Photo

So are we not going to talk about the new/pending shocks rules then?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Ok, its been a while since I was able to win a majors, but I have one plenty of regionals and finished ahead of the 16 national champion... My shocks are for sale immediatly after any event I win. I will take $125 each, plus you hand me new shocks in the box to put on the car.  That fair enough????

Am I allowed to bounce your car first to determine compliance? :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Am I allowed to bounce your car first to determine compliance? :)

yes

• Jim Drago likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

5 pages and 82 posts (now 83)...I think we can answer the question in the subject header:  "yes, we are." 

We may not have wanted to, or felt it had any value....but, through the mud we have been dragged. 

• Danica Davison and av8tor like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Your assertion that shocks are more important in autox than road racing.  But you knew that.  Now you're just trying to weasel out of having said it.

no, i am not.

testing would be required for optimization, revalving or binning would be the method to get there. 

seriously, i have no idea what you trying to argue about at this point. 

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Lively discussion if a bit unnecessarily harsh at times.  It seems to me that there has been some truth spoken from all sides but the average person might find it difficult to separate that from the uninformed, misinformed and hyperbole. 

If an aspiring driver being interviewed as part of the Road to 24 competition or by a pro team says something to the effect that shocks aren't very important, he will not receive high marks for technical setup knowledge.  And yet, I am confident that Jim's money is perfectly safe even if someone is foolish enough to take him up on his challenge.  There is a chasm between what is being claimed at either extreme and as usual the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The shocks are just one part of a system, the suspension system and to some degree the chassis. They are an important part, but they can do no more for you than is possible given the sum of the other parts.  That sounds obvious enough but now apply that to what we have in SM.  We are racing street cars which despite being impressive over-achievers are still far from purpose built race cars.  The upgraded springs, shocks and bars were selected for their availability, affordability and simplicity, not because they were anywhere near optimal collectively.  And it's collectively that matters.  There is no such thing as the "best" shock unless you already know the spring.  And likewise the anti-sways bars without knowing the others (in my book, if starting from scratch the bars come last, are relatively small and primarily for fine tuning).  In addition to the spec parts we are not allowed to correct issues with suspension geometry which result from lowering the car, which has a profound impact on the roll center and in turn how well the other parts function and what will function best.  It is a team, and they must play well together.

Over the years and with each change of tires people have found the sweet spots for the few adjustments that we are allowed, primarily height, camber, caster and toe.  Again, it's a system, one that you are trying to balance to your liking and you can't really talk meaningfully about what's best for any one of those without considering the rest.  A real race car is magnitudes more complex because it has so many more variables that can be controlled over broad ranges.  For us it is by design relatively simple to "optimize" what we are given even though the result is far from optimal by most standards.  So picture the system, each part and adjustment set to work as well as it can given the limitations imposed by the others.  What do you suppose happens when you pull out one piece of that system and replace it with a "better" piece but touch nothing else?  Did the person designing the better piece take your entire system and its flaws into account and then recommend other changes to re-optimize for this better piece?  I'm not surprised that people would be underwhelmed with reworked shocks if they just slap them on with no other changes.  And that "better" shock may actually be far worse if it was designed without due consideration of our specific issues or for a car with more flexibility in modifications and adjustments.  So Dave's experiment with adjustable race shocks yielding 0.2 improvement sounds reasonable for what I assume was very few attempts at getting driver feedback then adjusting them and trying again, and with few if any other adjustments.  It tells me that with an appropriately experienced driver and crew there is more to be gained, but the resulting shock settings might well be far out of spec so Jim's money would still be safe. (Edit: No slight on Dave here, I know his past include lot's of experience with real race cars.)

And this ties back in to the other raging topic, camber and whether to allow more adjustment.  Because of the impact on suspension geometry and therefore on springs, shocks and bars, ride height is a critical component of our system.  If people finding or fudging their way to more camber are using it to raise the car a bit for better geometry, that's likely to change how well the other components work and perhaps require another rethink of the optimal shock valving.  It would be interesting to first raise the car a few turns, reset camber to a reasonable baseline, then repeat the exercise re-tuning the entire system rather than just the shocks.  But that would require many sessions to do properly and would be totally useless to our class other than demonstrating that shocks do matter.

The bottom line is that in the right hands shocks can make a huge difference, but not likely from a simple swap into our typical setup.  In our case, if you have the SM package optimized to your liking and can drive it to the limit, then changing the shocks to someone else's formula and making no other adjustments is unlikely to impress you as a big improvement, and may just make you slower as some have said.  Even if you re-optimize the rest of the system (within the rules) the best you can hope for is relatively small, the rest of the system still sorta sucks.  So forget talk of a full second from a shock that passes even the earlier specs, the simple test of countless races over the years is proof enough, but if a total re-tune around those tweaked shocks is worth a solid 0.2 at his next majors, I'd probably bet Jim his $5k that he wouldn't give that up happily. :)   It doesn't have to be an 1 second issue to be a relevant issue.

gerglmuff2, I think Peter has been exceptionally harsh on you primarily for your use of certain terminology, but that aside there obviously are some significant differences between road racing and auto-x and it seems reasonable for you to examine those.  What you seemed not to consider when contemplating where shocks make a bigger difference is in the comparatively long stretches between corners where shocks aren't doing much but you are "banking" time saved as the result of improved exit speed.  We are indeed spending far less time working the shocks under cornering loads but even a slight improvement exiting a corner pays dividends long after the shocks are out of the picture.  That can be just as important as time spent in the corner, and often far more.   Anyway, stick around, more voices from people willing to think, discuss and rethink is good IMO.

• dstevens, Jim Drago, Armando Ramirez and 6 others like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

I actually read the entire post above...thank you for your time and explaining..

Steve what do you do for a living?

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

Your assertion that shocks are more important in autox than road racing.  But you knew that.  Now you're just trying to weasel out of having said it.

i have said it in every post since. 

Lively discussion if a bit unnecessarily harsh at times.  It seems to me that there has been some truth spoken from all sides but the average person might find it difficult to separate that from the uninformed, misinformed and hyperbole. 

If an aspiring driver being interviewed as part of the Road to 24 competition or by a pro team says something to the effect that shocks aren't very important, he will not receive high marks for technical setup knowledge.  And yet, I am confident that Jim's money is perfectly safe even if someone is foolish enough to take him up on his challenge.  There is a chasm between what is being claimed at either extreme and as usual the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The shocks are just one part of a system, the suspension system and to some degree the chassis. They are an important part, but they can do no more for you than is possible given the sum of the other parts.  That sounds obvious enough but now apply that to what we have in SM.  We are racing street cars which despite being impressive over-achievers are still far from purpose built race cars.  The upgraded springs, shocks and bars were selected for their availability, affordability and simplicity, not because they were anywhere near optimal collectively.  And it's collectively that matters.  There is no such thing as the "best" shock unless you already know the spring.  And likewise the anti-sways bars without knowing the others (in my book, if starting from scratch the bars come last, are relatively small and primarily for fine tuning).  In addition to the spec parts we are not allowed to correct issues with suspension geometry which result from lowering the car, which has a profound impact on the roll center and in turn how well the other parts function and what will function best.  It is a team, and they must play well together.

Over the years and with each change of tires people have found the sweet spots for the few adjustments that we are allowed, primarily height, camber, caster and toe.  Again, it's a system, one that you are trying to balance to your liking and you can't really talk meaningfully about what's best for any one of those without considering the rest.  A real race car is magnitudes more complex because it has so many more variables that can be controlled over broad ranges.  For us it is by design relatively simple to "optimize" what we are given even though the result is far from optimal by most standards.  So picture the system, each part and adjustment set to work as well as it can given the limitations imposed by the others.  What do you suppose happens when you pull out one piece of that system and replace it with a "better" piece but touch nothing else?  Did the person designing the better piece take your entire system and its flaws into account and then recommend other changes to re-optimize for this better piece?  I'm not surprised that people would be underwhelmed with reworked shocks if they just slap them on with no other changes.  And that "better" shock may actually be far worse if it was designed without due consideration of our specific issues or for a car with more flexibility in modifications and adjustments.  So Dave's experiment with adjustable race shocks yielding 0.2 improvement sounds reasonable for what I assume was very few attempts at getting driver feedback then adjusting them and trying again, and with few if any other adjustments.  It tells me that with an appropriately experienced driver and crew there is more to be gained, but the resulting shock settings might well be far out of spec so Jim's money would still be safe. (Edit: No slight on Dave here, I know his past include lot's of experience with real race cars.)

And this ties back in to the other raging topic, camber and whether to allow more adjustment.  Because of the impact on suspension geometry and therefore on springs, shocks and bars, ride height is a critical component of our system.  If people finding or fudging their way to more camber are using it to raise the car a bit for better geometry, that's likely to change how well the other components work and perhaps require another rethink of the optimal shock valving.  It would be interesting to first raise the car a few turns, reset camber to a reasonable baseline, then repeat the exercise re-tuning the entire system rather than just the shocks.  But that would require many sessions to do properly and would be totally useless to our class other than demonstrating that shocks do matter.

The bottom line is that in the right hands shocks can make a huge difference, but not likely from a simple swap into our typical setup.  In our case, if you have the SM package optimized to your liking and can drive it to the limit, then changing the shocks to someone else's formula and making no other adjustments is unlikely to impress you as a big improvement, and may just make you slower as some have said.  Even if you re-optimize the rest of the system (within the rules) the best you can hope for is relatively small, the rest of the system still sorta sucks.  So forget talk of a full second from a shock that passes even the earlier specs, the simple test of countless races over the years is proof enough, but if a total re-tune around those tweaked shocks is worth a solid 0.2 at his next majors, I'd probably bet Jim his $5k that he wouldn't give that up happily. :)   It doesn't have to be an 1 second issue to be a relevant issue.

gerglmuff2, I think Peter has been exceptionally harsh on you primarily for your use of certain terminology, but that aside there obviously are some significant differences between road racing and auto-x and it seems reasonable for you to examine those.  What you seemed not to consider when contemplating where shocks make a bigger difference is in the comparatively long stretches between corners where shocks aren't doing much but you are "banking" time saved as the result of improved exit speed.  We are indeed spending far less time working the shocks under cornering loads but even a slight improvement exiting a corner pays dividends long after the shocks are out of the picture.  That can be just as important as time spent in the corner, and often far more.   Anyway, stick around, more voices from people willing to think, discuss and rethink is good IMO.

i think this sums it up well.  see also, i never said shocks are not important in road racing.

the only thing i would say is that by definition the shock is not doing anything when the suspension is nominally not moving. it can't. a damper is first derivative device. the argument is simply that the frequency and magnitude, and time as a percent of a lap-time, that the shock is being worked, is much higher in autocross. as a result, when determining where to spend precious time and money, in autocross, you go buy/test/valve your shocks better. in spec miata, you go and buy a better engine. because 3hp matters more to your lap time than idealized shocks, compared to 3hp not mattering one bit in autocross, and shocks making a huge difference. 

you do different things with your cars, and different parts will be more important than other parts. that isn't crazy, thats just engineering, spend your resources where they make they biggest difference. 

no where does this statement disagree with the notion that having even a slight advantage in corner exit speed, adding up to several mph at the end of a long straight. thats just basic driving 101, in fact i stated as such much earlier in saying that having a digressive rebound that blows off at high frequency would probably allow for esp over curbing, with a torsen diff, you to get on the power earlier and thus be faster. getting on the power even 5 feet sooner is a big advantage in our low powered cars. 

i think there are some assumptions that based on me being new to road racing, me not understanding fundamentals about suspension function or driving technique. its understandable, if annoying to have to sit here and say "yeah, i knew that, knowing that is why i think what i think" 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

So to sum up this thread, virtually all competitors that visit here look forward to a tighter shock rule for 2018? 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

virtually 

K. Webb