Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

The cam is an eccentric washer.  The bolt is simply a bolt though specific to the application.  I don't see how it could be defined as anything but a fastener.  If one were to carry that to other fasteners what would stop the rules to prohibit changing a 6 point to a 12 point, or a hex head cap screw to a bolt?  If cam bolts and washers exempted I think it would have to be called out in the rules.

From and engineering standpoint I would say the cam is more than an eccentric washer. Its a cam. It's primary purpose to to drive the screw inboard/outboard to adjust camber. However, it cannot give more camber that the control arm will allow and as Dave said the same camber can be achieved with a stock bolt. If you slide a screwdriver tip between the stock cam and the control arm tab or if you pry the control arm over you can get the same results. Wouldn't be a bad idea to address it in the GCR just to remove any doubt.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

A cam washer is a specific type of eccentric washer.  An eccentric washer functions to position a bolt or screw.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Tom,
I stepped away, not looking at anything SM related for pretty much a year...  I come back to watch how awesome the INDY Runoffs is gonna be and the same old bullshit happens, tarnishing what was an absolutely epic event and SM race.

I had to censor myself for the past 9yrs on where I (and many in racing leadership) KNOW where the core/cause of the problem is.  It's the Shops that enable or create this stuff.  Just look at the rules creep...  It all drives revenue into the shops, many are alive because of this stuff.  

So now that I am 18+ months from my role in NASA and just about fully out of everything racing related I feel I can finally speak my mind.  

Add in suspensions (trackside support revenue loss) for the shops and the majority of this cheating and rules creep will stop.

Oh come on. This is taking it too far. It is JUST AS EASY to cheat up a car if you are a DIY driver. It actually might even be EASIER because the person may make mistakes as they may not know all the rules as well an experienced builder ... and/or ... a prep shop isn't looking at the car more closely and letting the driver know of any wrongdoing before they get to the tech shed. It makes it easier to intentionally put illegal modifications on your car when no other set of eyes is looking at it...

If the same shop is being caught for cheating over and over again ... then customers will go to different shops. SCCA/NASA penalizing the shops is not the answer. Let the customers control their fate.

And I don't think the event was tarnished at all. Preston won in a LEGAL car from bumper to bumper. Selin and Haldeman had LEGAL cars. It is not the "same old bullshit" like we saw in 2014 ... we had ONE car that had an illegal modification and it didn't even win.

I seriously doubt that Danny didn't know that was on the car, no matter who put it on.  If he knew it and he let it go, then that is his responsibility to do the right thing. He will learn his lesson, and I hope for his sake, and for the whole SM community's sake ... that he won't do it again.

• av8tor likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Do you think this is something Tech would of caught fairly easily and was stupid to try to get away with it or maybe somebody dropped a dime ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Do you think this is something Tech would of caught fairly easily and was stupid to try to get away with it or maybe somebody dropped a dime ?

J~

This was teched at Cota in March. I think it was clear that it was something tech was going to look at. 

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

If the same shop is being caught for cheating over and over again ... then customers will go to different shops. SCCA/NASA penalizing the shops is not the answer. Let the customers control their fate.

What utopia do you live in? I would say more often than not it's the client driving the shop :)

There has been mention of bump stops...was there a ruling on this in tech?? Can someone elaborate? 

Someone mentioned the theory behind this(softer) would be to allow a truer spring rate...and lower the car. I think we are already pretty limited by a wheel well!?

EDIT...just saw the other thread!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:CCR
  • Car Number:04
The fact that the control arms were non-compliant has been established. I am curious to know if the rear camber was checked before tear down to determine if it was in the normal -3.4 to -3.6 range or if it was substantially greater. My point being, the DQ is warranted based on a non-compliant parts but if the camber was in the “acceptable” range, did they really provide a competitive advantage?

Awesome drive by all SM drivers involved.
  • Steve Scheifler likes this
Seneca Motorsports

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

damn

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

The fact that the control arms were non-compliant has been established. I am curious to know if the rear camber was checked before tear down to determine if it was in the normal -3.4 to -3.6 range or if it was substantially greater. My point being, the DQ is warranted based on a non-compliant parts but if the camber was in the “acceptable” range, did they really provide a competitive advantage?

A thief came into my house last week and stole my big screen...but he gave it to charity therefore had no gain from his actions...still a thief?

• Bench Racer, Jim Drago, Tim Wright and 1 other like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Chris Lefferdink

Chris Lefferdink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Number:12

It isn’t that simple. Suppose the modification allowed them to run a higher rear ride height while still obtaining “acceptable” camber? Yes I realize you can check ride height AND camber. I’m just making the point that determining whether the camber was in an “acceptable” range or not isn’t sufficient to determine if an advantage was gained.
  • Jim Drago, powerss, Danica Davison and 1 other like this

Tim Wright

Tim Wright

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:#14

I could not disagree with you more James...  Put yourself in a position of managing this class and your opinion would probably change.

• Very few of those getting on the podium for these sort of 'big races' are the "DIY guys" (Sammy V always was).  
  • The offending shops are a big part of the problem, by going along with it (Danny @ INDY Runoffs) or doing it when the owner/driver is unaware (several @ the Laguna Runoffs & in SoCal Club).  
So until there are teeth in the punishment beyond the Driver/Owner this bullshit will continue...  SM will continue to be way awesome on track while still owning the cheater's reputation that is deserved.

:devil:   And everyone FLAME away...   I DGAF and won't be responding cuz I no longer DGAF.     :devil:

Right!..... This wasn't just modify the control to get to legal camber #s because of a possibly bent car. This was the illegal mod AND non-compliant bump stops.! Go race with Sammy.

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:CCR
  • Car Number:04
Ron, I never said the DQ wasn’t justified.

Chris, thanks for the explanation.
Seneca Motorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Ron, I never said the DQ wasn’t justified.

Chris, thanks for the explanation.

Agreed...but I feel "competitive advantage or not" has no point in the same paragraph with a DQ justification. It is more useful in a rules change discussion...my only point!  :peace1:

Ron

RAmotorsports

BorisB

BorisB

Polak Mafia Drug Lord and Avid Stamp Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:102

Were both sides "modified" or just one ?

Boris Badenof

Autotechnik's pet that sleeps in the crate outside

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

So ... I would like to request $40 from Danny Steyn. I lost $40 on a bet with Jim Drago for losing to Danny at Daytona back in August ... and I find it unfair that I lost to a non-compliant car. I would have won if it wasn't for those control arms. I will accept cash, check, or venmo for payment. Thank you.

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

So ... I would like to request $40 from Danny Steyn. I lost $40 on a bet with Jim Drago for losing to Danny at Daytona back in August ... and I find it unfair that I lost to a non-compliant car. I would have won if it wasn't for those control arms. I will accept cash, check, or venmo for payment. Thank you.

• Danica Davison likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I forget on what bet you lost $20 to me, but when you get this $40, please forward my $20. :bigsquaregrin:

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Is this a kind of off track betting? Need to check Florida laws Code section 849.1 et. seq,: 550.001 et. seq. I believe the limit per bet is $10 so I'll save you by taking the excess over $10. If the bet was made outside Florida, there maybe even more limitations. If betting was on track, there is a cut due the state. You may need to consult a good CPA. :banana:

And the beat goes on, la de da de da....

• Jim Drago and Richard Astacio like this

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Is this a kind of off track betting? Need to check Florida laws Code section 849.1 et. seq,: 550.001 et. seq. I believe the limit per bet is $10 so I'll save you by taking the excess over $10. If the bet was made outside Florida, there maybe even more limitations. If betting was on track, there is a cut due the state. You may need to consult a good CPA. :banana:

I think Danica is banking on being a CPA since his racing career is not as exciting as his post. 

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

$40 and on track 4 times that weekend. $10 per session which matches the limit :P  come on .. finding loop holes is an accountant's job !

• Jim Drago, Richard Astacio and lillyweld like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users