are something we should strive for, I also don't think specing a camber is a good idea for the reasons mentioned above. However, I don't think we need any help in the rear with more rules changes or additional parts either.  Not a good place to be.. but I think getting back to numbers under 3.5 would be a good direction. 

I dont care if we make it legal to slot or camber bushings, or not at all either way I am fine with it...  

However I am not for writing more damn rules to enforce like some stupid camber rule that will frustrate the hell out of everyone in the field if done it tech every weekend, We have a hard enough time enforcing the damn rules we have! witnessed every year by yet another area being exploited!  

This was not a case of a grey area exploit, it was a case of a rule completly disobeyed by a competitor, there was already a rule in place "do not modify"!  

It is is easy to tech and not invasive at all.  I think it is being done by more then just the one man that was caught!  But often times unless your at a super tour there little to no tech...

• Armando Ramirez, mhiggins10, Danica Davison and 1 other like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I will agree with Jim and Kyle. NO NEW RULES

My cars can get 3.5+ on all of them. But I have jigs to measure every component for stock dimensions. If you can not get the numbers you want, something is bent.

My cams do not get you more camber. They make it easier to get max camber. The slots in the subframe are the determining factor. Mazda cams rotate a full 360*. meaning the bolt is not forced all the way out to the edge of the slot. To get max camber (or caster at the front) you need to pry the bolt to the edge of the slot. My cams are slightly offset from factory and will not fully rotate. This means the bolt is maxed out against the slot. The slot does not change, so the total available camber does not change. It just makes it easier to get max.

My guess is that some teams are running set-ups that want more rear camber. Thus they do some creative engineering. Work within the rules to make the car handle and you won't have this problem.

Dave

• john mueller, Alberto, Jim Drago and 3 others like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Steyn, RRP, OPM, we are all to blame. No-one else. I made a poor decision that will cost us dearly.

As the driver I take full responsibility. It is always ultimately my decision. There are winners and learners, and this, believe me, is one incredibly painful learning lesson for us all.

Tech was exceptional. The way they handled everything was detailed, thorough and professional.

• Mike Collins, john mueller, Mark and 4 others like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

How about we move the camber discussion to its own thread? Discussion is also going on in the 2017 Runoffs Smack thread.Though I don't think a rule change is warranted (yet) this topic certainly deserves further discussion and getting all the comments in one place would be a good thing. 

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

I will agree with Jim and Kyle. NO NEW RULES

My cars can get 3.5+ on all of them. But I have jigs to measure every component for stock dimensions. If you can not get the numbers you want, something is bent.

My cams do not get you more camber. They make it easier to get max camber. The slots in the subframe are the determining factor. Mazda cams rotate a full 360*. meaning the bolt is not forced all the way out to the edge of the slot. To get max camber (or caster at the front) you need to pry the bolt to the edge of the slot. My cams are slightly offset from factory and will not fully rotate. This means the bolt is maxed out against the slot. The slot does not change, so the total available camber does not change. It just makes it easier to get max.

My guess is that some teams are running set-ups that want more rear camber. Thus they do some creative engineering. Work within the rules to make the car handle and you won't have this problem.

Dave

Where does it say in the rules that we can use non-mazda cams that sound visibly different?  I would assume this is very similar to using non-fat cat bump stop kits?

• john mueller likes this

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Where does it say in the rules that we can use non-mazda cams that sound visibly different?  I would assume this is very similar to using non-fat cat bump stop kits?

Nuts and bolts are open...???

• Muda likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Among all the threads and comments that have been posted with regards to Danny and his disqualification...I appreciate some positive things I see...mostly a lack of real piling on by many people...especially silence from those who have been caught up in similar situations!

A few who seem to have made it personal I understand..."teams/shops" stick together and it would seem there is no lack of rivalry(bad blood) in the Florida region and some obvious past grievances that now are flooding out(no pun intended).

It doesn't matter "who" was responsible for the illegal part and "who" new about it. Danny has made no excuses and a very black and white apology. He has and will suffer the consequences(along with others)...and I for one find no glee in this. But rules are rules and the penalty is just. Getting caught up in "severity" or no "performance gain" changes nothing current or in the past! Just my 2 cents worth a penny.

Steyn, RRP, OPM, we are all to blame. No-one else. I made a poor decision that will cost us dearly.

As the driver I take full responsibility. It is always ultimately my decision. There are winners and learners, and this, believe me, is one incredibly painful learning lesson for us all.

Tech was exceptional. The way they handled everything was detailed, thorough and professional.

• dstevens likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

There's a rule about "similar" fasteners being legal but it's not handy to cite right now. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

There's a rule about "similar" fasteners being legal but it's not handy to cite right now. 

Dave

These aftermarket eccentric bolts are not "similar fasteners" if they are "slightly offset from factory and will not fully rotate".

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

OPM & RRP, I'm sorry Danny could not un-implicate you guys.

Now is the time for you clean your house up, change your policy of looking the other way and come back from this better than before.  It's not worth the stigma of being a cheater.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

These aftermarket eccentric bolts are not "similar fasteners" if they are "slightly offset from factory and will not fully rotate".

Similar does not equal identical and I'm pretty sure Dave has gotten SCCA approval on the legality of the bolts and they have likely passed tech in the past. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

OPM and RRP have zero blame. Doesn't matter if they did the work or knew about it. Shops don't enter races, cars and drivers do. Doesn't matter if Danny asked for it specifically or asked for a winning car in general.

It was out of compliance, penalty was given. Thats it. Move on to the next race.

• dstevens and CruzanTom like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

OPM and RRP have zero blame. Doesn't matter if they did the work or knew about it. Shops don't enter races, cars and drivers do. Doesn't matter if Danny asked for it specifically or asked for a winning car in general.

It was out of compliance, penalty was given. Thats it. Move on to the next race.

I could not disagree with you more James...  Put yourself in a position of managing this class and your opinion would probably change.

• Very few of those getting on the podium for these sort of 'big races' are the "DIY guys" (Sammy V always was).  
  • The offending shops are a big part of the problem, by going along with it (Danny @ INDY Runoffs) or doing it when the owner/driver is unaware (several @ the Laguna Runoffs & in SoCal Club).  

So until there are teeth in the punishment beyond the Driver/Owner this bullshit will continue...  SM will continue to be way awesome on track while still owning the cheater's reputation that is deserved.

:devil:   And everyone FLAME away...   I DGAF and won't be responding cuz I no longer DGAF.     :devil:

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

I could not disagree with you more James...  Put yourself in a position of managing this class and your opinion would probably change.

• Very few of those getting on the podium for these sort of 'big races' are the "DIY guys" (Sammy V always was).  
  • The offending shops are a big part of the problem, by going along with it (Danny @ INDY Runoffs) or doing it when the owner/driver is unaware (several @ the Laguna Runoffs & in SoCal Club).  

So until there are teeth in the punishment beyond the Driver/Owner this bullshit will continue...  SM will continue to be way awesome on track while still owning the cheater's reputation that is deserved.

:devil:   And everyone FLAME away...   I DGAF and won't be responding cuz I no longer DGAF.     :devil:

John, did you have a bowl of nails for breakfast?

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

SCCA isn't going to be in a position to penalize anyone but members.  They'd have to "license" or require memberships from builders, suppliers, etc to enforce beyond the driver.  That's not going to be practical.  Even then the only penalty could be not allowing them at the track.  There is nothing they could do with respect to not allowing members to do business with them.  I think in this case word of mouth is the best deterrent to keep the shops in line.  For example how many of you would allow Sammy to build or field your car? 

• Jim Drago and Jamz14 like this

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

John, he was DQed. What more do you want? When people get tired of being DQed, then they will choose to go to a different shop and offending shop is out of business. What more do you want? This is the American way.

What we need is better tools to check things. When it becomes fast and easy to check a car for compliance, then shops will have a harder and harder time doing weird stuff. If we want to focus on something, focus on things that aren't being checked. Spend some time on the ECU or something. The system worked. None of this bothers me any more. STR gate and now UCA gate. Next year something else. This is racing.

And as far as the drivers not knowing: I don't believe it. They may not be aware of what specifically is being done. But they know that the car is "special". Shops don't build special cars for people that don't want a special car. I was specifically asked what kind of car I wanted when approaching a shop. It was my choice to say I wanted the fastest legal engine allowed. It is not against the law to build something other than that. There is a predetermined penalty to doing something outside the rules. That penalty was applied fairly. Asking for something beyond that is what isn't fair.

Next race.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

John, did you have a bowl of nails for breakfast?

Tom,

I stepped away, not looking at anything SM related for pretty much a year...  I come back to watch how awesome the INDY Runoffs is gonna be and the same old bullshit happens, tarnishing what was an absolutely epic event and SM race.

I had to censor myself for the past 9yrs on where I (and many in racing leadership) KNOW where the core/cause of the problem is.  It's the Shops that enable or create this stuff.  Just look at the rules creep...  It all drives revenue into the shops, many are alive because of this stuff.  

So now that I am 18+ months from my role in NASA and just about fully out of everything racing related I feel I can finally speak my mind.  

Add in suspensions (trackside support revenue loss) for the shops and the majority of this cheating and rules creep will stop. 

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

The cam is an eccentric washer.  The bolt is simply a bolt though specific to the application.  I don't see how it could be defined as anything but a fastener.  If one were to carry that to other fasteners what would stop the rules to prohibit changing a 6 point to a 12 point, or a hex head cap screw to a bolt?  If cam bolts and washers exempted I think it would have to be called out in the rules.

Nick Soriano

Nick Soriano

Kenny MF Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:30
Maybe I’m too new to vehicle dynamics but isn’t the reason we search for the extra camber because of the tire??

The SM7 won’t be around forever. Wouldn’t it be better to talk to Hoosier and tell them what we want?

We want it to last 6 cycles instead of 3. Want it to be just as good at 3 degrees as 3.5. Want it to have a bit less lateral grip.

If we talk to Hoosier about the “SM8” then we can cut down on a lot of the problems we are talking about.

Correct me if I’m wrong though. But that’s the way I see it.
  • tynor and Finchy like this

#30 2001 Spec Miata

Autotechnik/ 5X Racing/ GlowShift Gauges

#ItCouldBeYou

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users